Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bard's Tale Trilogy remaster gets major update, Wasteland remaster coming in Q4 2019

JDR13

Arcane
Definitely looking forward to this. I tried getting into Wasteland a few years back, but it was too dated for me without the nostalgia of having played it back in the day.

I hope they fix the skills that were broken/useless in the original.

That's strange. I did the same few years ago and I didn't have the same problems. The only problems I had was that using separating party members UI took too much time use which went against the idea of using this mechanic to experiment and that you were basically playing in the god mode because no enemies could kill you.

What's strange? Everyone has different limits when it comes to playing older games. Some games jusrt don't make the cut for me anymore.

Darkzone

Arcane
The original Gold Box tetralogy with this level of remaster would put those games on the top of any RPG list, no more excuses about dated graphics or bad controls/UI.

Wizardry 1-3 would also be cool, but the SNES port is already very good and follows the Japanese Wizardry enemy design, which I definitely prefer. Ultima IV-VI saga would be amazing too, shame that fucking EA owns that shit now.
Just imagine the both Dark Sun games remastered in this quality and without bugs.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The original Gold Box tetralogy with this level of remaster would put those games on the top of any RPG list, no more excuses about dated graphics or bad controls/UI.

Wizardry 1-3 would also be cool, but the SNES port is already very good and follows the Japanese Wizardry enemy design, which I definitely prefer. Ultima IV-VI saga would be amazing too, shame that fucking EA owns that shit now.
Just imagine the both Dark Sun games remastered in this quality and without bugs.

You bloody tease.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think remaking 1990s RPGs like Dark Sun is a more difficult proposition. At that point you start having more detailed and immersive worlds, lots of dialogue and scripted events, graphics that aren't as trivial to improve upon, etc. You start needing a more serious budget to do them justice. That's why the 8 bit Apple II/C64 era is a good cutoff.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Besides, Dark Sun looks and plays just fine. Gold Box, however, would benefit massively from uniform visuals and game mechanics across all entries (especially Pool of Radiance, which is a PITA to play for several reasons).

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet

Damn. That would be amazing

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
in exile's obsession with Bard's Tale is like an overbearing mother's obsession with her 30 year old son that's still living in her basement. This series is not producing any money and it's seen largely as an embarrassment by anyone who's familiar with it, but mommy still tries, bless her heart. Perhaps her efforts should be better spent on innovating and creating new IPs instead of releasing old titles with technology that's constantly 10 years behind the mainstream.

Mommy already experienced menopause. She's barren so her son is all she can amount to now.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
THAT'S A BIG FUCKING CARROT!!!

"At last we have something to eat."

I still hope for a construction set for BT1-3. I like some of that WL1 art and hope they keep true to the game. Maybe they're building decent toolsets for these games so we might see Dragon Wars, Fountain of Dreams, Escape From Hell and new games utilizing similar engines.

I need a new computer. Gotta stop putting that off.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I still haven't finished BT3 Remastered. Got very near the end but then got burnt out. Didn't feel it was as good as BT1 & 2. Still have the game saves on my cloud in the unlikely event I ever complete it though.
Wait did they release parts 2&3 already??? When I got the trilogy you only pay one was finished.

Regarding Wasteland. I really don't like the screenshots so far. T they somehow feel off. And it isn't just nostalgia. I played wasteland for the first time only a couple of years ago and was amazed how well it held up. It even had animated portraits. Though maybe that was just the rerelease?
Portraits were animated on c64, AppleII, and dos. You can still find dsk images for rom use if you want to compare.

Darkzone

Arcane
Besides, Dark Sun looks and plays just fine.
Idk, I hear there are still a ton of bugs, especially in the second game.
I had always game breaking bugs in DS:Wake of the Ravager and therefore i never managed to play through it. So yes i have quite a reason to hope for a remake.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom