Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter INSOMNIA: The Ark - dieselpunk sci-fi action-RPG set on a decaying space station

JDR13

Arcane
This game should be perfectly playable by 2021.

Seriously though, it's a pretty cool setting. Wake me up when it's close to bug-free.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Need some help from someone who has finished the quest "What Is the Price of Freedom?"

I have the cloak and ID but once I get to the mission location, I can't do anything. All open doorways are blocked by guards who have very limited dialogue options and aren't budging. I can find one item that I can interact with - A generator on the bottom floor that requires level 4 in Mechanics.

Does this quest require a 4 in Mechanics in order complete? I can't find anything else to interact with on this map. And I'm about to turn level 12 and have zero points there so getting up to 4 seems unlikely - plus that's a ridiculous investment.

More importantly, is this quest plot critical? Based on what it is, it seems like it should be. But I also have the plot critical quest Thyper gave me.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/783170/discussions/0/1742229167186837549/

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
from steam.

Question: Any additional content planned?
Like DLCs etc?

Answer: Yep :). More news to come in 2019. Need to fix present bugs first though.

Who is excited!!! :)

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
from steam.

Question: Any additional content planned?
Like DLCs etc?

Answer: Yep :). More news to come in 2019. Need to fix present bugs first though.

Who is excited!!! :)

They already mentioned additional free content a month or so ago.. please tell me they are talking about that and not some DLC?

I don't know man. They could talk about many things.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Wake me up when Insomnia is done!

wait a minute...
thinking.png

Deleted Member 16721

Played a little, shelved it. It's too "dark and gritty" like all the other space/sci-fi RPGs. It also feels claustrophobic just being on the ship colony. I have to pass on this one.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I tried... for 30 hours it actually went pretty fine*.
But then I hit a game breaking bug (couldn't exit an area, cause the lift would get stuck somewhere :lol:). I'm not someone who replays hours of gameplay, so that's it for me. But maybe that is a good thing, because:

*I don't think I have ever seen such a gigantic discrepancy between the atmosphere/setting in a game and its gameplay.
Seriously, the atmosphere in Insomnia is one of the best I have seen in recent years. And this is what kept me going.
But the gameplay... wtf?! This has to be the worst character system in existence. Combat skills are 100% useless - what's the point in being able to raise your damage output by 25%(in total!!!) in a game in which you kill everything in 2-3 hits anyway (on hard, even)? Especially compared to skills that give you +50% XP when maxed out. Combat is also ridiculously broken.
You might walk around a corner and are suddenly shot dead by two lucky hits from faraway enemies - or you can walk right up to them cause they either miss 100 times in a row or just stare at you.

I won't even list all the other small bugs still in the game at 1.5. Yes, there's also still some Russian floating around here and there...
Probably the first game which makes me wish it was only 1/4th as long as it is and a walking simulator.

If anyone thinks about playing this game: Wait. Yes, still.
Don't make my mistake and jump in at 1.5. Probably not even 1.6.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Leave it to Fluent to cite a few of the only truly good things about a game as the reasons for disliking it. :roll:

*I don't think I have ever seen such a gigantic discrepancy between the atmosphere/setting in a game and its gameplay.
Seriously, the atmosphere in Insomnia is one of the best I have seen in recent years. And this is what kept me going.
But the gameplay... wtf?! This has to be the worst character system inexistence. Combat skills are 100% useless - what's the point in being able to raise your damage output by 25%(in total!!!) in a game in which you kill everything in 2-3 hits anyway (on hard, even)? Especially compared to skills that give you +50% XP when maxed out. Combat is also ridiculously broken.
You might walk around a corner and are suddenly shot dead by two lucky hits from faraway enemies - or you can walk right up to them cause they either miss 100 timer or just stare at you.

This a thousand times over. Glad to see someone actually play far enough to get what I've been saying in this thread.

If anyone thinks about playing this game: Wait. Yes, still.
Don't make my mistake and jump in at 1.5. Probably not even 1.6.

They will never fix the real problems with this game. They don't know how.

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
I'm nearing the end game and the bugs are starting to get more concerning. One might be game breaking, although I suspect it may just guarantee a less than optimal ending.

The lesser of the two happened after I did a plot critical mission. I stopped at the Vulture's Nest on my way back to the quest giver. And a speech triggered that is suppose to trigger when you get back to the quest giver location. Confusing as fuck at first but I reloaded and went straight back to the quest giver and things made more sense. Saving often is a must.

The other bug involves a broken map, including spots where you can run off the edge of the map into a bottomless void. It is the quest location for "All Flesh is Grass". The game gives you the specific impression that this is part of a plot critical quest line so I may be fucked:

This is the quest that Thel's father gives you. I get to the quest location, turn on the water pump, kill some wildlife in the first tunnel, go down one ladder, up another and reach a tunnel that has giant spheres blocking each end. Each sphere has a panel on it that can be hacked. What hacking these panels accomplishes, I have no idea. Seems like nothing. There is an invisible hole in this tunnel that happens to be right above a narrow walkway bridge that is over a subway track with a running train. Whether this hole is there on purpose or not, I don't know. On the one hand, it is right above a narrow walkway so that you land on the walkway perfectly after falling through the hole. On the other hand, the hole is fucking invisible and not easy to find even if you know where it is. Once you land on the walkway, there are doors on either end. Through each door is a plain grey texture-less platform. When standing on either platform, you can see unexplored rooms off in the distance because these rooms have no walls. You can step off the edge of the platform a bit without falling but eventually you will fall off into a bottomless void. Maybe there is a way to cheese a path to the unbroken part of the map but I doubt it. Other than falling through this hole in the floor, the 2nd tunnel is a dead end.

To make matters worse, I looked at a Youtube video of this quest and the map the guy was playing has major differences. No spheres blocking the 2nd tunnel. Other features of the map were different too. And the player did not have to fall through the tunnel floor to proceed. He spent a minimal amount of the time in the area where I'm stuck because he was able to just proceed through the 2nd tunnel to a 3rd ladder that leads to a doorway and into another complex entirely.

EDIT: After completing a different quest, I've been railroaded back to quest with the broken map as described in the spoiler. Visited the map again and it is still exactly as I've described. As far as I can tell, the game can't be completed. Serves me right for not returning the game upon realizing character fucking creation is bugged.
:decline::negative::stupid:

EDIT 2: :oops: Was doing a final check and found something I overlooked...... Back in the game!

It wasn't in the video I watched after I got stuck, but there is a barrel blocking a drain that can be destroyed. This drains water out of the room and allows a door that wouldn't open before to open. That eventually leads to a control room where another switch can be turned and the spheres roll out of the tunnel that was blocked. Saved there as it is late here... There is a big sign painted on the wall by the drain that basically says that unblocking the drain will open the door. :oops:

Before I tried this, I had gone back to the hole (bug) in the tunnel floor, fell onto the bridge and then rolled off the bridge onto the moving train hoping it would take me somewhere. Instead, I got stuck on a low ceiling, fell off the train and onto a track that ends with the bottomless void at both ends. :lol:

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
Ended up rage quitting this weekend. Well not really "rage" more just like "boredom and mild disgust quitting". Have to hand it to Jinn, it took me longer to get there but I eventually became completely bored with the combat. I've started the end game series of encounters and it seems like its going to be a long combat slog to the end.

Wasn't looking forward to that but I probably would have forced myself to finish if not for another annoying bug..... The way character advancement works in this game is that you get 1 skill point per level and that's the only advantage of leveling up. You can use that skill point to increase a normal skill (up to five points can be put in regular skills) or you can save up 3 skill points and buy a special skill. I twice went the 3 point route and bought a special skill. And one of the two was the skill that allows you to recruit a 2nd companion. A real no-brainer as the companions level up and some of their skills actually buff the main character.

The problem is that both companions have turned into suicidal imbeciles who instead of using their guns to shoot, use them as clubs. Not just sometimes. They literally charge every enemy and try to melee fight while armed with a gun. Started with Gosp but eventually even Lashta fell victim to this bug. Dismissing them and taking them back doesn't fix them. It is basically impossible to keep them alive for very long now. And when they die, I lose all the buffs that I got from having them on my team. My character is level 14. So 3 out of 14 skill points I attained during the game - the only resource provided at level up - are now completely wasted. Honestly, it probably doesn't make that much of a difference at this point. But I was already bored with the game and this shit just disgusted me to the point where I really don't feel like finishing it. So I'm not.

Maybe I'll get around to it someday but doubtful.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The problem is that both companions have turned into suicidal imbeciles who instead of using their guns to shoot, use them as clubs. Not just sometimes. They literally charge every enemy and try to melee fight while armed with a gun
Ammo?

Saduj

Arcane

They don't have an inventory you can see and don't use ammo or any other consumables. Before they were completely broken, they would reload their weapons after the appropriate number of shots. Maybe the game "thinks" they have no ammo or can't reload for some reason.

You can upgrade companion armor, weapons and health once each using skill points they get when they level. And they have pretty good health regen. They would actually be OP but before they broke, but they had a knack for disappearing right before combat. Even if they are off MIA, you get their passive bonuses if they are on your team so that used to be the one reliable thing about them. Now they show up for combat but do everything they can to get killed quickly, wiping the bonuses.

For anyone who has played far enough, I was wondering if the game intends to rid you of your companions near the end game

Leaving the water treatment plant, a certain doorway has a firebomb (or maybe just the plant exploding?) that goes off the instant you clear it, killing anyone who is following you and engulfing them in fire so they can't be picked up. I didn't look too hard for a way to avoid this. I got around it by dismissing my companions before going through the doorway and then picking them back up at base. I hope there is a more legitimate way to avoid this.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
This one will probably have to be finished by big brain fans like a handful of Wesps, and will be a classic 5 to 10 years down the line.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So does anyone know when the next patch is coming out? I do really feel an itch to play some third person action rpg,and was dreaming of playing this.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
As we have mentioned in our previous update, the current release candidate has been tested by our QA department recently. And while we have a confirmation that the false SteamVR initiation bug is no longer a threat (we have used the actual VR set this time, whoa!), there are still a number of reported issues we would like to double-check before finally releasing v1.6 to the public. The next QA session is planned to start on August 26th which is the date when we expect to receive an updated build.

Other than that, we have lined up a list of 170 additional issues that are going to be addressed after v1.6 is released. These fixes should cover the remaining problems our community faced so far. Completing this version will be an important step towards Linux and Mac versions of the game along with any other possible additional content being released for INSOMNIA in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skdursh

Savant
Did this game ever get better? I've thought about getting it a few times, but when it came out most of the feedback seemed pretty negative with lots of people saying to "wait for patches". Did the patches make it worth a purchase?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom