Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CODEX VOTE: Best REAL-TIME Blobbers Of All Time (Non-Anime)

Which Are Your Favorite Real-TIme Blobbers?

• Total voters

Martyr

Arcane
is Ultima 7 RTwP? when I played it I had the impression that it is a fully automatical real time clusterfuck.

V_K

Arcane
It paused when you opened the character panel. It's mostly automated, but some things you had to do manually, like spellcasting for example.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Once you have to position multiple units, RTwP doesn't really give you any advantage over pure RT.

Isn't it the other way around? For single character games, RT may be okay like in Ultima Underworld. But for multiple characters, RT becomes a clusterfuck if there is no option to pause.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Speaking of which, the vote has now become a fourway head-to-head competition between Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore and Legend of Grimrock 2.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have never felt like the real time aspect added anything of value
Technically, it adds speed consideration. In a game like MM3, every action of every entity takes exactly one turn so you can't e.g. outrun an enemy once you realize combat isn't going great. A lot of environment mechanics (slamming a portcullis on an enemy, falling down a pit etc.) require very precise and granular timing that you can't have in a fully TB blobber.
That said, the addition of the autopause option in Vaporum was quite brilliant, and more RT blobbers should have it.

I see what you mean but the speed aspect can be addressed in turn based games as well. MM1&2 already had speed in form of initiative. You can easily add actions per turn our action points to reflect time more fully. And every roguelike has movement speed in the form of traversed tiles per turn. So it is perfectly possible to implement time without going the real time combat route.
The only thing that doesn't work in turn based combat is testing the players reaction time. But who wants that in a blobber. That is like asking for qtes...

V_K

Arcane
I see what you mean but the speed aspect can be addressed in turn based games as well. MM1&2 already had speed in form of initiative. You can easily add actions per turn our action points to reflect time more fully.
And once again, it's a very combat-centric perspective, which is just wrong for this kind of game. Neither initiative, nor action points would affect both PCs' and monsters' interactions with other dungeon elements.
I don't know about other roguelikes, but ADoM, for example, is essentially RTwP with automatic pause.

Efe

Erudite
adom isnt real time, it just auto ends turn until you are able to act and uses larger precision speed/initiative system ..
more like those jrpgs with filling action bars

V_K

Arcane
adom isnt real time, it just auto ends turn until you are able to act and uses larger precision speed/initiative system ..
more like those jrpgs with filling action bars
Which are filling in what? Real time. They're effectively the same as full-character cooldowns RT blobbers employ. Wizards&Warriors work the same way, only with a party.

EDIT: Actually, no - they're not the same. With action bar system, any action empties the bar completely, but some actions require you to wait for a bigger portion of it to fill. In ADoM your character acts and then is put on cooldown, the length of which is depending on the action. Which is more or less the same as what RT blobbers do, only ADoM pauses automatically when the cooldown ends (the major difference being that in RT blobber you can still move while your chars are on cooldowns).

Last edited:

Efe

Erudite
so its action bar system with variable cost instead of full bar minimum?
why are you stretching real time so much but be completely rigid with my example?

in fact what you are saying implies every turn based game thats not 1 to 1 turns is real time with auto pause

PrettyDeadman

When the vote for best anime rt and best anime tb blobbers happen? When vote for best overall (anime & nonanime) rt blobber and tb blobber happen? I am personally not interested in best anime or nonanime, only in best overall.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

V_K

Arcane
in fact what you are saying implies every turn based game thats not 1 to 1 turns is real time with auto pause
In principle, there is no meaningful difference between a single-character turn-based game with simultaneous turn resolution and a single-character RTwP game with autopause, yes. With multiple player characters things get more complicated.
RT blobbers are in a way also not pure RT because actions take longer than their animations and operate on discreet time units. It's very evident e.g. in how Grimrock enemies have to pause for a bit after moving a tile.

Candide

Educated
I have good memories playing DM and especially DM2 - the surprise death by lightning when outside, the trees in the swamp that ran away to hide among other trees when they were low on health, the little shit that stole your weapons and you had to chase him to get them back, the magical minions that would attack you and follow you across the levels (later you could conjure your own minions) etc etc. Grimrock scratched that itch well and Grimrock 2 is almost perfect (save for not being able to kill monsters by dropping doors on them).

Martyr

Arcane
it is decided - I'm getting Dungeon Master 2 for my birthday this year. :obviously:
when I was stalking my lady's e-mail account this afternoon, I saw that she's already ordered it. I'm looking forward to that game, which mostly has to do with that rainy hedge maze/ wilderness section. if the game turns out to be shit, I've at least got another big box to add to my small collection.

Dorateen

Arcane
Upon reflection of the Eye of the Beholder series, I would place II: The Legend of Darkmoon higher than the first. I thought Dran was a better antagonist, the kind that appears and provokes the party throughout the adventure. Progression hits that sweet spot of mid-level AD&D. And importing characters from a previous game is a forgotten feature, not explored as much by developers these days.

SiENcE

Barely Literate
I always find such votings questionable.

Without everyone having played all the games, this voting has no clear statement. It only tells you, which games are more popular. Nothing more.

Of course people only choose the games they played. So everyone would have to indicate beside the choice, also which games they know/have played at all.

PrettyDeadman

Not a blobber.
I've seen first person dungeon crawling on gameplay vids, not sure if it wasd rt or tb.
I feel like its in the same category as Lords of Xumilia. If its placed as a blobber while having isometric exploration with blobber combat (and dungeon exploring AFAIK) so should be Warriors. It's literally the same game modes. I am pretty sure.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Only pure blobbers are listed here - the ones that are blobbers in both combat and exploration.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Not a blobber.
I've seen first person dungeon crawling on gameplay vids, not sure if it wasd rt or tb.
I feel like its in the same category as Lords of Xumilia. If its placed as a blobber while having isometric exploration with blobber combat (and dungeon exploring AFAIK) so should be Warriors. It's literally the same game modes. I am pretty sure.

It's a special case, it has turn-based combat in the top down parts and real-time combat in the blobber sections, really odd mix

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom