Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Parabalus

Arcane
It's better coz you know exactly where the cancer is and how to skip it.

Black Angel

Arcane
You don't need persuasion, just tested it. Talk to razor about joining, then wait for the kidnapping, simply come on the aegis jet ski to negotiate and you get in.

Nothing locks you out of Acorn.
I meant joining when you're in the Office with the Captain and his two Lieutenants. The check is 110 btw.

But there's no difference - You go to his office, then straight to the professor torture scene, it looked a bit bugged tbh.
If you said you want to negotiate to Razor, and then only made clear your intention to Captain Grim, there's a mandatory Persuasion check, where the other option is basically, "I'm just kidding, tee hee." Which probably would turn them hostile or they'll shrug it off and lock you out of your one last chance to join. And yeah, as ItsChon pointed out, the check is 110-ish (I had a bit more than that when I reloaded a save and tried finding ways to join the pirates).

Parabalus

Arcane
You don't need persuasion, just tested it. Talk to razor about joining, then wait for the kidnapping, simply come on the aegis jet ski to negotiate and you get in.

I meant joining when you're in the Office with the Captain and his two Lieutenants. The check is 110 btw.

But there's no difference - You go to his office, then straight to the professor torture scene, it looked a bit bugged tbh.
If you said you want to negotiate to Razor, and then only made clear your intention to Captain Grim, there's a mandatory Persuasion check, where the other option is basically, "I'm just kidding, tee hee." Which probably would turn them hostile or they'll shrug it off and lock you out of your one last chance to join. And yeah, as ItsChon pointed out, the check is 110-ish (I had a bit more than that when I reloaded a save and tried finding ways to join the pirates).

I understand, but I'm saying that mechanically, there's no difference between going to "negotiate", passing the check and joining and telling razor you brought the jet ski.

I expected the jet ski option would be locked out at that point, but it wasn't.

Black Angel

Arcane

I understand, but I'm saying that mechanically, there's no difference between going to "negotiate", passing the check and joining and telling razor you brought the jet ski.

I get you, but I'd say the difference is getting a jet ski for Razor is 'harder' and can only be done by combat-oriented characters, while persuading Captain Grim means a talky character can skip straight to interrogating the Professor.

Also, I'm wondering if you steal an Aegis Patroller, would you be able to retrieve your own jet ski, or would the pirates retrieve it for you? Or would the Aegis Patroller you stole would be deemed yours to do as you see fit?

Parabalus

Arcane

I get you, but I'd say the difference is getting a jet ski for Razor is 'harder' and can only be done by combat-oriented characters, while persuading Captain Grim means a talky character can skip straight to interrogating the Professor.

Also, I'm wondering if you steal an Aegis Patroller, would you be able to retrieve your own jet ski, or would the pirates retrieve it for you? Or would the Aegis Patroller you stole would be deemed yours to do as you see fit?

Every character is combat-oriented, this is underrail. I think hotwiring also doesn't unstealth, so that's an option too.
Looks like everyone has options, I was worried I'd be locked out of the pirates if I waited too long, since my char has 0 Pers.

I left my jet ski on the shore where the natives land to attack the camp, retrieved it myself. Patroller seems to be yours.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Every character is combat-oriented, this is underrail. I think hotwiring also doesn't unstealth, so that's an option too.
Looks like everyone has options, I was worried I'd be locked out of the pirates if I waited too long, since my char has 0 Pers.
When I say combat-oriented, I mean that you play a character with zero talking and/or subterfuge. Underrail is definitely a combat-centric game, and I admit as much in the past. While I might be contradicting myself here, you can always use talking to avoid certain combat encounters (and even avoid conflicts in general), while with subterfuge you could pretty much avoid many combat encounters and get stuff you want without turning anyone hostile or cause enemies to initiate combat at all (even though stealth approach are also mostly centered around helping you winning combat encounters. Hell, maybe even go as far as having zero Mercantile and/or crafting. Something like this: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?Hgc...AArJC8xAVAZVSw5O8KDFhVBwqTCtMKj4qOmBeK1rgrfvw just for the hell of it.

But yeah, I kind of forgot that stealth is also an option to steal an Aegis Patroller. Hotwiring definitely doesn't unstealth. However, I can't imagine how one would be able to 'cleanly' steal a Patroller without turning the camp hostile. This might be a dumb question because you would be turning them hostile sooner or later anyway, but I personally managed to steal a pirate's scrap jet 'cleanly' without having any of them turning hostile at all. The one I stole is in the Pirate's Outskirts that's right next to LEMCO, though this one in particular is very easy to steal because the one who's supposed to be watching the waters would occasionally go inside their camp/hut.

I left my jet ski on the shore where the natives land to attack the camp, retrieved it myself. Patroller seems to be yours.
How did you steal a Patroller, then? Took one from the camp?
Every character is combat-oriented, this is underrail
Obviously you don't know about crossbow builds.
:negative:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
As much as I like to help people out, I draw the line at enabling someone who can't be bothered to read the simplest instructions.

Of course, and this has nothing to do with your perma-butthurt from previous discussions we had. You know, the ones where I showed that you are a liar.

No, it really just has to do with you skipping over dialogue that clearly explains what to do in the game we're discussing here, and not with your delusions of being a shrewd Bitcoin tycoon and accompanying obnoxious rants.

For example, Parabalus and I disagree politically—which, sad to say, is probably why he sucked your post's cock with that positive rating (agenda-based Brofisting will never die)—yet I've had zero issues discussing Underrail with him.

This has nothing to do with politics or Bitcoin or my skipping over dialogue in a game I wasn't even sure I would continue.

It has everything to do with you being a lying piece of shit and the butthurt that someone exposed your constant lying.

hilfazer

Scholar
But yeah, I kind of forgot that stealth is also an option to steal an Aegis Patroller. Hotwiring definitely doesn't unstealth. However, I can't imagine how one would be able to 'cleanly' steal a Patroller without turning the camp hostile. This might be a dumb question because you would be turning them hostile sooner or later anyway

Where there is will there is a way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Dbm8p4zQ8

Black Angel

Arcane
But yeah, I kind of forgot that stealth is also an option to steal an Aegis Patroller. Hotwiring definitely doesn't unstealth. However, I can't imagine how one would be able to 'cleanly' steal a Patroller without turning the camp hostile. This might be a dumb question because you would be turning them hostile sooner or later anyway

Where there is will there is a way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Dbm8p4zQ8
Damn, smoother than a baby's butt :salute: I completely forgot using TNT to draw everyone's attention is a viable solution, I've done it myself when freeing those mutants in the Institute :oops:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Probably a very cold take by this point, but after reaching the Institute again on my sneaker-sniper, I'm struck by how brilliant the build up to Core City is, how Core City is p good, and then how Upper Underrail is tiny and certain questlines just end. Free Drones, Protectorate, Gorsky, Oculus, etc.

I get that the Institute has a bunch of quests in it, but I think I would have preferred polishing off those factions' questlines a little more than wandering off to fight hordes of crabs and locusts.

Wow dude, I can't believe how you've minimized the content of Expedition with this trash talk! There are snakes too, ya know.

Speaking of Expedition creatures, I've got locust-killing down to a science. I wear the Sec-Trooper helmet, biohazard boots, and bio-resistant tungsten metal armor so that I take zero damage from everything (crits will cause the faintest of tickles). Groups of locusts and individual heartbreakers receive Frag Mk IVs, whereas I punch lone locusts to death (Expertise is a very handy feat to have when I don't want to waste spear condition/charges). After they're all dead, I also punch the hives to death. Combat and movement speed ~500%, natch. In real time, punches can be spammed hilariously fast; I'd occasionally destroy security cameras that way pre-Expedition.

So basically, by discarding almost all of my normal build and typical choice of equipment save for grenades—since none of it works with this dubious encounter design—I can effortlessly succeed in the most boneheaded way possible, while expending nothing more than a few repair kits and a bandage or two here and there.

I've been wondering how Styg could have designed this better, and I think that groups of locusts that move and fight as one entity might have been the answer. Herding the player through a maze of fences and railings with no cover to ensure that a dozen or more individual ranged attackers can take an excruciatingly long time shooting the player every single turn... it's just indefensible, really. I've tried to think of how it can be defended as good design, but the only plus is that you can't really abuse corners as you can with many other combats.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I've been wondering how Styg could have designed this better, and I think that groups of locusts that move and fight as one entity might have been the answer.
swarms.jpg

yeah, something like this could've been better, maybe change the sprite density as you deal more damage.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
How do you switch mouse buttons? I have RSI, so I cannot use my right hand for the mouse for more than about an hour. I can globally switch mouse buttons in Windows, but that doesn't work.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
How do you switch mouse buttons? I have RSI, so I cannot use my right hand for the mouse for more than about an hour. I can globally switch mouse buttons in Windows, but that doesn't work.

If you don't have a mouse with programmable driver software (such as Logitech Gaming Software for Logitech mice), maybe try AutoHotKey.

SymbolicFrank

Magister

If you don't have a mouse with programmable driver software (such as Logitech Gaming Software for Logitech mice), maybe try AutoHotKey.
Thanks, that does work. I thought switching them in the driver was the same as in Windows.

Parabalus

Arcane
What do you even get for the Pirates raid missions? Just finished all 3 and seemingly got nothing.

I can also confirm that the captain's cutlass bonus to Riposte doesn't fall off when unequipped, e.g. you can end your turn with it, get 3 stacks, then use them with a non-garbage weapon.
Feat's still pretty bad though, should prob have 2-3 stacks by default.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
What do you even get for the Pirates raid missions? Just finished all 3 and seemingly got nothing.

Sounds like Scrappers and pirates both need a buff.

From a strictly practical perspective, if it weren't for the fact that the Aegis Expedition boasts two of the best merchants in the game in terms of easy charon extrication, I'd probably napalm the entire camp, exterminate the pirates, then go civilize all the natives too for good measure. The muties and the ferryman are all right.

Still, the story is interesting enough... and I don't yet know what benefits completing the expedition will offer.

The most significant thing I've noticed in Expedition is that the environments (tables, chairs, boxes, consoles, clutter, environmental objects in general) are much more dense and visually busy than the vanilla game. Neither the simplicity of vanilla nor the visual busy-ness of Expedition are necessarily bad, but I feel that the two should be brought more in line with each other: a bit more visual clutter added to vanilla (especially objects that can be picked up directly or examined with the eye icon), a bit removed from Expedition.

ciox

Liturgist

I can also confirm that the captain's cutlass bonus to Riposte doesn't fall off when unequipped, e.g. you can end your turn with it, get 3 stacks, then use them with a non-garbage weapon.

I think you just missed the characteristically well-hidden option of asking for your payment at the trader, Donnie in this case.
You don't get a lot of charons for it though, the main reward seems to be the guy's expanded inventory, by the end of it he's willing to trade 2k charons and has probably the biggest inventory of any trader in the game.

Parabalus

Arcane

I think you just missed the characteristically well-hidden option of asking for your payment at the trader, Donnie in this case.
You don't get a lot of charons for it though, the main reward seems to be the guy's expanded inventory, by the end of it he's willing to trade 2k charons and has probably the biggest inventory of any trader in the game.

I did see that, but Grim giving you absolutely nothing still makes no sense.

ciox

Liturgist

Now that I think about it, it did feel a bit meh.

Maybe the captain is still holding out until you complete the final quest of the black sea, probably something to do with those black crystals.

Parabalus

Arcane

Now that I think about it, it did feel a bit meh.

Maybe the captain is still holding out until you complete the final quest of the black sea, probably something to do with those black crystals.

I doubt it, if the prof. didn't react I don't think Grim will.

im still stuck in restart loop so cant engage expedition properly. From what im reading in here Its easy to lock myself out of the content in there.
Can someone list stuff not to do? I saw complains about factions turning hostile due to extended exploration and stuff like that.
Ultimately If like to join pirates so taht i ca scream yarrr! so Would like to know what to do/not do

You can't lock yourself out of anything outside of the 2 main factions, only 1 can be joined (rest are hostile). But Aegis (initial one) has no content after a while, pirates are a bit better. You get to join the pirates during the Aegis questline (as it ends), or by going to F4. Just do Aegis, then join pirates later, that way you get everything.

Dont want to join ze Pirated but i i wan trade with them. That possible?

No.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom