Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
the demo was just OK iirc, will wait for codex impressions on the full game.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The demo indicated that the team developing Stygian were heavily influenced by Fallout 1's approach to character development and world responsiveness to your skills, but also hinted that the Stygian team had very limited technical experience with Unity and/or game development.

Their ability to technically execute Stygian is my largest concern. I hope I'm wrong.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
The demo indicated that the team developing Stygian were heavily influenced by Fallout 1's approach to character development and world responsiveness to your skills, but also hinted that the Stygian team had very limited technical experience with Unity and/or game development.

Their ability to technically execute Stygian is my largest concern. I hope I'm wrong.
I'm ready to go through five years of non-stop patching Kingmaker-style. :bunkertime:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Just finished the demo for this today. Was pretty cool.

Hopefully it's not very linear and there are better "dungeons" than the bank.

Think I'll get this one if it gets released on GOG.

Jinn

Arcane
Okay, so the game comes out September 26. Let's add to this around 4-6 months of patching, another 6 months for DLC... yep, I'll play the game in about a year. :(

Or you could just do your first playthrough and deal with a few possible bugs along the way, then enjoy a second playthrough a year later. When did people become so intolerant of some bugs in a PC game? It's always come with the territory and it's usually hardly enough to warrant any true animosity towards the game. Not to mention that the game is meant to be highly replayable with different builds.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Or you could just do your first playthrough and deal with a few possible bugs along the way, then enjoy a second playthrough a year later. When did people become so intolerant of some bugs in a PC game? It's always come with the territory and it's usually hardly enough to warrant any true animosity towards the game. Not to mention that the game is meant to be highly replayable with different builds.

In my experience, it's typically better to wait for the most polished version than to deal with a bunch of crashes, broken quests, and unbalanced systems.

(not this time though, I'm obligated to submit a review)

Black Angel

Arcane
I'm ready to go through five years of non-stop patching Kingmaker-style. :bunkertime:

5 years of non-stop patching AND the game still being basically non-functional on some machines.
Hey now, I wouldn't want this game to be like Fallout 3.
I would happily trade Fallout 3 for being able to play PFKM.
What a coincidence! I'm sure that wish can be granted by playing this game and praising the Great Old Ones.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
https://steamcommunity.com/games/779290/announcements/detail/1591379507773863498

UPDATE 3 - A Detailed look at Travelling, Darkness and more!

ov8ilu.jpg

We hail you, Worshipper of The Interminable Desolation

Here we are once again with new macabre tales that are invoked from the realms of endless depravity, where we are cooking the deliciously loathsome meal called Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones. Let's start our journey through the endless bleakness without further ado.

Here in this update, we'd like to start off by talking about how one can travel this damned world of ours.

The map system is an important aspect of Stygian which adds another layer of gameplay to the experience, supported also by some basic survival systems built around it. Whether it's a must-go destination of a quest stage, specific hub or the location of a random encounter, all points of interest in a given instance will be displayed in the maps of the game.

There are two kinds of maps in the game: Area Maps and the Regional Map. A good example of an Area Map is the map of downtown Arkham, which displays various hubs within the downtown area. These hubs will be accessed manually, through regular means of travelling in the exploration screen.

57t8ag.png

The Downtown Area Map with four different hubs which the party can travel to.

Then there is the Regional Map, which shows the landmarks and hubs in the greater area of the game world. The party is able to travel long distances in the regional map, but in order to do that, the player must acquire the necessary information pertaining to the location and content of those landmarks.

The Regional Travel Map has several features like text log, which displays information that's relevant to all map events and the condition of party members. Other indicators include Kerosene meter (showing how much source for illumination you have left), Health bar, Sanity bar, Resource panel and finally; Rest and Halt buttons.

s99ua0.png

Here's how the Regional Travel Map looks like during a journey through the suburbs.

There are two types of map encounters: Obligatory and Random. Obligatory encounters are derived from quests and appear at a certain stage during quest progression. Random encounters on the other hand, as their name implies, will appear to the player through other variables and luck plays a big factor. The random encounters might take place as one of the many battle scenarios or as challenges in the style of a "choose your adventure" game, where the player will utilize its skills and stats through the selection of various dialogue options.

Next up on our unwholesomely nourishing recipe, we have some systems that we believe should make the game striking, if not unique among its peers.

Darkness Mechanics

Darkness itself will be one of your adversaries in Stygian. In a dimension without sunlight you'll be needing the company of your good old lantern more often than not and of course this will come at the expense of your precious Kerosene.

If you find yourself in darkness without a light source you'll start losing sanity. If you enter a combat scenario without a party member carrying a light source you'll have serious disadvantages against enemies (especially the ones that can see in the dark; such as Pickman ghouls).

Darkness mechanics video:

There are two levels of darkness in Stygian: Dark and Pitch-black. Pitch black represents a supernatural level of darkness that drains your sanity, even while holding a light source. Please note that we are not responsible for the strange visions you may see in pitch-black environments. Blame your own dark past for it...

Item Comparison

Are you among those who like to min-max your combat potential? Do you find yourself comparing every little stat out there to maximize the pain you'll induce to your enemies? Then this system is for you! (You'll die anyway...)

Whenever you check the statistics of a weapon, you'll be able to see which stats are higher or lower than your currently equipped weapons, thanks to green and red coloured indicators.

Item comparsion video:

If you like a deeper comparison, you can always see the stats of your equipped weapon with a simple right click and examine both items' properties in detail.

Lastly, let's heed the call of the irrepressible voice that only gets louder with each passing minute in this extra-dimensional asylum. Lo and behold: The Madness Mechanics.

As we emphasized before, sometimes it helps to be mad in a world gone mad!

c9ifcl.jpg

Mania

Increases Action Points but gives the character a small chance to lose control and attack the nearest enemy unit in combat.

Paranoia

Increases Reaction but gives the character a small chance to attack an ally in combat.

Schizophrenia

Increases Mental Resistance but gives the character a small chance to enter a catatonic state and lose a combat round.

Psychopathy

Increases Critical Chance but gives the character a small chance to lose a certain amount of Sanity after killing a foe.

Until the next update cult brethren!

Continue dreaming the glorious fall.

Team Cultic

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1698219403/stygian-a-lovecraftian-computer-rpg/posts/2588761
Cultists Wanted for Gamescom!

Greetings brethren,

We’re going to desecrate another fairground attraction soon: Gamescom, where we, the Cleansed congregate and spread the word in the name of the Great Old Ones each year.

And this time, we need your help in that, brethren! If you are residing in Germany (preferably Cologne), you have the chance to wear the Cultic robes and promote the game with us! In exchange, we'll handle your Gamescom tickets and lend you the temporary cultist set (includes robes, sabot clogs and items we don't like to mention here).

Warning: This would include a lot of chanting, Old One worshiping, ritual dancing and some other forms of hell-raising which would last for a few days.

Of course you'll have your free time in between the scheduled events but you'll be wearing the robes at all times.

It is, of course, the privilege of our backers to consider this offer before we break its secrecy and make it public to the Wretched Folk waiting to snatch the robes outside.

Make haste, fellow cultists; time won’t wait in this reality.

Team Cultic

835d8256aa0f4303d29a1fd3d6456b3f_original.jpg

_Vic_

Educated
I know this is not the steam forum and excuse me if the question is a brand of that forum but

Ed: Iratus: lord of the dead or Stygian?

Jinn

Arcane

Well first of all, they are totally different types of games. Second, Iratus will be in Early Access for at least another year, while Stygian is coming out in full in little over a month.

It's a really strange "one or the other?" type of question considering how different their gameplay is. But Stygian I guess? I'd recommend taking a closer look at both to see what type of gameplay would be more appealing to you.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I know this is not the steam forum and excuse me if the question is a brand of that forum but

They both have free demos that you can try right now. Do you want to play a Lovecraftian homage to Fallout 1/2 and Planescape: Torment, or do you want to play edgelord Darkest Dungeon?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I will d1 purchase it on Steam ofc, to support the devs, but would love a GoG release as well
Going by https://steamcommunity.com/app/779290/discussions/0/1777136225037850640/ it appears they want to but they could very well end up rejected. :M
Has GOG ever declined to sell a game from publisher that has already established presence on their store (on this case 1C)?

Denied games that have drawn Codex attention have so far been from indie devs without such backing, such as Grimoire or Vigilantes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom