Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

field of glory EMPIRES

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Rebellions is fucking me. Stack of 18 units with 2-2 general appeared on a map and took 6 of my top money provinces. 50 units cannot kill it...
This is SO retarded.
Trick is never being in a position to get rebellions. Which even on top difficulties isn't super painful.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
*chuckle*
index.php

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
So... what's the KKK on this game? I'm always hungry for some Grand Strategy, still bummed Age of Civilizations II turned to be such a simple game with borderline no post-launch dev support.
Its much better than Imperator but its not like, the savior of the genre.

I dunno man, I haven't played Imperator.

How good it is compared to, I dunno, Crusader Kings II or EUIV?
Maybe equal to EU4? Depending on what you are looking for? The resource and trade system is cool, buildings are pretty decent. The culture/decadence system is the key aspect.

Hoggypare

Savant
So... what's the KKK on this game? I'm always hungry for some Grand Strategy, still bummed Age of Civilizations II turned to be such a simple game with borderline no post-launch dev support.
Here's the thing - what actually constitutes 'grand' strategy? It is not complexity, as there is such a difference between what victoria and EU offers. So let's say grand strategies focus on depicting a historical period and on governing a country (or family, like in CK2), as opposed to simply 4x-ing the world.

In that matter it does quite well. It does prevent blobbing in a much more sensible way than PDX games actually (where things like casus belli and stability basically slowed down the process of blobification, but the endgame when You were already a blob was boring and completely devoid of challenge) and governing a big empire tends to be a bigger challenge, than a small compact country. It has seemingly 4x like building system, but they fit the spirit of the epoch and considering their effects, you have to make decisions what, where and if to build them, since the building tree is randomized. The trade and resource acquisition is top notch. The military system is better than what PDX has ever created, and You can export battles to FoG2. I also wrote a pretty extensive summary on this game on page 4, you can check that for more details (there are slight corrections, since last patches AI and diplomacy was much improved, albeit the second is still very much too simple).

Saying it is not the saviour of the genre is very cold, since it is implying like those games had some kind of golden age, long lost and gone. They used to be much better than now, but if You look at it, neither EU3 or EU4 vanilla were that good, older games like EU2 or HoI weren't all that deep. They were however decent and there was no alternative, so You took what You got and enjoyed it. There is still victoria, that is a really great game, but it has a lot of issues like awful combat. Now however, when PDX games truly turned into shit, if You compare FoG:E to older, decent PDX games, at a point when the did not get expansions or a line of DLC's yet, I would say it is completely comparable.

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

5 celtic rebels vs 30 dorcia warriors.
lose. 5 die.
Another 6 die afterwards.
also why the fuck celtic rebels even invade balkans.
Lost ~ 25 warriors dealing with them.
Don't leave border towns wikthout walls. Random rebels/independence will appear and take it...

Last edited by a moderator:

Morkar Left

It's great imho. Don't really understand atm how rebellions really work. But overall mechanics are almost flawless. Mechanic look simple at the start (Civ-like level) but behind the hood it's getting quite complex (or varied).

There is enough room that Empires could be expanded a lot with dlc but it's in no way necessary. Well rounded experience so far.

Best strategy game for me in years!

PrettyDeadman

Build a wall - one year.
Repel 5 celtic independants who took your region - decades.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Build a wall - one year.

the problem is the loyality drop in neighborung regions which can hace a cascading effect.

It's how this worked historically and why Romans were so keen on putting down revolts even in worthless s...holes like Judea. Speaking about Judea is this game allows to play as smaller state and become client kingdom of greater power? Would be interesting to play the game when you have option to bend the knee, work to satisfy both of your overlords and native population and then have option to raise up and stab oppressors in back when they are distracted by wars with other superpower, rebellion or civil war. From what I seen game looks interesting but I have iron rule of not buying strategies unless they are at least one year old, fully patched and with added all DLCs they lack at launch.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
5 celtic rebels vs 30 dorcia warriors.
lose. 5 die.
Another 6 die afterwards.
also why the fuck celtic rebels even invade balkans.
Lost ~ 25 warriors dealing with them.
Don't leave border towns wikthout walls. Random rebels/independence will appear and take it...

This sounds promising.

PrettyDeadman

To be honest, it starts to feel like playing a game of wokamole.
I am playing as Dacia on suicidal. Enemies are mostly very week, but It takes YEARS to go from one end of relatively small chiefdom to another. In that time some stupid CELTIC INDEPENDANT invades my kingdom and starts to take my provinces, while I moved to other end of empire in order to whack a retarded one province nation who were raiding my provinces all game and now decided to invade.

I recommend against playing on anything but hardest difficulty since there doesnt doesnt to be much of a difference.

PrettyDeadman

Build a wall - one year.

the problem is the loyality drop in neighborung regions which can hace a cascading effect.
Dont reaaly have loyalty problems during second playthrough. Small population 100 same nation, huge infrastructure and loyalty buildings.

PrettyDeadman

War with macedonia was BY FAR the worst wackamole which lasted like hundred years. Winning all the battle yet constantly drawining in trash and losing provinces. YUGE deathstack is useless, you bump their deathstack - and it just goes away without much losses while their smaller stacks crack you fortresses. And you get pounded by barbarian from other side of your empire. Jesus, this was terrible, but I guess I learned even more lessons about balanced army and amount of groups required to fight a war..
At some point during the war one of the provinces got flipped by neutrals. I looked at them and it says its army of one of the nations I previously defeated. Hope they don't decide to retake their lands while I fight macedonia...
Good thing Rome didnt decide to join it (yet).

The worst thing is that when you get enemy army pinned down deep inside your territory and have to babysit them so that they wont take half of your empire if you leave them alone..

PrettyDeadman

Started relatively strong as Darcia.
Early game is extremely easy. First - easily roll over neutral provinces, only limiting factor is decadence.
Plunged to decadent for a while while gaining big legacy boosts due to being decadent.
At the same time developed lands focusing primarily on infrastructure (since it allows you to build stuff easier), trying to keep population growth under control.
Only added food building which gave additional resources (like cattle or wool) because they give bonuses to other bulding.
Added some gold when I could.
After recieving 5 decadent tokens for some reason I reset to being stable tribal chiefdom again.
At this point I have ~2 20ish blobs of units made of special heavy infantry (mountaneers) and light cavalry (ranged).
Easily take nearest provinces.
At that time I become too sloppy with micromanaging towns and I guess they get too crowded. Blue bulding are mostly culture generating, to little loyalty.
Keep most of people on culture, but still some on food to add more slots for buldings (big mistake).
At this point macedonia starts a war with me. I combine my armies into yuge deathstack and easily win every battle, but due to my composition - almost all of their stack feels after battle.
I try to take their towns - but they are fortified and my composition cannot siege them very fast because I lack units with sieging factor (light infantry). At the same time they start sending smaller armies to my terriotories taking them one by one.
At that point I realize I need to split my armies and focus on defense. A stack of 10 of my troops can defend against 50 of theirs. It takes a long time to move them to positions so that they cant take any more of my lands.
Due to loss of lands I take a HUGE hit to decadence and money. I start rebuilding economy to produce troops for attack (mix of heavy/light infantry and cavalry).
It takes some time but I do it. I take all of my lands back and start taking their. It's pain in the ass since I need to do that while protecting all of my neighboring lands.
Operation is success, even their yuge 300 man doomstack can't do anything against my forces (it keeps bumping my 20 man army and loses) but when I reach 5 starts in decadency and split into 8 nations...

Mistakes which lead to demise are:
1) Wrong army positioning.
The game feels a lot like whack a mole. And there is one mole for each enemy province which neighboor you. So you need to have forces on whole perimiter of your border. Sending one doomstack won't win you the war since enemies will come from other places and take all of your provinces. They won't try to retake a province there your doomstack sits.
2) Wrong army composition. I learned that in order to win every battle you need a mix of heavy infantry and light cavalry (for ranged support). So my army was made exclusively of those units. It worked well against small nations which can't do anything about it and you have all the time you need. I did sit a lot on one province because it had fortifications but didn't change my forces.
When Macedonians came - I send my doomstack on one of their towns but didn't take it because I couldn't siege it. At the same time Macedonians took my lands in 1-2 turns per stacks and they send like 4 of those.

Due to those factors it took me too long to adapt to fighting Macedonia. I was distracted fighting Macedonia, defending against barbarians (which started attacking from other side of my nations) and fixing my economy (I got from 7000 and +600 gold to -6000 and -200 gold per turn) and stopped controling my population loyalty and decadence levels. First push of Macedonians into my territory and loosing of objective territories doomed me into becoming decadent. They started with 10k legacy at the start of the war and ended with 35000k.

Still, interesting game, will probably try another one with Dacia and focus on cleaning the land from Macedonia first with better enemy composition. Still it would be challenging since while you can rush and take all of their territories you might not be ready to take decadence hit. Yet if you wait and build up for that - macedonia will be yuge and you will need like 10 armies to protect your borders from them while 1 stack takes their territory.

Morkar Left

Weird, I swear I made a post here about it.

I've played Lusitania three times and Rome once for a bit.

One thing I noticed is that for weird little tribes in the middle of nowhere, the trick is to take over an entire province (AKA your first province) in order to max out your pooled region resources, build up a decent little military and then start specializing your regions - say, one culture-focused region, another focused on food, another focused on equipment, another focused on infraestructure, another focused on money, etc. Also, because provinces give provincial units.

Btw, until they patch up diplomacy, you guys should totally enable the possibility of abandoning every single province and getting no penalties for it. Here's how you do it:

1. Open the files Region.bsf and Faction.bsf on the Data/scripts subfolder using any text-editing program.

2. How to abandon any region (even your capital):

Disable lines 7590 to 7597. Here's how it looks like on mine:

FUNCTION Region_CanBeAbandoned(regionID)
{
return TRUE
}

3. No penalty for abandoning province

Edit faction.bsf in the line 4085. Comment it out like this:

//Faction_Government_ChgAge(ownerID, Region_Population_Count(regionID)); // Penalty

There, now you can just take useless shit enemy provinces and abandon them to fuck the enemy up.

yeah the penalty is weird. THanks for the hint. Will try!

Btw. at the moment I play as Nubia. Shit is good. My worst enemy is now Rome. Their legions are a tough nut to crack for sure...

Hi

I'm a retard

I realized just TODAY that citizen assignment is a thing! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Go ahead, if you knew about it, call me a retard just this once. I deserve it.

Imagine being a hundred turns in on a game and realizing that the reason my province pretty much produced only food and I always more slots than what I knew what to do with them, is because my lands were literal Arcadias devoted to agriculture urrrggh. And here I was wondering why I had so many buildings for infra yet felt my infra production simply wans't enough.

Ok, so what I said about specialization is still true. You just gotta allocate the citizenry right to reap immense profits in all resources. Specialization is still very very important.

Btw... is it better to make infra-focused and Equipment only provinces, or Infra + Military focus? Because both Industry and Military production share the same citizens. But they compete for slots.

Morkar Left

Hi
Btw... is it better to make infra-focused and Equipment only provinces, or Infra + Military focus? Because both Industry and Military production share the same citizens. But they compete for slots.

Infrastructure is to quickly build buildings and equipment is to quickly gather troops. As long as you have enough equipment in onw territory/province it only takes one turn to recruit an unit / several units.

Im in turn 404 and so far I haven't really spaecialized provinces. I just built in a city what seemed like a good idea e.g. if there are several ressources for trading in that region I built trading focused buildingds etc.

Still decadence is slowly strangeling me and I avoid decadence buildings as much as possible. Not sure if decadence is a bit too strong in regards to balance. Still haven't really figured out how rebellions work. In one year my loyalty in a region is at 90 and in the next it drops almost down to zero. And I can't even pinpoint an event to it. Sometimes they are back to normal in one turn too. Very confusing...

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Hi

I'm a retard

I realized just TODAY that citizen assignment is a thing! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Go ahead, if you knew about it, call me a retard just this once. I deserve it.

Imagine being a hundred turns in on a game and realizing that the reason my province pretty much produced only food and I always more slots than what I knew what to do with them, is because my lands were literal Arcadias devoted to agriculture urrrggh. And here I was wondering why I had so many buildings for infra yet felt my infra production simply wans't enough.

Ok, so what I said about specialization is still true. You just gotta allocate the citizenry right to reap immense profits in all resources. Specialization is still very very important.

What? Military doesn't depend on citizens.

Also are you aware that slaves do pink and green and citizens do purple and yellow? Sometimes you might put citizens on pink and green but never the other way around.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Hi

Infrastructure is to quickly build buildings and equipment is to quickly gather troops. As long as you have enough equipment in onw territory/province it only takes one turn to recruit an unit / several units.

Im in turn 404 and so far I haven't really spaecialized provinces. I just built in a city what seemed like a good idea e.g. if there are several ressources for trading in that region I built trading focused buildingds etc.

Still decadence is slowly strangeling me and I avoid decadence buildings as much as possible. Not sure if decadence is a bit too strong in regards to balance. Still haven't really figured out how rebellions work. In one year my loyalty in a region is at 90 and in the next it drops almost down to zero. And I can't even pinpoint an event to it. Sometimes they are back to normal in one turn too. Very confusing...

What? How are you at turn 400 and you haven't won? Probably cause you don't specialize. Did you at least take a shitty minor barbarian nation? That might help a bit in not winning on turn 400.

Morkar Left

Hi

What? How are you at turn 400 and you haven't won? Probably cause you don't specialize. Did you at least take a shitty minor barbarian nation? That might help a bit in not winning on turn 400.

I play currently as Nubia. I'm leading in legacy for Rome already on pole position. If there doesn't happen something unexpected I have won. Specialising wouldn't really have helped imho. Decadence is the main limiting factor for me by now. It wasn't a problem at all till turn 350 or so but started to get out of control by messing around with Rome and taking territories.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom