Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

VietDoom - Vietnam War Doom mod from Brutal Doom creator

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.moddb.com/mods/vietdoom

https://www.moddb.com/mods/vietdoom/news/faq42

When will it be released?
A demo campaign with around 10 maps may be released this year.

What is it about?
I always wanted to make a Vietnam war mod since I played NAM by the first time a few decades ago. The game itself is absolutely awful even for it`s time, but there is just something very cool about playing a classic fps in a pixelated jungle. Recently, after playing many hours of Rising Storm Vietnam, my interest on making such mod was resurrected.

Vietdoom_Screenshot_1.png

How it plays?
Pretty much like Brutal Doom in Vietnam, but a bit more classical in some parts and more realistic at others, because there is no aiming down the sights. You can switch weapons to semi-auto mode, if you fire full-auto, they have recoil and you need pull the mouse down to compensate it. Each gun has its recoil, firing a M16 on full auto is obviously much easier than firing a M14. You may need to spend some time on the boot camp to master all the weapons.

Like in Brutal Doom, all enemies fires actual projectiles instead of instant hitscans, so you can dodge them if you are far enough. It works on a loadout system. You choose a loadout before starting the game, with a main weapon with maximum ammo and a sidearm, but you can still pick and carry all weapons of the game during the playthrough.

Medikits works pretty much like the PS2 Medal of Honor games, you can carry up to 4 medikits with you, and you can use them at any time to heal 40 health points. In case you are wondering, no, this doesn't plays like a "Call of Duty on Doom" at all. You need to be constantly running around so you don't get hit, taking cover only works temporally.

Just like Brutal Doom, levels are basically a playground which you can have many ways to kill the enemies with many different weapons. There are even ways to be stealthy if you are into that.

Vietdoom_Screenshot_2.png

What`s the setting?
It takes place during late war, 1968 and onwards. All the cool toys are accessible, the North has a lot of tanks and heavy ordinance, and there are huge battles happening everywhere.
The first campaign is some kind of test campaign, made to balance combat and test assets. They are loosely inspired on NAM`s maps, taking place in no particularly realistic locations, with random missions such as searching and destroying supplies, ambushing convoys, and rescuing missing pilots and POWs. This one won`t take long to come out.

The actual campaign (this one may take some years) will have a supernatural twist (because this is Doom, and anything related to Doom needs to have some demons) and is pretty much an adventure re-imagining Apocalypse Now`s story (if you ever played or heard of Heart of Evil (Moddb.com), you may have an idea of what I am talking about).
Yes, ridiculous plot, but not as ridiculous as NAM`s idea of making a super mutant american soldier that changes history and wins the war single-handedly. It`s no spoiler that the US loses the war.

Vietdoom_Screenshot_3.png

What`s the equipment available?
I want every gun to feel unique and useful, with it`s own pros and cons, I am not adding weapons just for the sake of variety. To balance things out, weapons of the same caliber shares the same ammo. Like if you favor the M16 as your main rifle, you should use the M60 as your main machinegun because they use different ammo, if you use the Stoner, it will quickly deplete your 5.56mm ammunition. If you prefer the M14, then use the Stoner as your MG.

You can carry as many weapons as you want, but its recommended to drop the ones you don`t use to not make your inventory too messy and convoluted.

This is a list of weapons planned on the beta release:

Rifles:
M16A1, M14, XM21 (Sniper version of M14), AK47.

Machineguns:
M-60, Stoner 63.

Sub-Machineguns:
M3A1, PPSH-41.

Shotguns:
Ithaca 37, Dragonsbreath shells.

Launchers:
RPG-7, M72 LAW, M202 FLASH, M79 Thumper.

Others:
Kabar Knife, M1911 pistol, M2 Flamethrower.

Driveable Vehicles:
M48 Patton, M50 Ontos, T-54.

Weapons planned later:
Colt Commando, Scoped Mosin Nagant, China Lake Grenade Launcher.
During the war, the Viet-Cong used lots of old french weapons captured from the Indochina War, and Nazi weapons donated by the Soviets, such as the Mp-40, and the STG-44. These may be considered, but they just feel quite redundant and a waste of work to be honest.

Vietdoom_Screenshot_4.png

What sourceport this is for?
Both Zandronum and GZDoom. But Zandronum is recommended. The loadout system is strongly oriented for Co-Op.

Will there be a campaign to play as the Vietcong?
Still too early to talk about this kind of stuff, since I am not even done with the TEST campaign. But maybe someday, yes. It would be interesting to have a campaign where you play as a Vietcong after the United States have left the war and now you march into Saigon to crush the South Vietnamese forces.

Am I going to need a supercomputer to play this?
No. Everything seems extremely well optimized so far. As you can see in the screenshots, I am getting 200 to 400 fps on my GTX 750ti. I am using mapping techniques to deceive the viewer to make the jungle seem pretty dense without actually using a lot of resources.

Vietdoom_Screenshot_5.png

If you have more questions, post them, and I will answer and add them to this list whenever I have the time!

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Turn Doom into a hitscan cover shooter likely with bland, linear level design, few enemy types and weapons we've all shot 100 times over in games. Add in annoying music for the icing on the cake. Sounds like a good idea.
The fucking Doom demons better invade the Jungles of 'Nam and fuck up the landscape by level 3 at most for this to actually be good.

Sure it looks better than NAM (game) but that isn't saying much.

Luzur

Good Sir

https://www.moddb.com/mods/vietdoom/news/first-development-diary

First development diary
Some of the features that will be on this mod being documented and showcased on videos.

On these dev diaries you can see:

- Destroyable environments. How you can raze an entire village to the ground, destroyable houses, furniture, trees, watchtowers, sandbags, and more.
- The arsenal is showcased.
- How machinegun bipods can be deployed.
- Bandaging wounds.
- How fires can be started by setting a tree on fire, and how it will spread to nearby vegetation and plants (fire expansion range is purposely increased to showcase the video, actually a fire that can consume the entire forest is quite unlikely in the super humid conditions of Vietnam)

Last edited by a moderator:

orcinator

Liturgist

Beastro

Arcane
I'm surprised they tried to be serious with it and not turn it into more of a joke like the music implies with Doomesque VC monsters to kill.

I'm mean, even a zombie would be better this. :(

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm surprised they tried to be serious with it and not turn it into more of a joke like the music implies with Doomesque VC monsters to kill.

I'm mean, even a zombie would be better this. :(

Monsters may not be entirely absent. Read the FAQ in the OP.

Egosphere

Arcane
14 seconds in and he's hunkering down behind cover to reload ffs. True doom experience right there. Can't get enough of that shit.

Doesn't look like anything interesting so far. I did enjoy his Brutal Doom campaign, "Hell On Earth Starter Pack", which I played through a week ago. Except for couple more confusing levels where I actually lost patience and looked up youtube for solution on how to progress, the rest of it was highly enjoyable stuff. And map 28 was disturbing as fuck with those tortured captured marines, took me by surprise. He's supposed to update that campaign into a more polished version called "Extermination Day" so I'd prefer if he spent his time on that.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Doesn't look like anything interesting so far. I did enjoy his Brutal Doom campaign, "Hell On Earth Starter Pack", which I played through a week ago. Except for couple more confusing levels where I actually lost patience and looked up youtube for solution on how to progress, the rest of it was highly enjoyable stuff. And map 28 was disturbing as fuck with those tortured captured marines, took me by surprise. He's supposed to update that campaign into a more polished version called "Extermination Day" so I'd prefer if he spent his time on that.

He's probably burned out a bit by Brutal Doom, so this is a side-project to counter that. Stuff he's learning by doing VietDoom also benefits Brutal Doom for the future.

And if you want horrible levels in Extermination Day, I think Map07 wins hands-down. It's the one where you start by getting shot out of a garbage chute, then have to trek through some canyon to reach a building to find a key, then trek ALL THE WAY BACK to open the locked gate located right next to where you got dumped... and leads to a predictable ambush. The level actually feels popamole-ish to me.

And if you want horrible levels in Extermination Day, I think Map07 wins hands-down. It's the one where you start by getting shot out of a garbage chute, then have to trek through some canyon to reach a building to find a key, then trek ALL THE WAY BACK to open the locked gate located right next to where you got dumped... and leads to a predictable ambush. The level actually feels popamole-ish to me.

Wow, so that replaces this level?

It wasn't one of the best levels but it was real short and kind of amusing for an ambush level. Died several times at first. It would be a shame if Extermination Day actually turns out to be a downgrade from first iteration, I guess I'll wait for final version and see for myself.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I don't recall having played that exact map. I wonder if that's a past version, or later from the one I played. I could also be off on the map number, but it's either MAP07 or MAP08.

Extermination Day is not all bad news, it has some awesome levels though. The urban fighting ones (roughly around MAP15) are pretty good, and MAP18 had you crossing through a war-torn downtown area, culminating in a boss fight against Corax.

However MAP18 has been updated to emphasis the tank. Now it's a huge war-torn downtown area full of tanks and heavy hitters, but DoomGuy also has a tank (or two) of his own!

I don't recall having played that exact map. I wonder if that's a past version, or later from the one I played. I could also be off on the map number, but it's either MAP07 or MAP08.

The version I played was called "Hell On Earth Starter Pack", so you probably haven't played it at all. I only found out about "Extermination Day" when i was already few maps into the older version and decided to keep at it and then wait for full release of E-Day.
Urban levels on Earth were ok but a bit too large for my taste and progression in one of them pissed me the fuck off. I believe that map was called "Warzone" and it had a red door that only lead to a couple of secrets and the actual way to progress was through a blue door, which you can open earlier than red one and you have to do some silly jumping there. Hopefully that map is actually improved now.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Stuff he's learning by doing VietDoom also benefits Brutal Doom for the future.

Indeed. According to the video's comments, he says he'll release the final version of the E-Day mappack once the alpha of VietDoom is done.
By the way, how is Brutal Doom 64 compared to the vanilla Doom 64 game?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I believe that map was called "Warzone" and it had a red door that only lead to a couple of secrets and the actual way to progress was through a blue door, which you can open earlier than red one and you have to do some silly jumping there. Hopefully that map is actually improved now.

One of the absolutely worst things about the urban area maps (which thankfully only involves finding the secrets) involves circlestrafe jumps, i.e. jumping at an angle to round a corner in mid-air to land on a platform. That reeked of tryhardism to me.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Stuff he's learning by doing VietDoom also benefits Brutal Doom for the future.

Indeed. According to the video's comments, he says he'll release the final version of the E-Day mappack once the alpha of VietDoom is done.
By the way, how is Brutal Doom 64 compared to the vanilla Doom 64 game?

I haven't played the original Doom64, but I found Brutal Doom64 pretty enjoyable.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.moddb.com/mods/vietdoom/news/development-diaries-2-and-3

Two new development diaries have been released, showcasing enemy AI, and vehicles.

The first video showcases the new AI system. And a basic introduction to the vehicles.
The second video shows the tanks and the newly added helicopter in combat against enemy infantry and tanks.

I initially did not plan to add helicopters due the way the maps are designed. To prevent framerate drops, the jungle needs to be designed as "corridors" to block the line of sight and you can`t fly over trees but I decided to make one huge map that takes place in a valley, which makes possible to have helicopters on it without causing too much lag.
The helicopter is still pretty much a prototype, I'm going to make modifications on it in the future releases to make it's movement feel more realistic.

I do plan to release a public alpha in the following days, so stay tuned.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.moddb.com/mods/vietdoom/news/public-alpha-01-is-released

The first playable alpha of VietDoom has been publicly released.
This alpha contains 5 levels (Map01, Map02, Map03, Map04, and Map09).
Keep in mind this an ALPHA, it has some bugs... many bugs to be honest. But you can play the demo levels just fine.

Check the files section to download it.
I have also opened the forum for reporting bugs (oh I know there will be a lot of them).

Here are some videos showcasing the four first levels.

We also have an official server for playing online on Zandronum:
[TSPG] Painkiller: VietDoom Alpha 0.1 Official Testing Server

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom