Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Adventure from 1983-1993 - missing title

Red Hatter

Novice
My best guess was to ask here, though I really don't have much clues to give.
For whatever reason I suddenly remembered 'playing' an adventure when I was a kid, some 30 years ago. I would really like to remember the title, so perhaps I might be able to play it again. But yeah, my memory is really fuzzy.

Clues:
-Whodunnit / Crime investigation setting
-Bubble-headed, Maniac Mansion-like characters and graphics
-some weird professor in it who keeps saying 'er...'
-platform could be anything from Commodore 64 to Amiga 600
-not really sure, but I think I got frustrated because you could even get killed early if you took the wrong steps?

Can anybody come up with an idea?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Are you certain that it wasn't Maniac Mansion itself?
C64 and Amiga graphics comparison:
maniac_mansion_03.gif
maniac_mansion_02.png

Other possibilities:
Adventures of Willy Beamish:
adventures_of_willy_beamish_03.png

Labyrinth:
labyrinth_02.gif

Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders:
zak_mckracken_02.gif
zak_mckracken_and_the_alien_mindbenders_02.png

You can look through all possible C64 and Amiga adventure games until you find it.

Red Hatter

Novice
Thanks for the links! There were times when I knew Maniac Mansion and Zack McKracken by heart, it was definitely not one of them. Same for Willy Beamish, also the graphics are already way too fancy. I don't know Labyrinth so far. And I will have a look into those links, but.. I'm afraid that's finding a needle in a hay stack :D
So wish me luck and any further help will still be appreciated.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Not really, if it was a point-and-click adventure game in the style of Maniac Mansion/Zak MacKracken the YouTube hipsters would have been all over it by now... so it's something similar.

Currently the only title I can think of is Cruise for a Corpse, but that doesn't quite fit the description.

Red Hatter

Novice
newtmonkey I didn't have access to DOS games at that time and the graphics don't fit either. Too colourful and not bubbleheady enough. It's still close to what I'm looking for though.
Unkillable Cat No, not Cruise for a Corpse.

I'm not willing to give up yet, but it really bothers me how I have not stumbled over that title again, although I was really into abandonware and adventures for some time. Wonder if it could have been some very local or indie stuff?
Also I wasn't aware how much murder mysteries were a thing back then.

Red Hatter

Novice
Found it! I tried several image searches by now and it really worked! That's a game title not made for search engines... 'The Detective Game'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom