Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers - now with Aftershock DLC

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
getting like random 10fps drops here and there and it's annoying as fuck...

CyberModuled

Savant
Hopefully at the very least them turning on Steam Workshop support very soon will make more people aware of the modding tools available now.

kfo7b5.PNG

getting like random 10fps drops here and there and it's annoying as fuck...
Some people say it might be coming from the in-game V-sync and the solution would be using your GPU's own V-sync while uncapping FPS to something higher than your monitor's refresh rate but it's not consistent for others.

Curratum

I know it's a stupid question but can you compare this game with the new Blood release ?

It's not nearly as good as Blood due to weapon and enemy selections and atmosphere but it's miles ahead of Shadow Warrior and about on par with Duke 3D.

Ash

Arcane
I know it's a stupid question but can you compare this game with the new Blood release ?

It's not nearly as good as Blood due to weapon and enemy selections and atmosphere but it's miles ahead of Shadow Warrior and about on par with Duke 3D.

Duke 3D > Shadow Warrior > Blood. All three are some of the best FPS of all time.

I know we've done this before, but hail to the king. Blood is an absolutely solid game but I think it has bias on the codex for its theme, in the same way VTM:B's flaws are overlooked because storyfaggotry, cool gothic horror and titties. Yes the atmosphere is good. Yes the horror movie references are good. But I think the gameplay comes a little short of SW/Duke 3D, and both these games have great references and atmosphere of their own.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Two more things that bother me immensely about this game.

1. WOULD IT REALLY HURT TO PUT SOME FUCKING LIGHT SWITCHES IN HERE?

2. The weapon reloading is stupid and obtuse. I keep drawing the double uzis only to shoop 3 bullets and watch Bombshell reload for an eternity while I get swarmed by mudcrabs. They should have either added regular loaded/total ammo counts as every other fucking game does or have the guns autoreload when swapped.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Tip: to cancel weapon reloading, press the button of your currently equipped weapon again while reloading. Needs to be done twice with the SMG so you don't hold out only one of the SMGs.

geno

Savant
I am finding two very annoying issues with this so far:
- The framerate seems to drop randomly either during gameplay or after a quick save. For some reason doing another quick save will solve the problem. Mem leak / garbage collection failing?
Disabling V-Sync and lowering the resolution should improve the perfomance. If you have a Nvidia card, check the control panel and activate Triple-buffer and anti-aliasing.

Curratum

Duke 3D > Shadow Warrior > Blood. All three are some of the best FPS of all time.

I know we've done this before, but hail to the king. Blood is an absolutely solid game but I think it has bias on the codex for its theme, in the same way VTM:B's flaws are overlooked because storyfaggotry, cool gothic horror and titties. Yes the atmosphere is good. Yes the horror movie references are good. But I think the gameplay comes a little short of SW/Duke 3D, and both these games have great references and atmosphere of their own.

I really don't understand how you can even compare SW to it when SW is barely playable and easily the worst of the popular Build games, by a mile.

schru

Arcane
Shadow Warrior has lots of nuances to enemy attacks and the arsenal which make it somewhat tedious and difficult at first, but once you learn to use all the weapons, it's great.

Ash

Arcane
I really don't understand how you can even compare SW to it when SW is barely playable and easily the worst of the popular Build games, by a mile.

Fake news.

-A notable portion of Blood Ep 3 and 4 maps feel like average community-made maps. You don't even need to invest any time or look up map names to see this, just start Episode 3 and the very first map serves as a great example. How the fuck does that even compare to ANY Nukem or Shadow Warrior maps?
-Where's the interactivity? Yeah there's still some but levels are just less dynamic than the likes of Duke Nukem.
-The cultists are 3x worse than Doom's chaingunners and are overused. They'd be fine in moderation, but they're very present throughout the whole game. The enemy roster in general is small and not very impressive (regarding gameplay. Aesthetics are good). It's serviceable nonetheless but could and should be better.
-Some of Blood's arsenal is pretty underwhelming. Aerosol can, voodoo doll, life leach, pitchfork (not as good as sword or mighty boot imo).
-People like to bring up alt fire (and it is gud in Blood) but SW too has alt fire, which is also done pretty good (it's more like a fire mode toggle but still).
-Also, the soundtrack is good but could be better. There's not many tracks and only half or less are good. MIDI or CD version.

Blood is great. It's just slightly worse than Nukem and Shadow imo.

What the fuck is "barely playable" meant to mean in Shadow Warrior's case? It's one of the best FPS of all time. Maybe you're Chinese and got super upset at the "racism" and declared boycott on ResetEra.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Fake news.

-A notable portion of Blood Ep 3 and 4 maps feel like average community-made maps. You don't even need to invest any time or look up map names to see this, just start Episode 3 and the very first map serves as a great example. How the fuck does that even compare to ANY Nukem or Shadow Warrior maps?
-Where's the interactivity? Yeah there's still some but levels are just less dynamic than the likes of Duke Nukem.
-The cultists are 3x worse than Doom's chaingunners and are overused. They'd be fine in moderation, but they're very present throughout the whole game. The enemy roster in general is small and not very impressive (regarding gameplay. Aesthetics are good). It's serviceable nonetheless but could and should be better.
-Some of Blood's arsenal is pretty underwhelming. Aerosol can, voodoo doll, life leach, pitchfork (not as good as sword or mighty boot imo).
-People like to bring up alt fire (and it is gud in Blood) but SW too has alt fire, which is also done pretty good (it's more like a fire mode toggle but still).
-Also, the soundtrack is good but could be better. There's not many tracks and only half or less are good. MIDI or CD version.

Blood is great. It's just slightly worse than Nukem and Shadow imo.

What the fuck is "barely playable" meant to mean in Shadow Warrior's case? It's one of the best FPS of all time. Maybe you're Chinese and got super upset at the "racism" and declared boycott on ResetEra.

Eh, I didn't say this. You're quoting someone else.

Edit: Probably because Infinitron split the thread and it has messed up the post IDs.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Curratum said:

Fake news.

Easy, they're fun. I'll admit that it's been close to 20 years now since I've had a serious go at Blood, but it's only a few years since I had another go at Shadow Warrior, after having had a go at it also some 20 years ago. SW did not impress me that much then, and even less now. I did not enjoy every level of Blood (especially some in the Plasma Pak) but most of them were fun and memorable. The thing I remember most from SW is constantly trying to find the bloody keys, as well as some neat secrets and easter eggs. Not the gunplay or not the enemies. I wouldn't even remember the bosses weren't for them being present in a Doom mod I tend to play with now and again. Meanwhile I enjoyed every aspect of Blood, and remember most of it.

otsego

Cipher
I am enjoying this a lot but I've got two more really annoying observations that are impacting the quality of this game (in my opinion):

- I see people praising the AI, but I am finding it downright inept. They very often get stuck on walls and on each other clumped up. If I clear a room I more often than not just find everything stuck in a corner by a door or outcropped geometry (some may call this "waiting in ambush" ??)

- Similar to the lack of feedback and sound when getting shot, there is very little in the way of distinctions between enemies around you. All the cultists have the same annoying call, have very quiet or indistinct "pain sounds". Drones and ground creatures have a pitiful whirl or clickclack sound that is hard to distinguish. Remember the loud growls and pain from troopers in Duke3d.. or the whine of those awful exploding drones that let you know you better watch out?

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

Agreed about the AI actually. It is often really fucking dumb. Not commonly enough to affect my enjoyment of the game, but I do get situations of "really? You got stuck in that corner there?" or "really? You can't find your way to the door next to you in order to pursue me?".

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Nice DnB.

A game released in 2019 actually has a good soundtrack? It can't be.

The music seriously reminds me of the mod music that Andrew Sega used to make in the 90s.

I really wish more old school games would use mod soundtracks.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The music seriously reminds me of the mod music that Andrew Sega used to make in the 90s.

This particular track reminds me more of System Shock 2.

The music is p. cool in here.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Music is UT99-tier. It's fantastic.

Maps are nice, although I have to say that Episode 1 was underwhelming from an art perspective. There was not even one location that was kinda memorable like Duke Burger, or even that Chinese restaurant from Duke Nukem Alien Armageddon. Episode 2 definitely does better job with the shopping mall for example. Hopefully locations will get more interesting with the rest of episode 2 and upwards.

The revolver feels wonderful, shotgun is ok, uzis are nice, crossbow is a mixed bag, the rest is trash. Worst weapon arsenal of all build games in my opinion.

Shelly's (or whatever she is called) one-liners are seriously underwhelming, but that's what I expected. The only one which gave me a giggle was "Imagine a future, because you're not in it". That's it.

Still a good game so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom