Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Desperados III from Mimimi Productions (Shadow Tactics devs) - now with Money for the Vultures DLC

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Think I might sign up for the hell of it, although my PC doesn't meet minimum specs which might knock down my chances a peg.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

https://thqnordic.com/article/shes-...s-iii-unveils-new-character-isabelle-moreau-0

She's gonna do bad things ... Desperados III unveils new character Isabelle Moreau
August 16, 2019

Vienna, Austria/ Munich, Germany, August 16th, 2019: You've met the bounty hunter Doc McCoy, you've been introduced to the bigmouth trapper Hector and of course you remember John Cooper, the knife throwing icon of the Desperados franchise. And if somebody forgot about Miss Kate O'Hara, she´ll sure find a way to remind them. But now Mimimi Games and THQ Nordic are unveiling the last member of the Desperados III gang... meet Isabelle Moreau.

Watch the trailer: https://youtu.be/nGJI-HEoCTc

Born and raised in New Orleans, Isabelle has mastered the occult techniques of Voodoo. She is able to slip into the mind of her enemies and control their actions. Also she can establish a dark bond between two foes, that let them share the same fate - so if one throat gets sliced, the other one will also bleed out. But these powers come with a price for Isabelle, a blood sacrifice she has to offer whenever she decides to use her powers. She cannot use just any blood for this, as it has to be her very own.

Desperados III will let you feel the power of voodoo on your PC, your PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system or your Xbox® One in 2019.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
lol
So they're going supernatural route, total decline. I wouldn't mind if it was fantasy setting but this is just too much. I'm liking this game less and less with each update.

Lemming42

Arcane
Supernatural shit aside, I hope that if that cat on her shoulder is a gameplay mechanic, it's better than that monkey bastard the little girl had in Desperados 1. That thing was utterly useless.

The game looks exactly like Shadow Tactics, I don't know if that's a good thing.

catfood

AGAIN
Well, a supernatural themed wild west game in the vein of the Deadlands P&P RPG could be potentially good. But I agree that this now makes me feel skeptical about the whole deal.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I like they went that route. So much interesting to do with gameplay and planning.
I disagree, IMO it shows that they don't have a clear idea of what they want to do and are just making shit up as they go. If they wanted to go Voodoo route or some other hocus pocus route they should have chosen a different setting, simple as that. They chose Desperados because supposedly they are fans of that game and they agree that it's the best game of the genre. Why then change as much as they can (and for the worse) instead of giving Desperados 2.0? Clearly they can't come up with interesting fresh ideas so they should stick with what worked in the original game. But no, they have to show their "ingenuity" and change things that worked. I've mentioned some of their stupid decisions here and despite their initial assurances that they will look into it and try to improve it they've ignored the criticism (i.e. it was just PR talk, they were in a much too advanced state to change it). This Moreau character is just a part of a bigger problem and it shows.

Edit:
Also, what I've said here is just too true: https://steamcommunity.com/app/418240/discussions/0/142260895144911580/#c142260895145019767

IMO there are too many fantasy games. And IMO fantasy game doesn't fit a game with such realistic principles (i.e. people have view range, certain speed, they can't kill everyone with a single spell and need to sneak upon their enemies, etc. etc.). But I guess it could work with proper setting and if that setting was low-fantasy. Post-apocalyptic setting could be interesting or steam-punk (Arcanum without magic). But my favourite is wild west and it can provide many awesome opportunities. Then again if you're so fascinated with Japan maybe you should stick with it BUT sequels usually don't do as well as the first game (for indie/small developers, it was the case with Blackguards, it was the case with Legend of Grimrock, it was like that with Banner Saga, etc.)

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cool! Some interesting gameplay angles there. Will likely add some complex decision making to coordinated attacks with the team. Using hit points as a resource is a nice idea, too; it'll make the doctor's healing ability actually useful.

I hope that cat is better than that monkey the little girl had in Desperados 1. That thing was utterly useless.
You're out of your mind.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Voodoo?

tQSvpmO.jpg

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let's none of us pretend that Desperados was some kind of gritty ultra realistic game. Anyone who thought they were going to 1:1 nail the snake in a sack, magically inflating pig's bladder knockout gas balloon vector, peanut monkey dancing setting of the original was being more fabulously optimistic than usual.

Silva

Arcane
Never played any Desperados but coming from Shadow Tactics, they managed to pull out some great team specialization without resorting to fantasy mambo-jambo so I'm disappointed already with this game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some sort of Native American shaman character would be more on theme I guess, but they probably wanted another female.

Still no news on the release date?

Gamescom is in a few days, perhaps you won't have to wait long.

DemonKing

Arcane
Not worried about the Voodoo aspect here - better to have a visually distinct character with different powers to other team members than another cowboy in a Stetson IMO.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Desperados 3 is easily one of the best games we’ve seen at Gamescom 2019, introducing Isabelle Moreau and her mind control darts and pet cat. She’s like Dishonored 2’s Emily meets, well, cat lady, and can do some awesome tricks. As you’ll see in this exclusive Desperados 3 gameplay. Enjoy! Thanks to Logitech G and the G432 7.1 Surround Sound gaming headset for sponsoring this video. Check out the tech behind the G432 over on the Logitech G site: http://bit.ly/2FkTkbi

In this Desperados III gameplay you’ll see Isabelle Moreau attempt to save the rest of the gang using a cat distract guards, mind control darts and the ability to connect any two living things together to share the same fate - aka Dishonored 2’s Domino ability. As you’ll see in the Desperados 3 demo, she’s basically unstoppable, and you’ll see the many different ways the skills can be combined to wipe out bandits in the old west. Also in these Desperados impressions you’ll see the new Showdown mode, which lets you freeze the action and plan a simultaneous attack between multiple heroes. It’s very tasty.

Desperados III comes from the creators of the outstanding real-time tactics game Shadow Tactics, so you’ll recognise several of the ideas and interface tricks from that. If you want a more basic understanding of the game why not check out our coverage from last year’s Gamescom when we talked you through the 8 Desperados 3 features’s you’ll love. That video is here: https://youtu.be/4cffoyoCe70. Desperados 3 release date is 2019, so we don’t have too long to wait. We’ll have more Desperados 3 previews on the channel before then, so why not subscribe to Rock Paper Shotgun for that kind of fun - of course, you won’t want to miss the inevitable Desperados 3 review when that finally surfaces.

If, after watching our coverage of Desperados 3 Gamescom 2019 demo, you still have questions, left us know in the comments and we’ll do our best to answer them. Matthew talked to the team for a while so has loads more info he can share. Ask away! And please watch our other Gamescom 2019 videos while you’re here, like our preview of Blair Witch (https://youtu.be/4npF2zUlliQ) or our look at Ghostrunner (https://youtu.be/zeNk3VZ-D0I) - a fantastic slice of cyberpunk fun. Thanks for watching.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Yeah, I'm also not sold on the voodoo. Didn't even have to be real magic, just some herbs and poison stuff (she could have got Doc's Healer-stuff), maybe they will tone it down a bit. My question is: will the enemies be able to do something similiar? Eh, I think, I will save this game as a reboot, the tone of the writing is already different then, the one the first game (and compared to Desperados 2 I like it more. 2 was a catastrophe).

But the rest of the game looks good so far. If it stays that way, I can ignore the voodoo-stuff.

Zombra

Patron
Yeah, I'm also not sold on the voodoo. My question is: will the enemies be able to do something similiar?
Interesting question. Why do you care? The enemies in Desperados couldn't do anything the PCs could do except see, walk and shoot guns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom