Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

Theldaran

Liturgist
S;G is a lot of things. Yes, it's starred by otaku of all sorts, but Okabe has to stop sheltering in his delusions and do shit to fix things. The story is NOT ridiculous. Or at least, it isn't moreso than Chaos;Head. Of course, you can't build a time machine with a microwave oven, not at all, but it's your typical leap of faith in this kind of story. The implications of distorting the timeline are very nice. The drama is quite enough and it builds up to the grand finale. It's both an epic, dramatic, and funny (with Okabe's, Mayushii's and Daru's antics, mostly) game. One of those stories that tries to cover all aspects of storytelling.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I should clarify that I quite liked S;G as well. My preference for C;C stems from a personal inclination towards darker stories and more uncertain endings. Not interested in spoiling either story -- but I'm sure you can appreciate the difference.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I should clarify that I quite liked S;G as well. My preference for C;C stems from a personal inclination towards darker stories and more uncertain endings. Not interested in spoiling either story -- but I'm sure you can appreciate the difference.

If you like a darker and grittier story (S;G has some disturbing shit with human experimentation and whatnot, but generally it's not as dark), try S;G Zero. More gore, more desperation, it includes even mental unstability.

S;G is a lot of things. Yes, it's starred by otaku of all sorts, but Okabe has to stop sheltering in his delusions and do shit to fix things. The story is NOT ridiculous. Or at least, it isn't moreso than Chaos;Head. Of course, you can't build a time machine with a microwave oven, not at all, but it's your typical leap of faith in this kind of story. The implications of distorting the timeline are very nice. The drama is quite enough and it builds up to the grand finale. It's both an epic, dramatic, and funny (with Okabe's, Mayushii's and Daru's antics, mostly) game. One of those stories that tries to cover all aspects of storytelling.
From the microwave time machine to SERN's aspirations of world domination, none of it is remotely plausible, and most of it was satirical. In this aspect Steins;Gate was very self-aware, as characters (particularly Makise Kurisu) repeatedly pointed out the silliness and often played it for laughs. Without excellent characterization, self-aware presentation, and grounding in an idiosyncratic place that actually exists to sell the fantastic elements, Steins;Gate would have been just another banal, shlocky sci-fi story about time travel. Instead I think Steins;Gate is a masterpiece because it had the balls to seriously (and humorously) examine both the kinds of people who tend to enjoy science fiction as well as the silliness of sci-fi tropes without simply dismissing them outright.

Endemic

Arcane
I've played the original, it's pretty good if a tad complicated when the time travel starts happening.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I've played the original, it's pretty good if a tad complicated when the time travel starts happening.

Are you talking about Steins;Gate? The choices aren't really that hard, but making them through the cell phone is clunky.

I'd agree that triggering the true ending can be hard without a guide, that was purposefully done to cause butthurt, I'm afraid. Or, at least, until someone published it on the net. It's also a pity because the true ending is beautiful, the "promised timeline" where everything is right.

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
YU-NO, actually. The game's literally guide-tier if you want to get the best endings and epilogues.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Visual Novel tech development, Live2D & Dual Text option.

Actually 4 language choices are available (with S. & T. Chinese as the other two) and there's even a bounciness setting. Video recorded at 1/8 bounciness slider setting, preference to obey Newtonian laws as well. :M

Not into ラブラブ/あまあま (love love/sweetheart) eroge genre, but here's the Steam (all ages) version link:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Mages (Steins;Gate etc.) goes independent from Kadokawa: https://gematsu.com/2019/07/mages-goes-independent-from-kadakawa-group-5pb-to-consolidate-into-mages

Mages goes independent from Kadakawa Group, 5pb. to consolidate into Mages
Chiyomaru Studio purchases all Mages shares held by Dwango.

On July 12, Chiyomaru Studio made a management buyout of Mages, purchasing all shares of the company held by parent company Dwango, Mages announced. Chiyomaru Studio is an independent company led by Chiyomaru Shikura, who is also the president of Mages.

Accompanying the management buyout, Mages said it plans to gradually consolidate its business brand 5pb.—which encompasses games, music, and more—into Mages in order to further strengthen its branding.

Through this management buyout, Mages hopes to make speedier and more flexible business decisions under the leadership of Chiyomaru Shikura in a drastically changing entertainment market, all the while taking advantage of the creative know-how and assets it cultivated as a member of Kadokawa Group, in order to work towards creating and offering new value including new businesses.

It should be noted that while Mages will no longer be a subsidiary of Kadokawa Group following the management buyout, it still expects to maintain the same favorable relationship with the Group that it has had thus far.

I wonder if they maintain publishing deals with Spike Chunsoft (which is part of Kadokawa Group).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Saya no Uta (The Song of Saya) remaster is coming next week. It runs on a new engine and they re-scanned original illustrations in higher resolution:https://jastusa.com/2019/the-song-of-saya-releasing-on-steam-gets-major-update

Saya-no-Uta-resize.jpg

You can buy uncensored version on JAST USA website and censored version on Steam:

If you already bought previous 2013 release on JAST USA, free upgrade path will be provided.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Of all the things they could put in Steam they put Asagi huh.

I guess with how much the RPG Maker Doujin H-games in Steam now it is not something special anymore.

Nahel

Arcane
I would not advise Dangaropa. Really hated the retarded mini games which dont fit the ambiance

Andronovo

Learned
G Senjou No Maou. About 80 hours and few choices, but holy fuck is it good. I'm a little confused why it hasn't been adapted into an anime yet. High school kid is son a yakuza boss, gets ordered by his dad to track down big bad named Maou, also meets detective girl tracking down Maou. Keep in mind it's a ladder plot, honestly you should skip all the girls except the final one because they are little mediocre. Voice acting is top notch.

Watch out for spoilers if you look it up. Seriously be careful.

Nahel

Arcane
G Senjou No Maou. About 80 hours and few choices, but holy fuck is it good. I'm a little confused why it hasn't been adapted into an anime yet. High school kid is son a yakuza boss, gets ordered by his dad to track down big bad named Maou, also meets detective girl tracking down Maou. Keep in mind it's a ladder plot, honestly you should skip all the girls except the final one because they are little mediocre. Voice acting is top notch.

Watch out for spoilers if you look it up. Seriously be careful.

I liked the sportive girl route, don't know why. She has a hot side, despite her bratty and cheerful airhead personnality. But the true route is definitely a masterpiece

Andronovo

Learned
I liked the sportive girl route, don't know why. She has a hot side, despite her bratty and cheerful airhead personnality. But the true route is definitely a masterpiece

I accidently took that route, it doesn't give you a clear choice on that one. Which would be fine by me, were it not to the exclusion of one true girl.

_Vic_

Educated
They are somewhat old, but with G Senjou No Maou, Grisaia no kajutsu and the natsuverse novels those trilogy of sorts are in my toplist: Never 7: The End of Infinity, Remember 11: The Age of Infinity Ever 17: The Out of Infinity

I can´t say I like most of the steam VN, to be honest. I do not meant that modern VN are bad, there are solid ones in japan: Maitetsu, Kono Oozora ni, Tsubasa wo Hirogete, koiken otome etc.
But most of the ones that made it to steam are not very good.

Nahel

Arcane
I don't know why but I never clicked with Ever 17. The tsundere heroine was ok but the route with the boy are so boring I just gave up. On Steam Grisaia and Evenicle are not bad

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom