Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Then program it into the game.
Isn't that usually just replacing japanese text with english in the game files? It worked that way when I tried translating games from english to my language, or modded games. Text was usually separate from source code, in assets, and changing it was as simple as just deleting the original line and writing the translation there.

I'm not tech savvy in any sense of the word, but the most common issue are character and memory limits when it comes to JP->ENG translations.
Most typical issue being that name fields only allow for something like 8 characters, which works out fine with kanji, but is next to nothing in English. Hence why demon types sound so unintuitive in SMT, character limit resulted to "bird of ill omen" to be changed to "raptor".
Then there is memory fuckery. The guy doing the hacking for Sengoku talked about it a bit in 4chan. The game had a bug where it seemed to always crash after you played for a while. Turns out that it purged some values in the memory after their allocated spaces filled, which of course happens faster with latin letters since they hold less information in the symbolic sense compared to kanji.

KingDoofus

Scholar
Yeah, replacing text can be really simple or a huge headache depending on how the engine handles it. Sometimes it's as simple as just putting in new letters and watching the game display them. Other times it's watching the text display incorrectly, in the wrong size, in the wrong font, in the wrong alignment, or just straight up crashing the game. Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst.

KingDoofus

Scholar
I think they have previously said they intentionally delay and stagger releases, because they think the market is small and they don't want to risk flooding it. Not sure how likely that is, but they might have seen some flooding tendency in their sales.

They definitely do stagger their sales and it is because of sales trends they've seen in the past. However, 90%+ of that has been in games that are strictly visual novels. They've been releasing Alicesoft games for a year or two now but it's still slightly uncharted territory for them - games that resemble actual games. I get the sense they're aware buying patterns may be different but hesitant to stray too far from what they know.

Martyr

Arcane
MangaGamer is supposedly about quarter done with Rance X. Then again, they've been "100% done" with Sengoku like a year ago, and it's still not out, so I'd take their estimate with a heavy dosage of salt.

why the fuck did they pull the Rance 5D & Rance 6 bundle from their website? it could be purchased previously on MangaGamer, but not anymore. that's the case since maybe 3 days.

Jason Liang

Arcane
https://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/projectbook/190801a

Interview with TADA. Quite long and detailed. Hopefully someone will translate it
Oh. In the picture he actually does look kind of like a hanny.

They chose a Daiakuji screenshot for the center of the picture montage representing Alicesoft? Isn't Daiakuji... really infamous, even in Japan? Like all the other screenshots make sense if you want to evoke the history of Alicesoft games in 6-7 pictures...

That's all I've got since I can't really read Japanese.

Codex should try to interview TADA too. I live pretty close to Japan but I can't speak Japanese:(

Last edited:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
Daiakuji sold well so they are probably pretty proud about it. And the loli aunt was a damn popular character for a long while, hence the Rance VI cameo (that wasn't patched in for the MangaGamer version for god knows why).
Daiteikoku is the one that was stuck in development hell and ended up shit in terms of quality and sales.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
MangaGamer is supposedly about quarter done with Rance X. Then again, they've been "100% done" with Sengoku like a year ago, and it's still not out, so I'd take their estimate with a heavy dosage of salt.

why the fuck did they pull the Rance 5D & Rance 6 bundle from their website? it could be purchased previously on MangaGamer, but not anymore. that's the case since maybe 3 days.

Payment processor issues?

thesecret1

Arcane
I wonder, is there anyone who actually liked the mechanics of 5D? It was one of the weirdest games I ever played, from the design perspective. The most RNG-dependent RPG out there for sure

Jason Liang

Arcane
I wonder, is there anyone who actually liked the mechanics of 5D? It was one of the weirdest games I ever played, from the design perspective. The most RNG-dependent RPG out there for sure
I dig it
5D has crazy easter eggs
Only bad part is poor encounter design

It's also an homage to the predecessor of RPGs, adventure games like Zork or Infocom games.

thesecret1

Arcane
I dig it
5D has crazy easter eggs
Only bad part is poor encounter design
Oh, the writing and easter eggs and similar were great, I'm talking about the combat and the RNG-defined encounters.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
5D was supposed to be a big RPG that was stuck in development hell, the D comes from the fact that it went through three revisions.
After they pulled the plug from 5C Tada just wanted to do a short, dumb game where everything is decided by luck.

Jason Liang

Arcane
The combat is a fresh concept. I think it made the combat too easy but it does give it a unique tactical element that allows you to make battle plans while still having a luck element. It is an interesting compromise between luck-based and pure strategy.

i now divide the Rance games between the short, light adventures (01, 02, 5D) and the epic adventures (03, KR, VI, SR, RQ, IX, X)

Last edited:

KingDoofus

Scholar
I enjoy 5D as a palate cleanser, a distraction game to play in short bursts. I wouldn't want to play it for extended sessions but an hour or less and I enjoyed it. I think releasing it with 6 was great - 6 is a long game and you could take a break with 5D for a little bit.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron

Sengoku' scheduled release is on the 12th.
BUT there is a caveat with them having their payment processing system being borked for over a month now.
Also they are planning to release 01 and 02 in a bundle. Former has already been translated.

Martyr

Arcane

Sengoku' scheduled release is on the 12th.
BUT there is a caveat with them having their payment processing system being borked for over a month now.
Also they are planning to release 01 and 02 in a bundle. Former has already been translated.

they've also erased the Rance 5D & 6 store page, as well as the entire RPG section of their website earlier in August. I wonder why they did that.

Rodcocker

Arbiter
I don't want to put people off MangaGamer - as they are the heroes bringing Rance to the west. But I got my credit card blocked for fraud several days after making a purchase from them - somebody on the other side of the planet tried to make a purchase. They don't have a payment processor days before a big release? Their whole operation is a shambles.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I don't want to put people off MangaGamer - as they are the heroes bringing Rance to the west. But I got my credit card blocked for fraud several days after making a purchase from them - somebody on the other side of the planet tried to make a purchase. They don't have a payment processor days before a big release? Their whole operation is a shambles.

They are kind of fucked.

Payment processors are deplatforming everything left and right (mostly right). Plus MG probably has to deal with a lot of chargebacks etc. just due to nature of the product that they sell.

Jason Liang

Arcane
sample_7a11e9c69598e1125171b49c4e684d22c0db646a.jpg

Quelplan

sample_22974e7bd19a39cb890ddee1cb68340801191f65.jpg

sample_4f9ca5750b72016af77a87011705bead8e8e03a4.jpg

a42e961164357238bc480baa4d8419dd06ad3911.jpg
93f0979b4d3671711ab9cffbf7b06166055e5236.png
63e0dcacbfcf99b179d40f3bf4ae938c2685c810.png

sample_fab83cad574c0b2b324865a8ccd5b150559bb01a.jpg

b7c362f0b9e90cdad3a16503725a184cb9711fe5.jpg

sample_10c0bc59ddd6c16d0f115c333a427983580a2b42.jpg

c3bda48855af991f4bed7fa6a5b95791b2eaaf3a.jpg

9cd5fb3b2dad27f41378f792da93e6a9088549da.jpg

sample_a29a6e2ede3f2676b1a674d4c4de944640e805c4.jpg

816621d66d3b96bcc89376513f5356c8ab22475c.jpg

Last edited:

Martyr

Arcane
payment only via credit card, when in the past PayPal was an option :abyssgazer:
fuck these incompetent hacks.

edit: the suggested way of buying MG points via PayPal and then purchasing the game using these points, worked.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
payment only via credit card, when in the past PayPal was an option
fuck these incompetent hacks.

PayPal Acceptable Use Policy

Prohibited Activities, section two
relate to transactions involving (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety, (b) drug paraphernalia, (c) cigarettes, (d) items that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity, (e) stolen goods including digital and virtual goods, (f) the promotion of hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory or the financial exploitation of a crime, (g) items that are considered obscene, (h) items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction, (i) certain sexually oriented materials or services, (j) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (k) certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law.

Now pray tell how is this their incompetence? :roll:

If credit card really isn't an option for you, I'd recommend contacting the customer service. In past at least there were other solutions to those problems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom