Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory Gameplay Preview at Rock Paper Shotgun

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Black Shamrock; Cyanide Studio; Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory

Rock Paper Shotgun uploaded a 28 minute video preview of Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory to their YouTube channel a few days ago. Unlike the IGN gameplay video from June, this time whoever was playing took his time, offering us a chance to actually read the dialogue and observe some of the game's less obvious mechanics. In this mission, Friend Computer tasks the player's team with hunting down a secret society of traitorous vending machine worshippers. It seems to be a bit more varied than the mission we saw in June. Rock Paper Shotgun's previewer narrates the video and points out interesting aspects, such as the damage immunity system determined by the player's color clearance level, various points in the mission where there are multiple solutions to obstacles the team encounters, a loot-stealing cleanup droid that the player can attempt to outrun during combat, and the many ways that the player can find himself being accused of treason.

There were a couple of text-based previews of Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory published recently as well, at Den of Geek and Hardcore Gamer. Oddly, both Rock Paper Shotgun and Den of Geek claim that the game will be out in October, the latter even specifically saying October 3rd, but this has yet to be formally announced by the developers. They're going to be at Gamescom this week, so I guess it'll happen then.

Gord

Arcane
I've long stopped paying too much attention to pre-release footage & previews, but the unusual setting makes it at least potentially interesting.

Max Edge

Why now everything look like Tumblr?

Tabletop even in 2004 had better art style:
_bn20299.jpg

spectre

Arcane
The combat looks fucking mind-numbing. It reminds me of Satellite Reign, and it's not a good memory.
I quickly began scrolling past the gunfights to get to the dialogues and interaction, which seem to be the only decent parts.

Max Edge

That cover artwork appears to be by Jim Holloway, who was a prolific artist at TSR in the 1980s and was also the original artist for Paranoia. +M

tumblr_p093s9qQOg1wb3uelo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ouqlbhg9HQ1ro2bqto1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ouqmbbUGob1ro2bqto1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ohf2e3xRhQ1ro2bqto1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pk7azoQq9c1ro2bqto1_500.jpg

tumblr_obp58hjRf91ro2bqto1_500.jpg

The developers of the computer game should have involved Jim Holloway, at least for concept art.

I have theory.

Jim Holloway represent old nerddom - rough, ironic and neckbearded.

Nu-nerdom is soft, quirky and Tumbrl.

Just check how official D&D has changed by 9 years.

From this:

To this:

All this tabletop or video games industry have now different base customer.

Deleted Member 22431

I have theory.

Jim Holloway represent old nerddom - rough, ironic and neckbearded.

Nu-nerdom is soft, quirky and Tumbrl.

Oh, no! Nerddom was one of the few remaining bastions against decline and now they are doomed! Low-T nerds on soy that have nothing in common with old-school nerds.

:negative:

Skdursh

Savant
RPS is pathetic trash for self-loathing idiots, but I am genuinely excited for a game based on Paranoia. I've often thought that it would be an excellent setting for a game so long as the tone was preserved and it wasn't done by an incompetent development team. I can only hope that this meets me expectations or is at least good enough/sells enough to provoke interest for better titles in the Paranoia universe in the future.

Robert Erick

Educated
Looks nothing like the Paranoia I knew and played over a decade ago. Suppose I should be happy that a video game about it is being made, but for some reason I just can't summon the effort to be excited about it.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Because visual part is important in videogames?
Wel, it's important in tabletops too, because it crates style and atmosphere, and videogame just exist in visual form, so without good visual part it it may act as strong disctracting/irritating part.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I prefer TB myself, but if your game is good (KotOR, NwN, BG, Planescape) RTwP is a non-issue.

If your game sucks (Pillars) it's not because of RTwP.

aris

Arcane
Looks indistinguishable in a sea of colorful isometric RPGs and XCOM-likes
And you also looks indistinguishable in the sea of try-hard codexers who all compete to outedge the other, and shit on the newest games the hardest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom