Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So Jade Empire

groundhog

Educated
Started playing this, made it to chapter 2. So far, standard Bioware fare of tolerable variety.

But, saying "I fucking love the setting" would be a serious understatement.

No, seriously, I'm Lifting Wind Zan Pao, an ebul sword-swiniging, fire tossing lezbian. Lifting fucking Wind. How awesome is that?

I really like what I saw all in all. Just one question - is there a good doc that lists all techs/martial arts by chapter? I always like to check what I've missed in previous chapters, and Wiki, for instance, doesnt sort that shit by chapters - meaning its ultra easy to get spoiled doing so.

EDIT - So, a side quest NPC just told me, that as a gesture of thanks, if she gives birth to a daughter, shell name her after me. More Lifting Wind Zan Paos? Pure fucking awesomeness, this game.

Prima produced a guide for the Xbox version of the game, which I've found useful for information about the styles/techniques etc. (the link below is a downloadable pdf copy):

https://ia800200.us.archive.org/34/..._eGuide/Jade_Empire_Prima_Official_eGuide.pdf

Molina

Savant
I have good memories of Jade Empire, but I was 12 years old. I had to finish it two or three times in one summer. Now that it's 2019, can anyone confirm that it's still a good remembrance of past things ?

Prime Junta

I have good memories of Jade Empire, but I was 12 years old. I had to finish it two or three times in one summer. Now that it's 2019, can anyone confirm that it's still a good remembrance of past things ?

It's never as good as how you remember it (except VtM:B but that's special).

Even so yeah it's still not bad. It's not that it's exceptionally good in any particular area, it's more that it doesn't faceplant horribly in any particular area either, it doesn't take itself too seriously, and it has a highly cohesive, consistent feel about it. It was and remains good, clean, light-hearted fun.

Come to think of it, that's fairly rare really among RPGs. Most of the good ones seem to have one or two crucial areas where they're really exceptional, while faceplanting spectacularly in one or two other crucial areas.

I think it's garbage, the writing at times borderline embarrassing, it's almost comically on-a-rail for a RPG, it has one of the dullest combat systems around (despise the fact that I WANTED to like it in principle, because "Martial arts RPG with action combat? Fuck YES"), at least some of the most unusual NPCs companions could be interesting, if they weren't so underdeveloped and underused, and anyone without cerebral palsy could see that plot twist coming.
Getting a threesome at the end is basically the only thing I have fond memories of.

That said... why don't you just try it yourself?

P.S. Oh, and those "bullet hell" sections were the software equivalent of tumors.

_Vic_

Educated
Yeah, the game aged well.

The story is still solid, the setting is very good and the game always was comfortable to play, even more now because people are used to the witcher`s combat.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I remember I played this game on pure closed fist path and it was a fun romp that got quite a few chuckles from me on the hilarious evil things you can do in the name of the closed fist which is basically social darwinism.

v1rus

Arcane
Near the very end. Really enjoyed the game. 2 quick questions (SPOILERS AHEAD!)

1) Is it possible to turn all three romancable npcs to closed fist in the same play through (so that none of em (except the drunken master ofc) minds deaths hands binding/tainting the dragon). If not, can both Dawn Star and Silk Fox be made to do so? I mean, if you get threesome, they are both technically romanced, are they not?

2) any extracted document, or compilation, that has all npc comments?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom