Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bard's Tale Trilogy remaster gets major update, Wasteland remaster coming in Q4 2019

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: inXile Entertainment; Krome Studios; The Bard's Tale Trilogy; Wasteland Remastered

Krome Studios' remaster of The Bard's Tale Trilogy was unexpectedly one of the coolest RPG releases of the past year. Thanks to Microsoft's acquisition of inXile, they've been able to keep on supporting it for longer than anybody would have expected. Of course, that comes with the price of porting the game to Xbox and the Microsoft Store, but the new patch Krome released yesterday can be enjoyed by everybody. Its major features include multiple language support, new portraits, an in-game manual and bestiary, new tilesets, visual effects and more. The full patch notes are available here. You can catch a glimpse of some of those features in the game's new launch trailer:

I mentioned it in a previous newspost, but this is a good opportunity to reiterate that Krome's Wasteland 30th Anniversary Edition remaster was confirmed for release in Q4 2019 the other week. inXile's community manager shared these two screenshots of it on Reddit:

As for Wasteland 3, today inXile announced that they've begun sending out alpha keys to eligible backers, although it won't be downloadable until August 21st. We won't have to wait quite that long to see some gameplay however, because inXile plan to unveil a new trailer on August 19th, during Microsoft's Inside Xbox show at Gamescom.

muckguppy

Prophet
Aha! Just in time, I was wading through character creation over and over again, and that UI is a pain in the ass like it always was.
Looking forward to this little baby. I Hope the visuals don't gut the atmosphere the original had!

JDR13

Arcane
Definitely looking forward to this. I tried getting into Wasteland a few years back, but it was too dated for me without the nostalgia of having played it back in the day.

I hope they fix the skills that were broken/useless in the original.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Definitely looking forward to this. I tried getting into Wasteland a few years back, but it was too dated for me without the nostalgia of having played it back in the day.

Some skills had limited utility, but nothing really broken. They only way to fix this would be to really redesign the whole game

JDR13

Arcane

Some skills had limited utility, but nothing really broken. They only way to fix this would be to really redesign the whole game

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there were at least one or two skills that didn't work as intended.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there were at least one or two skills that didn't work as intended.

You're talking about the PC version exclusive Combat Shooting that doesn't do anything, not sure it really needs fixing, just deactivate it

Last edited:

Robert Erick

Educated
in exile's obsession with Bard's Tale is like an overbearing mother's obsession with her 30 year old son that's still living in her basement. This series is not producing any money and it's seen largely as an embarrassment by anyone who's familiar with it, but mommy still tries, bless her heart. Perhaps her efforts should be better spent on innovating and creating new IPs instead of releasing old titles with technology that's constantly 10 years behind the mainstream.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
in exile's obsession with Bard's Tale is like an overbearing mother's obsession with her 30 year old son that's still living in her basement. This series is not producing any money and it's seen largely as an embarrassment by anyone who's familiar with it, but mommy still tries, bless her heart. Perhaps her efforts should be better spent on innovating and creating new IPs instead of releasing old titles with technology that's constantly 10 years behind the mainstream.

The original trilogy is okay and worth playing, the 4th part not

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I still haven't finished BT3 Remastered. Got very near the end but then got burnt out. Didn't feel it was as good as BT1 & 2. Still have the game saves on my cloud in the unlikely event I ever complete it though.

muckguppy

Prophet

Better page Mr. Gates

JDR13

Arcane

You're talking about the PC version exclusive Combat Shooting that doesn't do anything, not sure it really needs fixing, just deactivate it

Or they could make it work similar to how it works in Wasteland 2.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wish Dragon Wars would get a Krome Studios remake too.

I think these guys should be contracted to remake all the Apple II/C64 RPGs from the 1980s. Seriously, no reason it couldn't happen. They have a proven track record and they work on a budget. People should be sending letters to EA about Ultima, WOTC about Gold Box, etc.

mindfields

Learned
should be better spent on innovating and creating new IPs instead of releasing old titles with technology that's constantly 10 years behind the mainstream.
The problem with BT4 was that it was too streamlined and "modernized", I mean 4 classes in a blobber, what a joke. The BT trilogy remaster probably sold more than BT4 because unlike BT4 it actually had an audience, while BT4 tried to appeal to everyone and as a result appealed to noone.

That's strange. I did the same few years ago and I didn't have the same problems. The only problems I had was that using separating party members UI took too much time use which went against the idea of using this mechanic to experiment and that you were basically playing in the god mode because no enemies could kill you.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I still haven't finished BT3 Remastered. Got very near the end but then got burnt out. Didn't feel it was as good as BT1 & 2. Still have the game saves on my cloud in the unlikely event I ever complete it though.
Wait did they release parts 2&3 already??? When I got the trilogy you only pay one was finished.

Regarding Wasteland. I really don't like the screenshots so far. T they somehow feel off. And it isn't just nostalgia. I played wasteland for the first time only a couple of years ago and was amazed how well it held up. It even had animated portraits. Though maybe that was just the rerelease?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I think these guys should be contracted to remake all the Apple II/C64 RPGs from the 1980s. Seriously, no reason it couldn't happen. They have a proven track record and they work on a budget. People should be sending letters to EA about Ultima, WOTC about Gold Box, etc.
GOG/CDProjekt in 2015 purchased the rights to the Gold Box games, which had been in limbo due to SSI having disappeared into another company that was later acquired by yet another company, and the rights to the computer games at some point having passed to a fourth company that had no interest in them.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The original Gold Box tetralogy with this level of remaster would put those games on the top of any RPG list, no more excuses about dated graphics or bad controls/UI.

Wizardry 1-3 would also be cool, but the SNES port is already very good and follows the Japanese Wizardry enemy design, which I definitely prefer. Ultima IV-VI saga would be amazing too, shame that fucking EA owns that shit now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom