Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wonder Boy The Dragon's Trap and Monster Boy

Repressed Homosexual
I haven't seen any thread about this so far. I'm really addicted to these games and anyone who enjoys Metroidvanias really needs to check them out. The former is a remake of Wonder Boy III on the Sega Master System and is truly a labor of love that has aged extremely well with beautiful 2D graphics that look absolutely gorgeous (and were all drawn and animated by one man, their artist) and a pleasant orchestral soundtrack. The game came out in 1989 and it was genius and considerably in advantage upon its time It's something that you will feel compelled to replay periodically, over and over again. Here is a presentation of the game with the developers:

Monster Boy is a sequel from the same franchise without using the name Wonder Boy because they couldn't get the rights from Sega. It follows the same formula, in that you can eventually transform into various monsters and need their specific abilities to progress through parts of the game. There is a little bit of dialogue and even quests, which I don't like that much because they slow down the leisurely pace of the game with tedium, but there is an even greater variety of what to do and I still love it to bits. It is a trillion times better than any "indie" shit.

I shed tears when I heard the updated beach theme from Wonder Boy III. I really love that music, in my opinion it perfectly conveys the sense of excitement, wonderment, lighthearted, carefree fun and adventure that videogames should be all about:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i can never get the order of these games right. it's such a clusterfuck of titles between Monster Boy, Wonder Boy and Adventure Island.

anyway yeah, i'm interested in dis shit. For the people who've played the recent one, Monster Boy And The Cursed Kingdom, how does it compare to the Dragon's Trap remake? Unlike Dragon's Trap remake, Cursed Kingdom is (i think) a totally original and new game in the series? Also it was made by different devs, right?

Repressed Homosexual
i can never get the order of these games right. it's such a clusterfuck of titles between Monster Boy, Wonder Boy and Adventure Island.

anyway yeah, i'm interested in dis shit. For the people who've played the recent one, Monster Boy And The Cursed Kingdom, how does it compare to the Dragon's Trap remake? Unlike Dragon's Trap remake, Cursed Kingdom is (i think) a totally original and new game in the series? Also it was made by different devs, right?

It's similar but it has a little more clutter, but nevertheless more variety in the stuff you can do. Very much worthwhile.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
>Implying that shitty high res flash graphics take more skill than detailed pixel art.

Codex needs a graphics whore button.

Resolution has nothing to do with quality of art. I've seen fucking ASCII that looks good.

Repressed Homosexual
>Implying that shitty high res flash graphics take more skill than detailed pixel art.

Codex needs a graphics whore button.

Resolution has nothing to do with quality of art. I've seen fucking ASCII that looks good.

Shitty high res flash graphics. Have you actually played the game? I have, it is absolutely glorious, cartoon quality.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
so it's the source inspiration for shantae? considering the age of the original one. if i don't know better, i would think it as shantae ripoff. game looks great tho

Damned Registrations

Indie games always have something off about them.
You literally just said an indie game had glorious artwork. There's more ugly indie games than ugly AAA games because there's more indie games than AAA games. Doesn't mean you won't get utter shit like Oblivion or high quality retro games.

I'd take the laziest RPG maker shovelware over the hideous mobile-ported crap Squeenix has shat out over the last few years any day. Nevermind all the good looking stuff like Stardew, Cave Story, Spelunky, CrossCode, Shovel Knight and so forth.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
what's the best high-res actual 2d sprite art that you can guys can think of?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
what's the best high-res actual 2d sprite art that you can guys can think of?
guilty gear xrd? if fighting games count

stuff like banner saga / ash of gods looks wonderful too.

if it's platformer like, then rayman legends/ rayman origins. i forgot if ori and the blind forest is 2D or 3D but that looks amazing. hollow knight looks simple, but great too.

Damned Registrations

Legend of Mana perhaps? It's got some 3d crap here and there but by and large...

JLKXFUG.png

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

But in Adventure Island you can play as Master Higgins from Magnum P.I.
1kz5by.jpg

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
there was a recent cashgrab "HD remaster" of original wonder boy, i imagine to cash in on the slight popularity uptick of the series with the recent two game releases.

It's the complete opposite of the two recent wonder boy/monster boy releases; cheap looking as all hell. They didn't even include the option of playing with original sprites, heh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom