Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm going to give a Psi-Shotgun build another shot after I'm done with this Spear build. Template coming soon.

ciox

Liturgist
I'm going to give a Psi-Shotgun build another shot after I'm done with this Spear build. Template coming soon.

Last build of that type that I tried was something like 9 PER, 9 WIL, 4 CON, 3 DEX... very focused on using Locus of Control and stuff like that to stay alive, it also couldn't use Leading Shot (5 DEX)...

It didn't go very well, next variant I would try is something like this, just a prototype.

STR: 6
DEX: 4
AGI: 5
CON: 9
PER: 8
WIL: 3
INT: 5

Level 4: +1 DEX for Leading Shot at Level 6
Level 8: +1 CON, Thick Skull
Level 12: +1 STR, Full Auto

Feats: Suppressive Fire, Opportunist, Sixth Shell, Kneecap Shot

Psi: Utility only - temporal spells for support, possibly cryostasis and other abilities that are not affected by skill and will

Armor: Infused Greater Siphoner Leather, Greater Siphoner Tabis (no sprint and low agility, so we'll go for low armor penalty and high natural movement points)

Blackmill

Scholar
Alright, this a bit ridiculous. I've done a dozen passes through the western part of the Core Ring and still haven't found Razor. Anyone know which map he's at? Say, starting from Silent Isle? I'm starting to think my game is bugged. If I go back to the captain and ask questions, Razor will speak like he did during the first briefing, but his portrait is black and his name will be "unknown", and he's not visible on screen.

Edit: Nevermind, I just need better perception.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
ciox

This is what I have in mind at level 1
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AQUDAwYICQYPAAAAAAAADw8AAAUFAAAFAA8PDw8AACtQKN-_

And this is it at level 30. http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgU...ewqBGQQDCoCtQKCwUKh7Cj8KXwpjCsFMpRSTCt0vCit-_

Lots of spare skill points considering Psychokinesis and Methatermics ony really need to be leveled to 30 and 70 respectively. I also think my feat order is way less than optimal, and to be honest I need to do some math regarding Shotgun Damage and how many feats I actually need to invest to make it a viable damage source to finish off all the low health enemies after they're nuked by Cryokentic Orb + Pyrokinesis + Grenade.

Armor would probably be Riot Gear or some Leather armor that used the expedition leathers as shown previously in this thread. Use strider boots to get movement speed, though no sprint definitely hurts. Use Power Management to get a chunky 1k+ capacity energy shield.

Tigranes

Arcane
15 minimum if a bit tough, higher is fine. Your underrail character is usually complete by level 12/14 anyway.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
ciox

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AQUDAwYICQYPAAAAAAAADw8AAAUFAAAFAA8PDw8AACtQKN-_

And this is it at level 30. http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgU...ewqBGQQDCoCtQKCwUKh7Cj8KXwpjCsFMpRSTCt0vCit-_

Lots of spare skill points considering Psychokinesis and Methatermics ony really need to be leveled to 30 and 70 respectively. I also think my feat order is way less than optimal, and to be honest I need to do some math regarding Shotgun Damage and how many feats I actually need to invest to make it a viable damage source to finish off all the low health enemies after they're nuked by Cryokentic Orb + Pyrokinesis + Grenade.

Armor would probably be Riot Gear or some Leather armor that used the expedition leathers as shown previously in this thread. Use strider boots to get movement speed, though no sprint definitely hurts. Use Power Management to get a chunky 1k+ capacity energy shield.

Paranoia on a 10 PER build!?

Edit:
Question 1: Why 70 on Temporal Manipulation?
Question 2: Why not Neural Overclocking?
Question 3: Where is Psycho-temporal Acceleration?

Last edited:

ciox

Liturgist
ciox

I think this will work out pretty well, it's basically full psi with a minimal allowance for shotguns.
Mobility will be a slight issue, especially since you'll want to get up close and personal if you don't have Leading Shot, but in a full psi build you'll probably just wait for them to come to you and use the shotgun to calmly take out the guys who barely manage to make it close to you.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Paranoia on a 10 PER build!?
Paranoia helps with initiative and the critical damage reduction is also nice considering we have okay constitution. Also not much else to pick
I think this will work out pretty well, it's basically full psi with a minimal allowance for shotguns.
Mobility will be a slight issue, especially since you'll want to get up close and personal if you don't have Leading Shot, but in a full psi build you'll probably just wait for them to come to you and use the shotgun to calmly take out the guys who barely manage to make it close to you.
Yeah you're right, which makes me think this build would be kinda lame. Basically a less effective Psi build that barely uses shotguns.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
As much as I like to help people out, I draw the line at enabling someone who can't be bothered to read the simplest instructions.

Of course, and this has nothing to do with your perma-butthurt from previous discussions we had. You know, the ones where I showed that you are a liar.

No, it really just has to do with you skipping over dialogue that clearly explains what to do in the game we're discussing here, and not with your delusions of being a shrewd Bitcoin tycoon and accompanying obnoxious rants.

For example, Parabalus and I disagree politically—which, sad to say, is probably why he sucked your post's cock with that positive rating (agenda-based Brofisting will never die)—yet I've had zero issues discussing Underrail with him.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?FAUDBwcNAwduAAAAAAAAUG4AAG5uRQBaAAAAAGUAZAhPOR7CsMKPJMKXwphTRSnfvw

This is the shotgun build I'll be rolling after my Spear. I'll be using some infused leathers for maximum mobility, and I probably will conclude with Strider and increased agility just because I love running around.

Does expertise affect shotguns? Description would suggest otherwise, unless you're intending on having another sidearm that takes advantage of it I'd swap for something else.. I'd also recommend some throwing just because it did wonders for me.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Anybody made a spear throwing build? Does the throwing damage of spears scales off throwing skill as well as strength?

Mine's going to hit level 25 pretty soon, works great... though, there's no such thing as a "spear throwing build." Spear throw is an albeit powerful support ability to what is overall a melee approach to the game. I need to tweak my build one more time before I post another link to it.

Throwing skill doesn't affect the damage of thrown spears, only the accuracy.

Parabalus

Arcane
Also, where can I get a doctor's pouch? Constantine sells a lot of belts just never the doctor's pouch. And I didn't have the action points to loot that guy in the arena who I think has one.

Lunatic Psychopaths (the stealthed TC knife guys) drop them with a very high %.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I've always been able to get one near the beginning of the game, regardless of playthrough. Old Jonas, maybe? Arena and Lunatics seems pretty late.

Parabalus

Arcane
I've always been able to get one near the beginning of the game, regardless of playthrough. Old Jonas, maybe? Arena and Lunatics seems pretty late.

He sells them, I got one there myself, but it's a small %.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Probably a very cold take by this point, but after reaching the Institute again on my sneaker-sniper, I'm struck by how brilliant the build up to Core City is, how Core City is p good, and then how Upper Underrail is tiny and certain questlines just end. Free Drones, Protectorate, Gorsky, Oculus, etc.

I get that the Institute has a bunch of quests in it, but I think I would have preferred polishing off those factions' questlines a little more than wandering off to fight hordes of crabs and locusts.

Candide

Educated
Probably a very cold take by this point, but after reaching the Institute again on my sneaker-sniper, I'm struck by how brilliant the build up to Core City is, how Core City is p good, and then how Upper Underrail is tiny and certain questlines just end. Free Drones, Protectorate, Gorsky, Oculus, etc.

I get that the Institute has a bunch of quests in it, but I think I would have preferred polishing off those factions' questlines a little more than wandering off to fight hordes of crabs and locusts.
Yes what I really like about the expansion is opening up the waterways between the settlements and stations, but I'd prefer the Upper Underrail to be expanded/completed instead of Black Sea.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

I think a lot of people feel the same way about this.

However it looks like there is real resistance from Styg to change anything in the vanilla game except implementing non-discriminatory nerfs and the Dude's quest.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron

I think a lot of people feel the same way about this.

However it looks like there is real resistance from Styg to change anything in the vanilla game except implementing non-discriminatory nerfs and the Dude's quest.
I don't think anything really needs to be changed tbh. Free Drones quest line is fine. Perhaps if they added a side quest or too it could be better, but perhaps not. Protectorate is in the same boat. I do agree that Gorsky and Oculus need some polishing off, but it's really not too bad.

I will also say that I think the expansion is better on the more consecutive play throughs you go through. It's a lot more fun the second time around I feel, though that can also be due to the novelty of my current build.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom