Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King's Bounty II

Mazisky

Magister
Oh man, i loved Armored princess, i wasted hundreds of hours in it.

My feeling about this are mixed, i really don't like the 3rd person. Tactical part seems cool tho.

Reinhardt

Arcane
It looks more like another russian game - Восхождение на трон, than King's Bounty.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And dark side writing was shit even by shitty russian dev standards.
In Dark Side you could choose between an orc warrior, demoness and vampire, which is p. cool, but it was mostly just cosmetic and not much different than the classes in previous games.
It was cringy beyond belief. The writing was below fanfic.net Harry Potter stuff
Yeah not disputing that, the execution left much to be desired, but the concept itself was p. cool.

Renevent

Cipher
The first one + armored princess are fucking great, so naturally I'm hoping they do the game justice. I even liked warriors in the north though I do have to admit it wasn't quite up to par.

The first one is made by New World Computing, makers of Heroes of Might and Magic

Yeah I played that one too, obviously was talking about the first in the new series. Although I didn't play it on the C64, but rather on DOS/Sega Genesis.

_Vic_

Educated
I hope the brand does not lost all the appeal because of the repetitive expansions. The thing about the name: KB II gives some hope.
I personally liked this game, even though the te problems with balance and writing some of the games had.
And you do not have enough tactical games in your game library, so It is good news for me.

I wish they include mod support and map creator, I think a game of this type in 2020 must have this unless they want to be more a mere afterthought of a few months and want to keep going for years.

Renevent

Cipher
If there is one game series in the last decade (at least as far as the first two games are concerned) that really hooked me, it is this one. The Legend and Armoured Princess are extremely fullfilling gaming experiences. A preposterous amount of content in each game and a lot of replayability. I'm currently wrapping up my third playthrough of AP, after having played through KB: The Legend for the third also just a week ago. I even played Warriors of the North all the way through a few years back - that's how invested I am. The King's Bounty games are typically very long but WotN really took the piss in that regard. I haven't bothered with Dark Side or whatever it's called.

As for King's Bounty II: I really hope it offers the same kind of varied, polished and entertaining turn-based combat that I've come to love.

Yup, first two are fantastic. Dark Side sucks absolute balls though, don't even bother with it. It's completely unfinished, buggy, and basic shit like sound effects are broken. I never even got past the first island.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I never even got past the first island.
Do you mean the first island after prologue, or just literally the very first island? Because I thought the first like, two islands after the prologue were actually p. decent. It declines fast tho and the prologue is terrible.

Renevent

Cipher
I never even got past the first island.
Do you mean the first island after prologue, or just literally the very first island? Because I thought the first like, two islands after the prologue were actually p. decent. It declines fast tho and the prologue is terrible.

It's been a while, but I believe there's a short intro section underground then you pop up on an island...so it's the 2nd part.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well, KB is of one my favourite RPG IPs in the last 20 years, the best possible evolution of the Homam formula.

This looks completely different tho. Seem like the model we used to see a long time ago in Albion, Betrayal at Krondor or Realms of Arkania - blobber exploration with isometric TB combat. I've always LOVED this model and wanted someone to bring it back. So kudos. Art style looks kindda bland but better bland than another cartoony atrocity. Very stoked for this.

Renevent

Cipher
Something that does concern me is that the units appear to be more typical units...like a squad of footmen is just 4 dudes. One of the things I liked in KB is gathering up huge numbers of units.

Drowed

Arcane
My problem with the King's Bounty series is that basically they started redoing the same game over and over again just changing the skin. The first was cool, the second was nice, but from then on the series started to become a gray bubble of sameness. And ironically, instead of the game refining the mechanics and improving the stability, the games became more unbalanced and more buggy with each new release. A shame.

I dunno what to expect from King's Bounty II, but at least it will be something new. I'm hopeful, even if only a bit.

R@tmaster

Educated
My problem with the King's Bounty series is that basically they started redoing the same game over and over again just changing the skin. The first was cool, the second was nice, but from then on the series started to become a gray bubble of sameness. And ironically, instead of the game refining the mechanics and improving the stability, the games became more unbalanced and more buggy with each new release. A shame.
Strange to read something like this in the era of dlc.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I gotta say I much prefer the charming cartoony graphics and whimsical atmosphere of the previous KB games over what we've seen of this game so far.

cruel

Cipher
What a nice surprise, I wasn't expecting that this game will ever happen. The Legend and Armored Princess / Crossworlds still sit on top 2 of my most played games on Steam - 220h and 280h. Very few games gave me so much pure gameplay fun as those two - sitting down and planning to play for 1h, and waking up 3h later with no idea where the time has gone. I'm surprised those games don't get more love on the Codex, with all the tactical goodness they provide (if you try to play no-loss run that is). I think the uniqueness of the units was one of the best points about those games, and I hope they will preserve it in the second one as well.

Tigranes

Arcane
I think plenty of Codexers played the new KBs when they came out? I didn't appreciate how they made a gazillion identical ones, but KB & Armoured Princess were fantastic, and I'm glad to see a proper sequel.

Mazisky

Magister
I gotta say I much prefer the charming cartoony graphics and whimsical atmosphere of the previous KB games over what we've seen of this game so far.

Agree, the fairy vibe (along with the awesome ost) was pretty great in the last ones (expecially Armored Princess)

Drowed

Arcane
Basically, the series went like this:
The Legend << Armored Princess + Crossworlds >>> Warriors of the North >>>>>> Dark Side.

The Legend was a great start to the series. Armored Princess + Crossworlds was a step forward, refining and expanding the game further. Warriors of the North was meh, the biggest defect was being simply more of the same without bringing literally anything interesting to the table, so it gets boring. Dark Side was bugged, unbalanced and all it had to offer was the theme of "controlling the bad guys, only not really". It's not like the series really needs to reinvent itself or anything, but at least expand a bit.

Zalanthis

Barely Literate
My heart is uplifted by this news, but maybe it shouldn't be. It's unrecognizable as a King's Bounty game, and that announcer sounds like he's shilling Clash of Clans. I'd like to see a gritty reboot where the chest of rage grafts itself onto Bill Gilbert's arm like the Alien chestburster, while his zombie wife and their half-zombie babies look on in horror.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Looks a bit generic but at least it's pretty. Let's hope the gameplay is good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom