Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EXODUS - Sci-Fi Action-Adventure RPG with Time Dilation from James Ohlen's Archetype Entertainment

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.exodusgame.com

And wow, he joins WotC, and will lead a new Austin-based video game development studio to create new IP: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-04-24-james-ohlen-joins-wizards-of-the-coast

James Ohlen joins Wizards of the Coast
Former BioWare creative director returns to gaming to create new IP for Dungeons & Dragons, Magic: The Gathering owner

When James Ohlen retired from BioWare last year, he said he needed a break from the industry. Speaking with GamesIndustry.biz this week, the lead designer of games like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Baldur's Gate says he originally intended to step away from video games for a few years, but has been lured back ahead of schedule by Wizards of the Coast.

"I had pretty well turned down most opportunities for interviews to get back into the industry, but I talked to Wizards of the Coast president Chris Cocks and he gave me a scenario that was very intriguing and interesting, so I flew up to Seattle and sat down with Wizards of the Coast for six hours of interviews. It was like the scene out of The Godfather where it was an offer that was too good to refuse."

That offer was to run a new Wizards of the Coast development studio based in Austin, where Ohlen was already living. And even though Ohlen has a storied history with Wizards of the Coast's Dungeons & Dragons property (He held key design positions on Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, and Neverwinter Nights), this new studio has a mandate to focus on creating original intellectual property.

"I think it's more personal than the projects I was working on in the latter half of my career at BioWare/EA," Ohlen says. "The projects in the early days of BioWare were very personal to me. D&D has been a huge part of my life since I was eight years old. The Baldur's Gate games were very personal to me, and Star Wars is another thing I love.

"This is just an opportunity to work on projects as personal to me as the good ol' days of the '90s and early '00s. In that time, work wasn't work for me at all. I didn't think of the work I was doing then to be anything but a labor of love. It was the most fun. I would prefer to be working on one of my games than going on vacation. I was a little bit of a workaholic, because I loved it. And Wizards is giving me an opportunity to return to those personal projects."

When asked about the impact workaholic leadership can have in shaping a studio's culture, Ohlen says he's mindful of the implications, and has been reaching out to friends, peers, and mentors like BioWare founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk for advice.

"Obviously I want to create an environment and a studio that is one people enjoy coming into, where they're not working themselves to death and are able to have a family life," Ohlen says. "I'm no longer a workaholic. I have a family and other commitments. And even when I was a workaholic in my 20s, I always knew that as a creative lead, it was less work for me than anyone else. I never expected anyone to work as many hours or as hard as I did because it wasn't work for me. The less creative control you have over things, the more work it becomes. So when you're at that level, you have to realize it's a different environment for you than it is for everyone else. And you need to be careful because sometimes, if you're not clear about that, people can assume you expect them to work as much as you are."

He adds, "In terms of setting the culture, I really thought that the culture of BioWare is something I want to model my new studio after. They did a great job."

As for the long-term vision for the studio, Ohlen said he's "pretty sure" Wizards of the Coast wants it to be a AAA developer in the future, but adds that there's no set goal for how big the studio will get or a timeline for when it will get there.

"We discussed something organic," Ohlen says. "We don't grow projects on an artificial timeline. We do it organically. We add people as we need them, and don't commit to a schedule until we know it's actually doable and possible.

"We understand that video games are one of the most complex pieces of software you can build. It's like taking a Hollywood movie and multiplying it by the space program. It's very difficult to project timelines for a video game. Right now, we're just focused on IP development and IP development requires a smaller team."

As for Wizards of the Coast's interests, Cocks adds a few details, noting that the company is taking the same approach with Ohlen's studio and its original IP as it takes with its other brands. Essentially, while the company's expertise in pen-and-paper role-playing and trading card games could be brought to bear on whatever original franchises the Austin studio creates, brand expansions and tie-ins are not a foregone conclusion.

"Our first step is to build a franchise that will endure, like Magic and D&D, and we'll figure out the right platforms for that world to express itself over the years to come," Cocks says, adding, "We think our strength is in creating fun, detailed worlds that players and our community want to immerse themselves in. Obviously, we have a rich lineage in tabletop and trading cards, but what our focus on is developing a world that people will care about and then figuring out which platforms let people connect with it in the best possible way for them."

Also he did a new adventure book for D&D 5e, namely Heroes of Baldur's Gate: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/269398/Heroes-of-Baldurs-Gate-5e

Last edited by a moderator:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
James Ohlen, the real-time guy: https://venturebeat.com/2019/04/24/...republic-designer-james-ohlen-for-new-studio/

Cocks said in a short email interview that the new project wouldn’t be based on Ohlen’s work at Arcanum Worlds.

“No, James still has Arcanum Worlds, and he’s free to publish his previous creations there, but this will be something that nobody has ever heard of before,” Cocks said.

“So it’s a new IP they want me to develop,” Ohlen said.

The announcement brings about an obvious question: Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering are two juggernaut franchises. D&D‘s is hotter now than it ever has been in its 40-year history. Why create a new IP now?

“We think that we’ve been uniquely successful because we’ve developed franchises that endure,” Cocks said. “We want to continue to build off the strength of those brands and develop new content and experiences that will allow fans to experience them in many more ways.

“At the same time, it’s important to us that we also empower our creators to pursue their passions. We’re driven by innovation and creativity, and so is James, so we’re looking forward to the new worlds we can build together and share with our community.”

Cocks also didn’t commit to a platform — console/PC or mobile — for Ohlen’s new studio.

“We’re focused on unlocking the potential of Wizards’ digital experiences, and I think James is a key hire toward that goal. So as we develop our digital library, I don’t think we’re tied to a specific platform; it’s more about finding the right ways to connect our franchises to people,” he said.

Ohlen said he hasn’t even officially started at Wizards yet — that happens in May. He hasn’t made any hires at the new Austin outpost, though he’s talked to some people.

“I don’t want to say any names yet,” Ohlen said. “But there’s people I’ve reached out to and say ‘Hey, here’s this opportunity. I think you’d be great for it.'”

But I did get Ohlen to take a stance on one thing — whether he prefers real-time/pause or turn-based combat. He told me that he was BioWare’s Warcraft 2 office champion. No wonder Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter, and Knights of the Old Republic all have real time-plus-pause combat.

“I have always been a real-time guy,” Ohlen said.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
KOTOR, Dragon Age: Origins lead designer will lead a new studio for Wizards of the Coast

James Ohlen also has lead design and writing credits on Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Jade Empire, and more.

Dungeons & Dragons company Wizards of the Coast announced today that it is opening a new studio in Austin, Texas, that will be headed up by former BioWare stalwart James Ohlen. Ohlen left BioWare last year after a 22-year career, during which he amassed design and writing credits including the Baldur's Gate series, Neverwinter Nights, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, and Dragon Age: Origins.

"I didn’t think that I would be coming back to the game industry so soon but working with Wizards is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," Ohlen said. "Our mutual love of RPGs, world-building, and interactive storytelling is a perfect match."

What exactly the new outfit will be getting up to hasn't been revealed at this point, but a rep said that it will a "multimedia studio," with "freedom to develop different expressions." Interestingly, and also a little bit disappointingly as a big Baldur's Gate fan, it apparently will not be a D&D project: Wizards of the Coast said the studio "will focus on the creation of original IP outside of the Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons brand."

One possibility is that it will be related to Odyssey of the Dragonlords, an "epic adventure book" in the works at Arcanum Worlds, a publishing venture Ohlen co-founded last year with fellow former BioWare bros Jesse Sky and Drew Karpyshyn. The company launched a $50,000 Kickstarter to support the book on April 16, and after just one week it's already pulled in almost four times that amount.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/kotor-dr...l-lead-a-new-studio-for-wizards-of-the-coast/

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
For the last 5+ years all these names and IPs from the old days have been dragged into the spotlight to create hype, and not a single time has this led to a good game. How long will you keep getting hyped for nothing, cuckdex?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
If WotC is starting their own vidya game studio, I guess that makes it quite unlikely that they will license any other game developer to make a D&D game, even if the new studio isn't going to work on D&D for now.. :negative:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
If WotC is starting their own vidya game studio, I guess that makes it quite unlikely that they will license any other game developer to make a D&D game, even if the new studio isn't going to work on D&D for now.. :negative:

They've been working with external developers.

That makes me think, what happened to a slew of D&D video games to be released by 2020?

Announced or released D&D video games since that interview:

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I think it’s unlikely that this original IP ever becomes a success. What has this guy done to suggest that he can create a whole new IP? He’s basically done a good job creating things within existing rulesets and settings. Larian getting this guy for BG3 would have been a good fit, here this guy is going to find himself in a situation like he did the last 15 years, taking on too large and nebulous of a task.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
And wow, he joins WotC, and will lead a new Austin-based video game development studio to create new IP: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-04-24-james-ohlen-joins-wizards-of-the-coast

James Ohlen joins Wizards of the Coast
Former BioWare creative director returns to gaming to create new IP for Dungeons & Dragons, Magic: The Gathering owner

He brought the members of Arcanum Worlds: Jesse Sky and Drew Karpyshyn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jesse-sky-70122226/

Creative Director

Company Name Wizards of the Coast
Dates Employed Jun 2019 – Present
Employment Duration 3 mos
Location Austin, Texas Area

Working with James Ohlen and Drew Karpyshyn to create new IP.

I guess Drew is working as freelance writer.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wizards of the Coast, the company behind Dungeons and Dragons and Magic: The Gathering, is building a new game studio. Called Archetype Entertainment, the game developer will be lead by former BioWare veterans James Ohlen and Chad Robertson.

Ohlen, head of studio, has served as creative director and lead designer on BioWare games such as Baldur’s Gate, Dragon Age, Neverwinter Nights, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

Robertson was also previously at BioWare Austin, where he served as head of technology and studio director. Robertson was head of live services for BioWare’s Anthem before leaving the studio in November. He’ll serve as vice president and studio general manager at Archetype.

Archetype’s debut project is described as a multi-platform role-playing game “set in an all-new science fiction universe that will send players on a story-driven epic where choices they make will have real consequences on how their story unfolds.” The property will be set outside of the D&D and Magic franchises.

Wizards originally announced it was hiring Ohlen to lead a new studio in April 2019.

Source: https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/30/2...st-archetype-entertainment-bioware-new-studio

I wonder if Chad Robertson really is a chad.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Archetype’s debut project is described as a multi-platform role-playing game “set in an all-new science fiction universe that will send players on a story-driven epic where choices they make will have real consequences on how their story unfolds.”

sounds gr8

edit:
:badnews:

Last edited:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
stephan_martiniere_mining_village_1.webp

Right lower corner: did anybody think of Xardas here?

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
story-driven epic where choices they make will have real consequences

Didn't these chumps say the same thing about Mass Effect? Why must they continue to lie about something so inconsequential to most people?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom