Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You can't lock yourself out of anything outside of the 2 main factions, only 1 can be joined (rest are hostile). But Aegis (initial one) has no content after a while, pirates are a bit better. You get to join the pirates during the Aegis questline (as it ends), or by going to F4. Just do Aegis, then join pirates later, that way you get everything.
What do you mean by this? Do you mean find the ACoNR and than negotiate for the professor?

Parabalus

Arcane
You can't lock yourself out of anything outside of the 2 main factions, only 1 can be joined (rest are hostile). But Aegis (initial one) has no content after a while, pirates are a bit better. You get to join the pirates during the Aegis questline (as it ends), or by going to F4. Just do Aegis, then join pirates later, that way you get everything.
What do you mean by this? Do you mean find the ACoNR and than negotiate for the professor?

No, I just meant that after the kidnapping Aegis doesn't do/have anything for you anymore.

Candide

Educated
So I'm doing the laser pistol scientist run and I've decided he should be aided by science! as much as possible instead of other things. Let me tell you that a 6DEX 30 throwing character with no evasion and no shields is more like Willie E. Coyote than Gordon Freeman. I keep blowing myself up constantly. But I just got through the depot with a lot of save scumming so life should get easier with shields.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
So I just bought the F-150 of jet skis, and am now short on Charons. How do you make some serious money? How much do jetskis generally sell for?

Parabalus

Arcane
What's the deal with Old Ib?

Gotta say that the pirate raids really make the jet ski seem fun, though it's horrible for melee.

So I just bought the F-150 of jet skis, and am now short on Charons. How do you make some serious money? How much do jetskis generally sell for?

>10k , depending on your Mercantile.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
So, I will be soon at the end of expansion one question burdens my soul:

It is worth to give Acorn to professor and can I still get katana if I do? I saw many people to refuse giving acorn, is there better alternative?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

If you're planning to earn charons by hijacking jet skis, I've got some bad news for you: Ray won't buy junk skis or faction/military skis, which seem to be pretty much all of the skis you can steal. If there are any quality skis around to steal, I have yet to spot one, although I haven't explored anywhere near the entire Black Sea yet. As far as I can tell, the option to sell exists solely to get rid of quality skis you've already purchased.

Yeah, it's like that. Imagine Styg flipping you the bird from his lair in Serbia, and you've got the right idea.

As for how to make money, you're in luck, because you're currently conversing with the grand high shekelmeister, the merriest meandering merchant, and the most potent shalomancer of Underrail.

For starters and to state the obvious, loot (or more properly, completed pieces of gear) is your main source of income, and the Mercantile skill will boost your profits immensely. Mercantile will aid you in less straightforward ways than increasing your per-sale profits and lowering your per-purchase costs, however. With a high Mercantile (85+), you can purchase the components for gear of all kinds (guns, armor, and especially electronics) from merchants, craft them into finished products, and then sell those products back for a profit. This is important for two main reasons: electronic loot is always in short supply; and some items are worth so much individually (20k+) that you'll need to barter them for more than just the charons the vendor is carrying, so it's helpful to grab any ammo and good components they're carrying, because the ammo and resultant finished products can be sold on to other merchants. The Power Management feat will greatly increase profits from sales of constructed electronic gear.

Speaking of ammo, it can be helpful to trade excess loot for it whenever possible, because ammo is almost as good as charons. Many merchants accept it in unlimited quantities, especially general goods merchants, who are otherwise difficult to extract charons from, since they only buy bits and pieces. Obviously you take a loss here by buying and then reselling ammo, but a high Mercantile helps, and the ultimate goal is to pile up pure charons.

Of special note are crossbows. Few merchants purchase them, and most who do don't have jack shit to trade for them. Lucas in the SGS armory is a major exception, because he buys crossbows and sells ammo. Always trade crossbows with him for ammo.

Furthermore, and very importantly, always repair loot before selling it in order to maximize its value. To accumulate a lot of repair kits, recycle cheap loot (basic leather armor, daggers, sledgehammers, leather from rathounds and such) and turn that into repair kits. Also, trade with merchants for daggers and balaclavas with good cost:durability ratios, recycle those, and turn them into repair kits, too. Finally, the repair kits themselves can be sold to a few merchants, so take about fifteen advanced repair kits with you on merchant runs.

In order to get lots of electronic repair kits as cheaply as possible, ideally buy the components for basic psionic headbands, craft them, and then recycle them into repair kits. If necessary, buy complete basic psionic headbands and turn them into kits. I say "basic" because the ones with mods are better off being sold directly than deconstructed, because mods greatly increase the value but don't increase durability (i.e., how many electronics scrap you'll get from recycling them).

As you can see, you'll need at least decent crafting skills and a good Mercantile skill to truly get the most out of all this. That's just how it is.

Parabalus

Arcane
So, I will be soon at the end of expansion one question burdens my soul:

It is worth to give Acorn to professor and can I still get katana if I do? I saw many people to refuse giving acorn, is there better alternative?

I'm pretty sure you can go for the it first, then come back to the professor. He won't leave until you talk to him.

ciox

Liturgist
6DEX 30 throwing character
80 effective throwing is required to throw grenades just outside of blast radius

sort of useful piece of info is that as you throw grenade, tile you marked will be covered even if you miss badly, its 3 tiles radius spread.

In theory yes, in practice your missed grenade will often fuck off to some cubbyhole where the explosion is blocked from reaching the target hex or any of the enemies, so you kinda want accuracy.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
How do I get Todd to open the gate? I convinced Shelley and the guy with the tool bracer, but I can't seem to figure out Stig. I read the medical records, what am I missing?

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
txoSf0l.png

Uhh, whoops.

Sheepherder

Augur
I visited Fetid Marshes again today and I have to say that I like the area very much. Barely did any combat while there, but it's a fun stealth puzzle. Maybe Styg intended it that way? With the combat approach being the least favorable one.

Tigranes

Arcane
I visited Fetid Marshes again today and I have to say that I like the area very much. Barely did any combat while there, but it's a fun stealth puzzle. Maybe Styg intended it that way? With the combat approach being the least favorable one.

If only you could tell where exactly you can and can't walk, maybe.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
You may not be able to sell the jetskis themselves....but you can strip them for parts and sell those :smug:

Heh, I already had a bunch of best-in-slot parts before I really even started the expansion, thanks to Ray's special inventory and robbing The Rig. Come to think of it, I should create my own "distraction" at the Aegis Expedition docks and strip all those parked skis down for parts, too. Those that aren't too useful but not too terrible either can be traded for the good shit.

It's worth noting that there actually is no such thing as a best-in-slot part. The best engines (blue rarity) draw more power, for example, so it may behoove the player to use a more efficient green- or even white-rarity engine. Higher-capacity batteries weigh more, so it can be a valid choice to use less capacious batteries and just recharge them more often. Suspensions can be dropped altogether to save on weight, especially for melee players.

My favorite ski is the Phaser. It's a bit beefier and will certainly carry more weight at speed than the Torpedo, has Turbo unlike the Blazer (and is faster, on paper anyway), and runs well with all-medium blue-rarity parts.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
How can I talk to the Ferryman about the Center? He always says it's too complicated, but I have 9 int. Is that not enough?

Sheepherder

Augur

If only you could tell where exactly you can and can't walk, maybe.
I use combat mode and mouse over to where I want to go and see if there is a path there.

Parabalus

Arcane
What's the "proper" way to dodge the camera in the Joint Security Headquarters?

You get the TNT from the left area, then you go back to the entrance to blow up the wall to your items. There's a camera right next to you after you zone into the entrance area, how are you supposed to know its orientation?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom