Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legends of Amberland - oldschool open world blobber

AdolfSatan

Arcane
What is the combat like in this game, very simple?
Most of the time, yes. You might need to make some minor adjustments and take a second to plan your attack when facing a tougher foe, but that's it.
The game's strength lies —as the poster above said— in its exploration. This particular aspect he absolutely nailed.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the pacing is fantastic. Not a single dull moment.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
At some point I learned the secret to entering the Enchanted Forest, but I'm not sure when. It might have been when I was in the Great Library, or a wizard tower with lots of books. I noticed that books give free XP, so I just activated them all as fast as I could and missed what they said.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
LordArchibald
Stormfrost major Bjorn says: NPC NOT IMPLEMENTED YET.

Also, slayed the red dragon but the knight keeps talking about not being able to leave until it's dead.
Yeah, I forgot abou those mayors :) Just released v1.11 with thier texts finished.
As for the knight, yeah... I will add it later. Thanks!

I'm sure buying this, I love you developer, you obviously couldn't make the best game in the world, but you did the best with what you had to make a game that's a love letter to lovers of those whimsical, exploration-heavy blobbers of the past. And you will learn from the weaknesses of this game to make another one that is better.
:D Yeah, that's basically how it is when you are an indie developer, you nailed it. And I'm *definitely* making Legends of Amberland II, even if that's not financiably viable (fortunatelly, once I have the base game done, with all the code and so on, a sequel should go much faster) :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the pacing is fantastic. Not a single dull moment.
LOL, during the development I have been obsessing over the pace and balance, it was one of my biggest worries. Glad it turned out well.

At some point I learned the secret to entering the Enchanted Forest, but I'm not sure when. It might have been when I was in the Great Library, or a wizard tower with lots of books. I noticed that books give free XP, so I just activated them all as fast as I could and missed what they said.
Discovering secrets from books also plays a sound and shows a distinctive green background text. It should have been noticeable...
But yeah, there are tons of books in the library...

Dorateen

Arcane
The August of Amberland continues. Yesterday, I ran into the first enemy who could cause paralysis. An unpleasant condition that was only remedied by returning to town and having the character cleansed. Fortunately by the end of the session, our party had advanced enough for the Healer to learn Cure Paralysis. Our wizard also gained the spell Lightning.

Guess who's coming to dinner, Elite Ogre Warriors!

Repressed Homosexual
I like that early on you run into enemies that are very difficult and have to figure out where else to go and how to proceed, much more so than in M&M.

Yeah to be honest M&M games had more features, but it's actually a sound choice to start by making a simpler system, but one that will be manageable and that can then perhaps be expanded upon from there. Still you were able to implement a few decent features of your own. I like the way weight is implemented for instance.

You nailed it and I knew I would enjoy it, to me it's almost like the first real RPG in a very long time.

Charles-cgr you simply must try this one

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.silverlemurgames.com/2019/08/08/legends-of-amberland-version-1-11/

Legends of Amberland version 1.11

Version 1.11 released

A small post release update.

– [misc] Finished 3 missing texts for town mayors. I forgot those for v1.00 release.
– [misc] Linguistic check: items (partial).

– [interface] Added current MP on Magic screen.

LoA_screenshot_v1.11.0-300x169.png

Repressed Homosexual
Another suggestion: a feature to see your selected party member's equipment when in a shop, and how specific items would affect him, before you purchase them.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Even more important: cast until full health outside of combat, so I don't have click 50 times on the same spell to heal my tank.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It would be nice if the Fight option (use last move) only counted spells cast in combat. I like to pre-buff with Haste and Amplify Resistances, but there's no reason to cast them again when I'm in a fight, and I'd rather it remember that I used Lightning last combat.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It would be nice if the Fight option (use last move) only counted spells cast in combat. I like to pre-buff with Haste and Amplify Resistances, but there's no reason to cast them again when I'm in a fight, and I'd rather it remember that I used Lightning last combat.

Well, actually, Might & Magic fast spell option is even better, you pick the fast spell you want for fast combat and open the spellbook for the rest.

As a game made nowadays, i can't help but think having 3 fast spell slots (not the last used but the one you want) is mandatory, doesn't need 3 buttons, just 3+ spells shortcuts.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Just finished the game. Took 17 hours on Hard. I wasn't able to find the third exotic food, and I only found one of the red orbs for the guy at Sand Castle, but otherwise I think I completed all the side quests. Definitely a fun game, but not perfect. I would've liked some debuffs to cast, like sleep or silence. I had a wizard and sage who did nothing but nuke people in fights. The healer felt absolutely essential to the party, unless there's another way to resurrect people without spending money. The final dungeon and boss were lacklustre.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game is p fun. Regretting my decision to take a bard over another offensive spellcaster, my damage output feels poor. Two suggestions:
1. Let me use the number keys to select who to target with single-target buff/heal spells.
2. Invest in a zesty level-up jingle. This, I feel, is crucial for elevating the game to true greatness.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Finished it as well, only thing missing was killing the Black Dragon, but will probably go back further on to try again.
My general impressions are quite the same as everyone else: loved the world, exploration, pacing, but would have liked more depth in combat and some puzzle-solving/traps/world mechanics.
Main quest is great, and all the side-quests where fun to do. Game definitely nails the open world aspect as well. Closer was indeed anti-climatic, I expected a huge dungeon with a super strong boss. It was a satisfying as an ending, nonetheless.

To wrap it up: the game has some weak aspects, but my overall experience has been hugely positive and I encourage every fan of blobbers to try this out. There's lots of fun to be had, and am already looking forward to LoA2.

No idea how long it took me to beat it because steam says I've only played it for 2 hours.

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
Just copy MM3-5 for the next game (and also over-arching plot with main villain hunt for over 3 games AND the possibility of a larger combined game if Amberland 1-3 are installed at the same time, like Worlds of Xeen), bro developer.

You dont have to thank me or pay me for this crucial hint of total success, just add me into the game

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Well, actually, Might & Magic fast spell option is even better, you pick the fast spell you want for fast combat and open the spellbook for the rest.

As a game made nowadays, i can't help but think having 3 fast spell slots (not the last used but the one you want) is mandatory, doesn't need 3 buttons, just 3+ spells shortcuts.
Anyone, please post about it more. I would like to improve spells management and I'm thinking how.

2. Invest in a zesty level-up jingle. This, I feel, is crucial for elevating the game to true greatness.
What does "zesty level-up jingle" mean? :D

Using abilities outside of combat (discussion):
https://steamcommunity.com/app/873890/discussions/0/1643170903501535150/

Balance - post v1.00 (discussion):
https://steamcommunity.com/app/873890/discussions/0/1643170903501388649/

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What does "zesty level-up jingle" mean? :D
I mean a noise that plays when you level up one of your characters. It should be appropriately zesty:
Merriam Webster said:
zesty
adjective
\ ˈze-stē \
zestier; zestiest
Definition of zesty

: having or characterized by zest : appealingly piquant or lively

That's not to say that you have to settle for just zesty, of course. It could be any combination of joyous, rollicking, scintillating, exuberant, sprightly, frolicsome, et cetera -- the possibilities are endless. Hope this helps.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Anyone, please post about it more. I would like to improve spells management and I'm thinking how.

To be fair, even if M&M system is slightly better, the lack of shortcuts is still an issue but they were made 20-30 years ago.

I don't think adding some buttons would fit into your UI so shortcuts is pretty much the only way to go, if it's doable, it'd add a lot and the last spell thing isn't very good as a couple of other people pointed out earlier in the thread.

CTRL or SHIFT + 'key' support to add spell shortcuts if there isn't enough keys available could be the answer.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
By the way, your game is good, blobbers fans should buy it.

A couple of things that could be improved, in my eyes :
  • Add rolls during character creation (i can't help it, i like dice rolls and a simple M&M3-5 / Dark Sun roll system would be great for the sequel)
  • Save Characters or allow to import some from saves (very handy when you want to restart just to replace a couple of them)
  • Insane difficulty is quite annoying before you get the bard / troubadour song to save character from death because monsters OS your tanks all the time.
  • Power fist has a slightly too high RNG or MP cost .
  • Most spells cost too much MP or maybe the game just need a MP regen system
  • Buffs reduced cost makes no sense because as your characters grow, it doesn't matter and you're only casting them once a day, they should have an improved duration (like 2/3 days at level 5 so +6/+12 hours per level )
  • Mapping should be rewarded, in M&M3-5 you find weapons caches everywhere, so you could either reward it with loot/gold or XP or just add the exploration radius (moving clear the fog of the 8 other tiles around, 1 square radius or even further, 2 square radius) to make it interesting or less painful for completists and compulsive fog cleaners
  • Add some secrets (rooms/dungeons)
  • Boat travel (you can't see shit in front of the boat)

On the plus side :
  • Griffin travel is just great to ease the backtracking
  • I like the full HP / MP "house" regen before the desert (which i haven't explored)
  • Spells level is a very good addition too

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
So far, I'm enjoying the foundation of the magic system, with the interplay between attributes like Willpower and Knowledge. How you can invest in in WP to build a bigger pool of magic points, or focus on Knowledge, which adds to the secondary Arcane stat to make spells more effective and cost less. It's also well thought out enough to make these attributes useful even for non-magic classes. Getting those points on level ups when you can freely distribute them has led to some careful decisions for every character.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
I always like the ability to annotate my map
As a player I always wondered "why they make this 'add notes on the map' feature, who uses those!?", now I know the answer :D

It's a new thing to me (I don't "feel it" as a player). So, I would need some directions (why you need it, what it should contain, what's the most important purpose of those annotations, what kind of annotations you need, etc).

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I always like the ability to annotate my map
As a player I always wondered "why they make this 'add notes on the map' feature, who uses those!?", now I know the answer :D

It's a new thing to me (I don't "feel it" as a player). So, I would need some directions (why you need it, what it should contain, what's the most important purpose of those annotations, what kind of annotations you need, etc).

Well, mainly to remember whether a location is finished or there's still something left to do, often the notes just give me a clue what is still unfinished at a location (like a door that can't be opened yet)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom