Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Titan Outpost Released

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Holding off for Ganymede DLC, can't believe they went for Titan, so overdone by now.

Deleted Member 22431

From the Steam page

Violence is Rarely the Answer: Combat in Unrest is rare and always avoidable. When faced with the possibility of death, it's up to you to decide how much you're willing to risk.

Try another
This is a silly argument. Your point was that combat is integral to cRPG gameplay, not choice and consequence. Saying that a game must have zero combat to prove that it is not combat-oriented is silly. It is obvious that Unrest is not a combat-centric game. It's all a matter of degree.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
From the Steam page

Violence is Rarely the Answer: Combat in Unrest is rare and always avoidable. When faced with the possibility of death, it's up to you to decide how much you're willing to risk.

Try another
This is a silly argument. Your point was that combat is integral to cRPG gameplay, not choice and consequence.

I said no such thing, you just lack reading comprehension, all I said was that there are no cRPGs without combat.

But nice moving the goal post

Last edited:

Deleted Member 22431

I said no such thing, you just lack reading comprehension, all I said was that there are no cRPGs without combat.
But that's a weak statement and does not help me decide whether a cRPG should be combat-centric or not in order to be a genuine cRPG, or a good cRPG at all. The point is whether cRPGs should be about combat. Saying that all cRPGs have combat does not prove that point.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
But that's a weak statement and does not help me decide whether a cRPG should be combat-centric or not in order to be a genuine cRPG, or a good cRPG at all. The point is whether cRPGs should be about combat. Saying that all cRPGs have combat does not prove that point.

If you want to argue with your imaginary version of myself, you're free to do so, but don't expect me to join

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
2 reviews after 5 days.

Yeah, probably a good thing it lost traction right away. I'm working around the clock on a patch. The game is unplayable for a lot of players due to some really, really stupid mistakes on my part. I've already fixed the most glaring game-breaking issues, but I don't want to roll out the patch until I made sure.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I've got a few games to clear through first, but I'm looking forward to playing this in the next few months.

Saduj

Arcane
Saying that a game isn’t an RPG because there is no combat and the proof is that no other RPGs lack combat is a circular, illogical argument.

That is all.

Deleted Member 22431

If you want to argue with your imaginary version of myself, you're free to do so, but don't expect me to join
That's the principle of charity. I'm arguing with an improved version of yourself because you are too stupid to make a compelling case for your point.

Murk

Arcane
Looks interesting to me -- will check it out once the patch is out. Congrats on your release!

Skdursh

Savant

Have you ever heard of the "no true scotsman" logical fallacy? How about bandwagoning? Composition and division? Maybe black-or-white? What I'm really trying to get around to saying here is that I think you're an idiot.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Have you ever heard of the "no true scotsman" logical fallacy? How about bandwagoning? Composition and division? Maybe black-or-white? What I'm really trying to get around to saying here is that I think you're an idiot.

No, please explain all those in detail, I think nobody around here ever heard about those

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Ouch, a genuine ad hominem, must hurt when you can't say anything substantial

Like name a cRPG without any combat

zeitgeist

Magister
UA4t6nA.jpg

Nice Codex easter egg.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Titan Outpost. Now you’ll say Titan Outpost can’t be an RPG because it doesn’t have combat so there’s no point to your question.

Disco Elysium will have a few fights (I think they’re optional), though the combat is supposed to be mediated by the dialogue menu. But you could easily use their same system to make a CRPG with no combat, maybe a game where you’re a diplomat or a spy rather than a cop.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Titan Outpost. Now you’ll say Titan Outpost can’t be an RPG because it doesn’t have combat so there’s no point to your question.

Well, the developler himself said it has a conflict resolution mode, I would have to play it myself to see whether its a rudimentary combat mode or not

Harvest Moon is an example of an RPG without combat.

Seems like a legit example, like Alter Ego

You found a black swan and proved me wrong. Achievement unlocked
cat.gif

Horton

Educated
Well definitely need more Adventure RPGs and this is one of them, so good start Maybe?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
  • You can join two major factions, and choose to ally yourself with three independent organisations.
  • There are five completely distinct ways to end the game.
  • 33 quests, a lot of them with multiple sub-quests. They're called missions to fit the theme, but we all know what they are.
  • Continuous spherical world map lets you explore the entire moon with over 40 unique locations.
  • A sprawling hard sci-fi plot-line with a cast of 23 characters. The story has a couple of branches and, depending on who you trust, 22 unreliable narrators. Rely on your character's hacking skill or your awareness and insight to reveal the truth.
  • Expand your base by melting away water ice 'rock' and placing modular elements.
  • Gather allies or hire employees to get up to 8 people to populate your base
  • Multiple quest solutions and non-binary outcomes.
  • Discrete time system, where every passing second determines unfolding events and the game world continues while your character sleeps.
  • Logistical elements , think original Dune adventure meets the strategic layer of X-com.
  • Full soundtrack, fully voiced dialogue.
  • Realistic orbital system of Saturn for your astronomical pleasure.
For some reason I don't see romances in that list of bulletpoints. Perhaps you just accidentally failed to include them?

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why is the guy doing the voiceover slurring like he's really, really drunk but trying to act sober?

A non-combat RPG built by a dutchman... Tough choices with real C&C include deciding whether to use your land for cattle to produce cheese or using it to grow tulips.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom