Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

U-8D8

Savant
The new Devblog.

57e3a8fa5d48770e33ec836d692282e897a4ddb1.jpg

Greetings warriors of Calradia!

It is that time of year again where we head off to Gamescom to showcase Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord. However, this year, things are a little different... For the first time ever we will be presenting the game in both the business and public areas of the event. This means that anyone with a ticket can come along to one (or both!) of our booths to play the game for themselves. This is a completely new experience for us and we are sure there will be many unforeseen challenges that crop up, but, so far, our preparations have been going well and we are really excited to be able to show the game in (somewhat) its entirety!

Last year, we took the early-game of Bannerlord’s vast sandbox campaign to the business area of the show, along with 3 premade characters to ensure that players didn’t miss out on any gameplay by spending all of their allotted time in our deep character creation system. This year, guests will be able to choose between the same 3 premade characters, but with a bit of a twist! This time around, we see the characters 10 years on in their adventures, putting players squarely in the mid-game of the campaign.
blog_post_102_taleworldswebsite_02.png

This comes with a shift in focus for this year’s demo, with an emphasis put on the large-scale, epic battles and sieges that are unique to Mount & Blade games. However, with this being a sandbox game, players will still be free to choose their own path and roam the continent of Calradia, experiencing many of the different features that we have detailed throughout this series of blogs. Of course, we will be at hand to offer advice and guidance, but players will be largely left to their own devices which should lead to some interesting and diverse content coming out for you all to enjoy.

Over in the public area, players will be able to experience the multiplayer side of the game in the form of Captain mode, a team-based PvP game mode that puts players in command of their own detachment AI troops. Captain mode is just one of the new multiplayer game modes to be introduced in Bannerlord, but we feel this particular game mode is a good representation of what Mount & Blade games are all about: putting players in control of their own AI troops that they command and fight alongside in large battles.

Next week, will give you an update directly from Cologne to ensure that you don’t miss out on anything that we have to show or announce during the event, so make sure to check back then!
blog_post_102_taleworldswebsite_03.jpg

Before anyone gets their hopes up, they've said in the past that they don't plan to give the release date at gamescom.

Aemar

Arcane
Last year, we took the early-game of Bannerlord’s vast sandbox campaign to the business area of the show, along with 3 premade characters to ensure that players didn’t miss out on any gameplay by spending all of their allotted time in our deep character creation system. This year, guests will be able to choose between the same 3 premade characters, but with a bit of a twist! This time around, we see the characters 10 years on in their adventures, putting players squarely in the mid-game of the campaign.
Translation:

2018: character creation and early-game campaigning
2019: mid-game campaign showcase
2020: late-game campaign
2021: succession mechanics showcase

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
According to legend there are three things that man cannot know: The day when you will die, the true name of Allah, and when Mount & Blade 2 will be released.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
M&B multiplayer was ass, there's few things I have less interest in.

I don't understand why they're forever postponing this thing. The original M&B was probably the first early access game I played, I think I bought into it at like version 0.2 or so. I would just forget about pretty much every other game after this vaporware hell, but I still go back to Warband now and would love it in a newer engine.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Warband's MP is still played today though, with big events and international championships and stuff like that. Don't care about this one bit, but it has been supporting the game and the devs this long. So that's nice.
Also MP testing allows them to balance and bughunt the combat pretty well.

Andronovo

Learned
I don't hold it against Taleworlds at all for taking this long to put it out. Unless they break some sort of promise, they can take all the time they want. That said, their PR work has been catastrophic and it has probably cost them millions. If they had just waited to start teasing people until it was certain they were on a final build they could have just ridden the hype train to stupendous sales. Even if it took ten years the worshipful attitude fans had for Mount & Blade would have stuck around. Just remember how much hype there was for Bannerlord in 2016. Imagine if they released a solid sequel with that level of attention on them. They wouldn't have had to spend a cent on marketing and still would have sold probably 4 million copies in the first year.

March 2020
Brotip: It will be delayed.

Remember, you heard it here first!

It's less likely to happen with early access. My theory is the game is in a sorry state but someone on high stopped the Turkish government bankrolling the game. So now they have to release and hope that they can get funds to finish the game. I realise the game has been in development for a long time but dev time means nothing if you just spend it chasing unimportant bullshit you end up cutting from the game during crunch anyway.

I'm really starting to suspect Bannerlord is going to end up as the big gaming controversy of 2020/

Modron

Arcane
Don't see why they wouldn't do the unfinished sp + mp route considering mount and blade or whatever it was originally called did this a decade before early access was a thing.

Aemar

Arcane
My theory is the game is in a sorry state but someone on high stopped the Turkish government bankrolling the game. So now they have to release and hope that they can get funds to finish the game.
A valid theory and most probably the actual reason they have announced the release of the game in an EA state. At least the people from Taleworlds know well about managing EA titles, since they're the ones who basically put EA on the map.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom