Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
With RTX 2080 being 20 TFlops, and console optimizations you will need roughly 50% more powerfull GPU on PC to achieve same results that PS5 will produce, which means that in 2020 you will need a 30 TFLOPS GPU in your PC for it to be same as PS5. Nvidia should launch new vidya in 2020 just for this, which means that PS5 will be equal to latest high end cards in 2020, that's pretty much a beast, that's the first time in history a console will be equal to high end PC hardware during its release.

abija

Prophet
If it will have same raw power as a 5700XT I'll be impressed.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Talk about new consoles running 4k/30 is so 2 years ago. A fuckload of games run without a hitch in 4k/30 both on PS4 Pro and on the X. More on the X tho. I.e RDR2

Games running in 4k/60 are more rare, on the X theres like 5 games so far and prob some backward compatible shit from last gen.
Halo 5, GoW 4, Forza 7, Battlefield V and Trials Rising. Thats it, but still impressive concidering how small and silent that little box is.

I hope the standard will be 4k/60 and with downsampling for ppl with old TVs for the new consoles. 8k will prob be more of a fad and there's like 20 ppl in the world with 8k TVs now.
Price is another interesting question, I think they will shoot anywhere from 600-800 euros.

If millions can throw 1500 euro for a new iPhone, 600 doesn't seem like a mega expensive deal.

The Decline

Arcane
Talk about new consoles running 4k/30 is so 2 years ago. A fuckload of games run without a hitch in 4k/30 both on PS4 Pro and on the X. More on the X tho. I.e RDR2

The majority of the games that run in full native 4k are remakes/remasters of previous gen games.

The vast majority of 4k res games are done with checkerboard rendering. The equivalent of 1440p performance wise.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yes, checkerboard rendering at 30fps on PS4, sometimes native sometimes not 4k 30fps on Xbox One X, but often with dips to 25 or so frames. This is shit, not something to brag about.

sullynathan

Arcane

The majority of the games that run in full native 4k are remakes/remasters of previous gen games.

The vast majority of 4k res games are done with checkerboard rendering. The equivalent of 1440p performance wise.
This is not true for the one x. I'm sure I've even posted the videos showing so and the next gen consoles are certainly going to be more powerful than that

Price is another interesting question, I think they will shoot anywhere from 600-800 euros.

If millions can throw 1500 euro for a new iPhone, 600 doesn't seem like a mega expensive deal.
People pay for their overpriced phones in installments/monthly plans. They'd rather pay 12x50$ than 1x400$. MS has also already experimented with a payment plan for the xbox one x in some states.

There's only about 10-20 million early adopters willing to pay 400$+ for a console. Most console gamers don't buy into a new console generation until it's priced below 300$ with a game.

MS & Sony wouldn't make the mistake of making their consoles expensive like that without providing some perceivably cheaper alternative for the remaining 90% of the audience (streaming, payment plans).

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This is not true for the one x. I'm sure I've even posted the videos showing so and the next gen consoles are certainly going to be more powerful than that

It's pretty true in most cases. With big new games anyway, not old Xbox 360 ports. They either run under 4k or run really poorly in the vast majority of cases. I get this info from the same Digital Foundry videos he posted about. Hitman 2 for example has a 4k mode but it runs so far below 30fps they have a 1440p mode too.

Also 30fps sucks anyway and, again, is nothing to brag about.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
People pay for their overpriced phones in installments/monthly plans. They'd rather pay 12x50$ than 1x400$. MS has also already experimented with a payment plan for the xbox one x in some states.
I think it's more that a lot of people live month to month or close to it, and would rather pay 50 bucks now and over the next 12 months (which can presumably be cancelled in case of emergency by returning it), than waiting 8 months to buy it outright.

Gotta have that instant gratification.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I usually switch to "performance* mode in most of 4k games tho. Forza, Tomb Raider are way more "playable" to me, maybe cause I game on PC the most and I get a better "feel" to the gameplay and that I suspect is do to the screen differences. 1ms delay on gaming screen vs 30ms delay on TV in gaming mode. If I switch the TV mode to something else its unplayable.

I noticed it the most on Trials Rising, on PC it control feel is natural and it does what I tell it to do but on TV its like Im fighting against it.

sullynathan

Arcane

It's pretty true in most cases. With big new games anyway, not old Xbox 360 ports. They either run under 4k or run really poorly in the vast majority of cases. I get this info from the same Digital Foundry videos he posted about. Hitman 2 for example has a 4k mode but it runs so far below 30fps they have a 1440p mode too.

Also 30fps sucks anyway and, again, is nothing to brag about.
It's not

Full 4K 60

Super Lucky's Tale
Halo Master Chief Collection
Mantis Burn Racing
Killer Instinct
Fifa 2017 & 2018
P.E.S. 2017 & 2018
NBA 2K17 & 2K18
Resident Evil 7
Paladins
Neon Chrome
Diablo 3
Madden 18
Path of Exile
The Walking Dead: Final Season

Full 4K

Checkerboard, dynamic or adaptive

Not many of the 4K games are last gen ports.

30 fps is acceptable especially when you remember that consoles are made for TVs which usually go up to 60 hz max. Next gen is being more flexible by allowing up to 120 fps. A drop in frames for 5 seconds at best is negligible in most video games and is usually less egregious in the multiplayer games which is where it matters the most.

abija

Prophet
30 fps is ok if its stable and never drops even 1 fps, you get used to it after a while.
I played Unreal at 400x300 (or lower), ~10 fps and got used to it after a while. Doesn't make it OK.

30 fps is only fine for slow/static games. But then again, for 4k difference to be meaningful the game must be some slow cinematic bullshit.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
When silky smooth 30fps stops being a meme and becomes the accepted norm.

Decline...

Is inevitable.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Design leaked

sony_ps5_development_kit_1024x626.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom