Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Does anyone actually think it's fun or interesting to have to cast a bunch of buffs on your entire party after every time you go to a new map or rest?
If so, do you enjoy eating paint chips?
I do, which makes me an autist.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Does anyone actually think it's fun or interesting to have to cast a bunch of buffs on your entire party after every time you go to a new map or rest?

Solution :
A ) Remove the ability and re design all encounters and other rules who will be changed in a chain reaction
B ) Allow you to autocast after resting certain buffs

People are giving suggestions here that will require to re design the whole game and rules to be implemented. I would rage-quit the game or put on story early on in the game, on Vordakai's Tomb, if i can only cast buffs on combat. QOL like autocast is fine, but no BS mechanics that makes no sense. Please. There are already 6547548746843532654376357653 games with mechanics that makes no sense. Let Pathfinder Kingmaker be PfK. QOL on loot is amazing... Just like you can auto-loot when exiting an map. You no longer is required to walk in circles looking from corpses and clicking in each one; QOL changes are fine. But this mmoish mechanics that makes no sense doesn't belong to pathfinder Why an haste spell would only work in combat? And what if i wanna use haste to explore faster an map? The game mechanics will force me to enter in combat with an party member only to use haste and move faster in an long map? To solve an problem, you generated tons of other problems and made the game far worse.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Alright, so I get how buffs at combat only is not an ideal solution and would mess up the balance. But what about the Concentration suggestions?

Why not let you to on resting window, choose what spells to cast in what members after each resting? And it not limited to buffs, you can for eg, cast 4 animate dead after resting automatically.

Codex Year of the Donut
There's a reason pathfinder 2E severely limited buff(heavily consolidated bonus categories) stacking and D&D 5E essentially gutted it via concentration.

Sykar

Arcane
Just make a limit like in Arcanum for the amount of spells you can keep up. Starts at 1 and then can be increased with feats and maybe level 10 or so you get a second for free.

This is so mmo-like... IMO no mechanics that aren't on core rules should be in the game.

First is limiting buffs, then summons, then limiting shapechange, them additing cooldowns and making sure that you never miss and ... PfK declined into an generic mmo clone.

5E in fact has that rule where you can only have on spell that requires concentration up.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There's a reason pathfinder 2E severely limited buff(heavily consolidated bonus categories) stacking and D&D 5E essentially gutted it via concentration.

5e has less save or die, dominating, petrification, negative level, etc effects. Buffs are necessary in many situations on PfK.

But again, to limit buffs, you will need to re design all encounters. Imagine fighting Spawnf of Rovagug, the toughest enemy by far, extremely tougher than Lantern King, with this limited buffs that you are suggesting....

deuxhero

Arcane
Is the missing brother quest really uncompletable till the story progresses by waiting? Went to Varnhold after getting the message and I had no options to ask about the quest. Looking it up it says I can only advance it after the actual vanishing. Really?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Wrong. This limitation makes no sense and some buffs due long casting time, like an full round was meant to be used before combat. If you are that dependent to buffs, you should lower the difficulty or see what you are doing wrong. And keep in mind hat supernatural powers are far more deadly on pfk. Imagine entering an encounter with wild hunt without time to cast freedom of movement and in the first round, the guy who can cast it fail his save.... You lost.

Well, there were some better alternatives mentioned earlier in the thread such as long buffs being concentration things - cast once and the character keeps it up without having to recast them. Would introduce an interesting mechanic where you have to pick and choose which buffs you want to have up as you don't have enough concentration for everything. And... I'm not quite sure I see a problem with that encounter with wild hunt - imagine instead being the monsters and being suddenly jumped but bunch of really buffed up adventurers.

The problem I'm really trying to solve is the amount of clicks. Yes maybe I don't have to cast everything. But even then I have a front line of 3 maguses. Each needs to cast Shield, Mirror Image, Blur, Arcane Weapon and Expeditious Retreat as a minimum. Skip the 1st 3 and I'm eating damage every fight, skip the last one and I'm suffering in Turn Based mode unless haste is on. Not casting Arcane weapon is just silly as a Magus, but at least it seems to be instant cast. All of these a 1 min per level. That's 15 clicks and pauses already with just their self buffs. Add Mirror Image + Expeditious Retreat for Octavia and some health buffs for her + stuff like Bless and that Communal Poison block and you're up to 20. Freedom of Movement is another 3+. Etc. They just need to start respecting the player's time.
Well then the problem is you. Don't use 3 Maguses as your tanks. They were never designed to be a tank. If they were then they would have unique long lasting buffs and not depend on 1 minute per level ones.

You might as well use 3 sorcerers as melee and then complain how you need to buff a lot to tank. It is what you chose to play, suck it up now.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Magus is a class that requires a lot of micro managing. This is why i din't used in my run. I only like to micromanage the main character

biggestboss

Liturgist
Got a question about using the Turn Based Mod: is there a way to increase movement speed? Seems like everyone walks instead of runs when in turn based mode. Also is there a way to tell if you can take an action like casting a spell after movement? Thanks in advance.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Got a question about using the Turn Based Mod: is there a way to increase movement speed? Seems like everyone walks instead of runs when in turn based mode. Also is there a way to tell if you can take an action like casting a spell after movement? Thanks in advance.

Yeah there are quite extensive speed options in the menu for the mod (CTRL+F10, scroll down to Turn-Based mod, click the icon with three white lines, that gets you into the options, the speed options are in the third "tab" along, IIRC). You can alter your team and mob speed independently.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Is the missing brother quest really uncompletable till the story progresses by waiting? Went to Varnhold after getting the message and I had no options to ask about the quest. Looking it up it says I can only advance it after the actual vanishing. Really?

Yeah, it's a little bit dumb, but you can't find the missing brother until you can wander freely in the Varnhold region and that doesn't happen until Varnhold Vanishing actually starts (i.e. you get the message that Varn is missing)

jf8350143

Liturgist
Use the bags of tricks mod. You can choose to increase moving speed(include your enemy, you can decide whether time passes faster or not) inside and outside the combat, on the world map and so on. It's a very useful mod and solves a lot of the problem you might have.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I think I'll be using the Increased Movement Speed mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/56) because Bag of Tricks looks like it also comes stapled to a bunch of cheat options that I wouldn't want to tempt myself with.

In Turn Based mode, is there a way to see how many time units I need to perform an action like attack, charge, cast spell? I've been watching videos of people showcasing the mod but no one seems to explain that bit of information.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
CAn i use Bad of Tricks to play as an undead and then remove the mod? Only because i don't wanna be tempted with cheats...

Shadenuat

Arcane
I think I'll be using the Increased Movement Speed mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/56) because Bag of Tricks looks like it also comes stapled to a bunch of cheat options that I wouldn't want to tempt myself with.

In Turn Based mode, is there a way to see how many time units I need to perform an action like attack, charge, cast spell? I've been watching videos of people showcasing the mod but no one seems to explain that bit of information.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm

biggestboss

Liturgist
Got it. I also started watching through the video shown on the mod's nexus page and now I understand why I seemingly can't ever do anything - clicking to move literally anywhere used my move action, so when I clicked a second time to adjust my positioning even when it was within that smaller circle, it consumed my standard action which is what was throwing me off. Now I should be able to play this game like TOEE which was my desire from the beginning.

Shadenuat

Arcane
So you won't go insane an unregistered easter egg from developers: if you hold CTRL while clicking to move you'll ignore collision with other characters.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Magus is a class that requires a lot of micro managing. This is why i din't used in my run. I only like to micromanage the main character

There are ways to cut down on some of it, even for magi. Extended magus arcana, aldori dueling mastery for an always on mini-shield plus sneaky good initiative boost, hospitaler/jaethal are immune to death so less death ward, Tristan comes with extended metamagic, etc...

Still a lot of buffing for magus tanks/pets so good to keep in mind before designing that party. Aside from the annoyance it’s more resting so worse kingdom performance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom