Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Controversial opinions about RPGs that you know deep down are true.

Zevitu

Literate
FFXII has the best RtWP combat, and it's miles ahead of any Rtwp game released to this day. And nobody add any of the cool ideas from FFXII because ppl want muh baldur's gate

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
FFXII has the best RtWP combat, and it's miles ahead of any Rtwp game released to this day. And nobody add any of the cool ideas from FFXII because ppl want muh baldur's gate
I prefer Baldur's Gate's, mouse and faraway view are better suited to control a party. Besides I don't like any AI-control or automated behaviors, repeated simple attacks and the ability to queue actions are enough.

FFXII has some cool boss encounters but so do Baldur's Gate 1&2 and Icewind Dale 1&2.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The unique good FF is FF 1. Why? No protagonist like

iu

Hyperion

Arcane
I didn't mean its ok to load a house, that is Obsidian level incompetence
FTFY. PoE2's dungeon design is unforgivable incompetence on Obsidian's part. 2 room dungeons that take 15 minutes (on TB mode to boot) to complete are a joke. In fact, PoE2 is a downgrade from PoE1 (Codex for some reason prefers PoE2) on all fronts except multiclassing is kinda fun. But even then, when you actually look at the classes, Paladin / Chanter shits on everything else for every possible role in the game, save for maybe a pure-classed Monk with stacked Power Level for damage.

Tank? Pala / Chant - just Summon Ogres and you have a 3-man tank machine. Give him that Sabre from Neketata for a fre Empower EVERY FIGHT. and it's available 2 hours into the game.
DPS? Pala / Chant - Just give him one of the many damage phrases, and spellcasted chants along with Paladin's Flame attacks and the dozen fire damage scaling items out there like Magran's axe and that flail
Healer? Hope you didn't roll a Priest because they're so worthless this game that Ancient Memory by itself does more healing than anything a Priest can throw at your team
Disabler? Good thing the Chanter has pretty much every possible CC and debuff known to man, including an instant-cast Paralyze with a cone that hits 1/2 the battlefield
Buffer? Good thing the Chanter also has access to every possible buff known to man.

This isn't even taking into account the Paladin side of things, that gives you things like resurrect, massive heal, your choice of passive AoE buffs, CC immunity, haste, damage reduction, etc. etc.

*Note: My experience is wholly with TB mode, because I can't tolerate any more RTwP, so while the game isn't 100% balanced (TM) around it, I'd still say it's indicative enough of the overall experience to cast judgment.

Play PoE1 using IEMod and use add ability / talent to mimic PoE2's multiclassing system to the best of your ability and you'll find it's way more fun to build classes than PoE2.

use an oversized katana, have an cartoon artstyle, etc. There are any jRPG protagonist that uses something that was actually useful against armor and large creatures instead of an sword?
:nocountryforshitposters:Dark Souls is as anime as it gets. It's basically Berzerk, the game.

1491859806_ds3.jpg

dark-soul-3-pontiff-knight-curved-sword.jpg

You really have not a single clue as to just how Japanese Dark Souls is, you just see a bland color palette and suddenly your fragile ego can tolerate it. Drab color palettes for drab people, I suppose. Codex cro-magnons never fail to impress with their mental gymnastics to try and spin the "JRPGs are shit" mantra to try and convince themselves the West isn't fucking done in all aspects. Enjoy your political agenda, piss poor combat systems, and tryhard storytelling that results in something worse than your average teenage JRPG save the world garbage (talking to you Cisquisiton, and PoE2).

instead of allowing you to use halberds, spears, axes, throw bombs, use magic, etc
Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy 12, Last Remnant, Stranger of Sword City (I already commented on it being a fundamentally flawed game with great art), Dragon Force, SaGa series, Nioh.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Dark Souls is as anime as it gets. It's basically Berzerk, the game.

hyperion, Dark Souls 3 is very anime like and IMO is the weakest one.

• The game is the most linear one(i hate linearity)
  • The game is too focused on speed
  • Too much focus on swords and overswinging movements.
  • Too much gimmicky bosses
  • Armor is useless(when the correct is buff armor, not make poise useless)
  • <...>

I hate with Passion oversizes swords. They make ZERO sense. First the unique advantage of an sword over an poleaxe for eg, is that the sword is much portable, if you make an ridiculous large sword, even if you have 20x the average human strength, an poleaxe would be much better. I like Berserk, but if Guts have used historically accurate weapons, it would be much better IMO, breaks a little of my suspension of disbelief seeing it. Point made, i will look to this games that you mentioned. Fire Emblem looks interesting BTW.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Sorry, wrong - check out Amano's concept art for FF1 to see the truth.
Kraken2.jpg

I think this is meant to be the Thief? Maybe the Warrior, but headband makes me think Thief. Either way, clearly a pretty-boy twink.
C_O4JsrUIAEGIUt.jpg

Counterpoint: Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun had a greater influence on Final Fantasy than on any Western CRPG prior to Age of Decadence. :M

Four of the five covers pictured above were drawn by Yoshitaka Amano, and at least the first two books were published in Japan prior to the release of the original Final Fantasy.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
People who say "mage battles" about BG2 instantly disqualify themselves from having brians. Shit never fucking existed.
You buffed up and chugged potions while bruteforcing through everything they got or killed them before they could even get it up. Shit was created by SCS.
And even there, casting the same 3 removal spells is oh so tactical!

Swigen

Arbiter
The SMT/Persona gaem's gameplay loop is utterly retarded. None of the monsters besides the elementals have any “tells” as to what they’re weak to so combat against new enemies consists of trying every fucking possible attack and starting over when you finally find a weakness, or just, you know, looking it up on the internet. Must’ve been an incredibly tedious series to play pre-net.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
RPGs are fundamentally low-skill games.
I mostly agree because skill relates more to twitchy action games. Intelligence though is a very different matter.

RPGs should require the accumulation and application of vast amounts of knowledge. If newbies and casuals can step right in and start kicking ass, it's no good.

You should have to read a 100 page manual before you can play an RPG. Or the equivalent in experimentation. Point is, there should be a solid barrier to entry, lots to learn, and lots to apply.

Modron

Arcane
Sure thing grandma, what was the last game to even have a decent manual? ToEE?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Sure thing grandma, what was the last game to even have a decent manual? ToEE?
I think that is more to do with the fact that once you know AD&D, you can play most RPGs and kick ass. Imagine playing TOEE if you had never played an RPG before, it would totally bust your balls unless you learned about 1000 things. But if you already completed the BG games, IWD, etc. then you already know most stuff. I like AD&D but I wish there were more RPGs that had other foundations.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Pathfinder > 3.5e and 5e.

Now an opinion that is not controversial in codex but is in other places. WoWfication ruined mmos and is ruining single player RPG's. When i mean wowfication, i mean tons of mechanics that makes zero sense like cooldowns, armor that looks like carnival suits, stats linked towards gear, etc.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Pathfinder > 3.5e and 5e.

Now an opinion that is not controversial in codex but is in other places. WoWfication ruined mmos and is ruining single player RPG's. When i mean wowfication, i mean tons of mechanics that makes zero sense like cooldowns, armor that looks like carnival suits, stats linked towards gear, etc.

Imagine complaining about armours looking like carnival suits while advocating for Pathfinder..

Vatnik Wumao
RPGs are fundamentally low-skill games.
I mostly agree because skill relates more to twitchy action games. Intelligence though is a very different matter.

RPGs should require the accumulation and application of vast amounts of knowledge. If newbies and casuals can step right in and start kicking ass, it's no good.

You should have to read a 100 page manual before you can play an RPG. Or the equivalent in experimentation. Point is, there should be a solid barrier to entry, lots to learn, and lots to apply.

But then no one would actually buy RPGs

Ash

Arcane
If you said "but they're not RPGs" I wouldn't be able to argue, but no, they sometimes have good gameplay. :M

Which?

I've played the Final Fantasy series, most of the Dragon Quest series (hated pretty much all of them), some of Fire Emblem series (hated it), and then:
some Phantasy Star games, Secret of Mana, MOTHER, EarthBound, MOTHER 3, Chrono Trigger, some Pokemon games and some shit games I can barely remember like Breath of Fire.

I liked a few of those games (mainly just Final Fantasy and EarthBound) but I wouldn't say any of them have particularly strong gameplay. The best you can hope for is that the combat isn't actively awful, and that the game doesn't force you to grind at certain points.

I made a list a while back, actually: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/any-jrpgs-i-should-play.118743/#post-5339238

I can see why you hold this belief. All of what you list indeed has shit gameplay: Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Phantasy Star, Secret of Mana. You were sold a lie that those are good games, as was I until I tried them.

I'm no authority on JRPGs as I haven't played THAT many, but am gameplayfag so make of it what you will.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom