Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers - now with Aftershock DLC

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Git gud.

Hit scan exists to ruin your life for a reason, so you don't get comfy with your "muh dodging skills" and you won't be able to just waltz through the game like a walk in the park.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Git gud.

Hit scan exists to ruin your life for a reason, so you don't get comfy with your "muh dodging skills" and you won't be able to just waltz through the game like a walk in the park.

As I mentioned, hitscan is perfectly fine when used in the manner Doom and Duke use it, and terrible when it's a trial and error-fest.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Git gud.

As I mentioned, hitscan is perfectly fine when used in the manner Doom and Duke use it, and terrible when it's a trial and error-fest.

MARANAX INFIRMUX!!!!!!!!!!!!

CRUDUX CRUO!!!!

PrettyDeadman

How's the hitscan in this thing, like Doom/Duke or terrible like Blood and a million other mediocre 90s shooters?

For the record, it's not hitscan, almost all enemy attacks can be dodged if you're quick and move in the right direction.

Calling the best Build engine game "terrible", though...
So you are telling that Blood has wonderful hitscan? Especially on higher difficulties, where they add even more histcan cultist...

PrettyDeadman

Git gud.

Git gud vs hitscan enemies aka literally play popamole around the cover.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Ah, the hitscan meme.

Holy crap, I don't know one from two and am generally pretty retarded, but really want to discuss them shooting games with other people on the Internet and fit in. Whatever I'm gonna talk about? How about...

Hitscan. Hitscan. Hitscan.

Hitscan.

HITSCAN.

You know that one game that had hitscan enemies? How about that hitscan bro, amirite.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Aside from Eurogamer, none of the prominent reviews emphasize or give credit to the game for featuring a strong female protagonist in a traditionally male-dominated genre, fighting against a male villain and the patriarchy as a whole.

Not woke enough

50830226-1550410322.png

I'm woke now, I mean awake, she has some fine assets

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
How is the maximum difficulty compared to other Build engine games ?
Properly difficult. Did a few test runs of the first level late at night yesterday, and got my ass handed to me on Maximum Fury. Afterwards, I toned it down a notch, and it is about as difficult as most Build games - challenging but not impossible to iron man. Or, well, iron womyn.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Got this today, played through the first level. Gaem seems fine, but there's one thing so far that irks me a lot, and that's the lame enemy design. Generic cultists with guns are very uninteresting in the first place, but the fact that they also don't yell anything is even worse - not just for characterisation (MARANAX INFIRMUX, AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH), but also for 'gameplay feedback' - whether you get spotted, hit them, kill them, etc.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Git gud.

If a game's challenge is well designed, then the devs don't need to resort to cheap tricks to make things difficult.

otsego

Cipher
I am finding two very annoying issues with this so far:

- The framerate seems to drop randomly either during gameplay or after a quick save. For some reason doing another quick save will solve the problem. Mem leak / garbage collection failing?

- There is very little feedback when being attacked. No sound, a barely noticeable screen flash. A lot of the times I'll be exploring a room looking for ammo and armor only to realize 15 seconds later that I'm being shot from some distant enemy I can't see or hear. Given how quickly health and armor drain on the second-hardest difficulty, this almost makes scrounging for those little armor scraps and health packs almost pointless in some scenarios.

Jezal_k23

My framerate doesn't drop often but it doesn't always feels as smooth as I'd have liked. Minor issue though.

I love the game otherwise, easily the most beautiful Build maps I had ever seen, and it plays really well.

Enemy variety gets higher as you go through the game, but the game lacks crazy weapons which were always a staple of 90s shooters.

ZeniBot

Cipher
Enemy variety gets higher as you go through the game, but the game lacks crazy weapons which were always a staple of 90s shooters.

I would give ANYTHING for Duke 3d's Shrink Ray in this game. I'm disappointed they didn't think to add it. This very much is a shadow warrior style game through and through which is still damn fine but Duke's weapon variety is really what this game needs badly.

mwnn85

Savant
It definitely helps to acquire all the secret items in the first level if you're playing on the tougher difficulties.
It's a bit like Blood in that respect where you start off weak.

In the first level alone you can get 200 Heavy Armor, Double Uzi, Crossbow, those useless puck things, etc.
Plus the Blade Runner reference. Not much fun to balance on the vents and wires though so I just used noclip for the video.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ffTlSyMJYxYZt6hnmdphNS7Bmf_BEjOA/view?usp=sharing

Still wish the ammo capacity was higher though; Duke can carry hundreds of bullets.
I'd replace those shit pucks with something better - I don't see how they're any better than the bowling bombs.

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

I'm fine with the pistol capacity, but the damn shotgun kills me with just 48 rounds. I haven't run out of ammo yet though, as opposed to some reviewers complaining about lack of ammo.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I haven't had this fun playing a shooter since Blood. As people have pointed out since the very first demo the game is blander in terms of enemies, weapons, protagonist and so on and that's still true but even so it's miles above any FPS released in the last two decades or so. It's just a very solid game, just like they used to make them, and that's very exceptionally rare these days in all genres. The levels are fantastic both in terms of design and aesthetics, the gameplay feels great, the interactivity is there and it all comes together nicely. My hunger for old RPGs has been satiated with Grimoire which surpassed even the old. Now my thirst for a proper shooter has also been quenched with Ion Maiden. I'd never thought I'd ever play a newly made game that'd scratch that itch but here it is. WRATH might eventually further surprise me, but Quake is still seeing maps made and I never stopped playing it so it's not such a rare treat as this.

:4/5: - Almost as great as the Build trinity, but that's unfathomably better than anything else on the market.

Jezal_k23

I really dislike mainstream media saying this is inferior in design to modern FPS games though. If anything I think that shooters have significantly devolved since the 90s, into you being a passive entity who presses W and watches cutscenes while occasionally taking a peek at some dudes from behind cover to shoot at them a little bit. This is to me definitely what a competent FPS game should actually be like instead of the complete boredom of CoD and the like. Nonetheless, I see people saying that Ion Fury is outdated and that FPSes have "evolved" beyond this. Their complaints are usually about getting lost for a few minutes.

rohand

Cipher
Really love it but it's hard to top the absurd number of top notch Eduke32 community content that has since come out such as WGRealms, Roch and AMC TC
Apart from Blood and Duke himself

Jezal_k23

I think it might. It uses the same tools the modders already know how to use.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom