Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Vatnik Wumao
Well, I finished the main story at least, still got a lot of substories and stuff but I'm strapped for time so I couldn't focus 'too' much on side stuff (Though I did get like 20 of each protag's substories and the first districts of each business done). Impressions follow

Was kinda miffed that we fought Kuze no less than 5 times but never got a chance to kick Sagawa's ass. Glad the ending was happier than I thought it would turn out, I figured Makoto was going to be killed especially since, IIRC, she's not mentioned in later entries. I know Majima's oath brother comes to prominence later in the series because he's supposed to be one of the playable characters in Yakuza 5; least I recognize the name from the same place where I heard Y5 has 5 whole cities/protags to mess with. Otherwise, I was pretty much expecting a lot of the characters in this game to disappear, from prior experience with the series. Still, some of the twists were pretty well done and not entirely predictable even going in as a series 'vet', I guess.
I'm still not entirely convinced that the Majima in this game is the same Majima from 1 and 2, but I guess his grief at having to leave Makoto behind to prevent her from being dragged into the underworld any further and the influence of Sagawa, Nishitani, and Awano led to him becoming the way he is. I was also expecting Majima and Kiryu to meet during the main storyline as well, if I recall correctly in the original Yakuza it's fairly heavily implied that Majima already knew Kiryu before the events of that game well enough to respect him, and he also seemed like a killer whereas he never crosses that line in 0. He's also far more unhinged in the original...but, I guess the remakes probably fix that discrepancy by highlighting more of his character arc in the...what is it, 15-16 years between 0 and 1? 0 is like, late 80s, right?
also thought that the western releases always missing out on the hostess dialogues, at least in the entries I've played besides 0, wasn't anything to get too disappointed about. But running the cabaret club has changed my opinion; they're small and inconsequential but I did find myself enjoying the special training sessions with the platinum hostesses I've recruited so far.

anyways can't wait to get to Kiwami, but it's gonna be a bit. Work is about to take up a lot of my time and I also want to finish the side stuff in 0. But, as an aside, has anyone actually gone through and played Y6? I've heard things about pretty much every entry except that one, which flew under my radar completely. Did it turn out good? I just have this nagging feeling like, because it's 6th in the series it likely follows the trend of practically any other long running series where the narrative/gameplay quality declines significantly from the original entries. But it IS Ryu ga Gotoku, so maybe it defied that.

The impression I got was that leaving Makoto behind was only the start of Majima's problems. Majima only really snapped after his unhappy marriage when his wife aborted their child without telling him about it. He went full wife beater and thrashed his ex-wife within an inch of her life. All the disappointment in his life turned him into the mad dog.

mogwaimon

Magister
Well, I finished the main story at least, still got a lot of substories and stuff but I'm strapped for time so I couldn't focus 'too' much on side stuff (Though I did get like 20 of each protag's substories and the first districts of each business done). Impressions follow

Was kinda miffed that we fought Kuze no less than 5 times but never got a chance to kick Sagawa's ass. Glad the ending was happier than I thought it would turn out, I figured Makoto was going to be killed especially since, IIRC, she's not mentioned in later entries. I know Majima's oath brother comes to prominence later in the series because he's supposed to be one of the playable characters in Yakuza 5; least I recognize the name from the same place where I heard Y5 has 5 whole cities/protags to mess with. Otherwise, I was pretty much expecting a lot of the characters in this game to disappear, from prior experience with the series. Still, some of the twists were pretty well done and not entirely predictable even going in as a series 'vet', I guess.
I'm still not entirely convinced that the Majima in this game is the same Majima from 1 and 2, but I guess his grief at having to leave Makoto behind to prevent her from being dragged into the underworld any further and the influence of Sagawa, Nishitani, and Awano led to him becoming the way he is. I was also expecting Majima and Kiryu to meet during the main storyline as well, if I recall correctly in the original Yakuza it's fairly heavily implied that Majima already knew Kiryu before the events of that game well enough to respect him, and he also seemed like a killer whereas he never crosses that line in 0. He's also far more unhinged in the original...but, I guess the remakes probably fix that discrepancy by highlighting more of his character arc in the...what is it, 15-16 years between 0 and 1? 0 is like, late 80s, right?
also thought that the western releases always missing out on the hostess dialogues, at least in the entries I've played besides 0, wasn't anything to get too disappointed about. But running the cabaret club has changed my opinion; they're small and inconsequential but I did find myself enjoying the special training sessions with the platinum hostesses I've recruited so far.

anyways can't wait to get to Kiwami, but it's gonna be a bit. Work is about to take up a lot of my time and I also want to finish the side stuff in 0. But, as an aside, has anyone actually gone through and played Y6? I've heard things about pretty much every entry except that one, which flew under my radar completely. Did it turn out good? I just have this nagging feeling like, because it's 6th in the series it likely follows the trend of practically any other long running series where the narrative/gameplay quality declines significantly from the original entries. But it IS Ryu ga Gotoku, so maybe it defied that.

The impression I got was that leaving Makoto behind was only the start of Majima's problems. Majima only really snapped after his unhappy marriage when his wife aborted their child without telling him about it. He went full wife beater and thrashed his ex-wife within an inch of her life. All the disappointment in his life turned him into the mad dog.

That's information I wasn't working with because as I mentioned earlier in the thread I haven't actually played Yakuza 4, 5, or 6. I had no clue what the hell you were talking about and thought you were rambling until I went to a wiki and confirmed that Majima even had a wife. Thanks for the spoilers, man

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
All Y0 fags are not real fans, only noob casuls.

It comes more down to whether you should play a prequel if it was released after the main material without playing said material first. Something like that is clearly aimed at existing fans who will be interested to see the origins of their favorite characters and how different they possibly were back then. I've seen a lot of people ending up disappointed by how different Majima is going from Y0 to Kiwami because former was their introduction to the character, for example.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Everytime...
2rzw5tx.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I believe Nagoshi said that 3-5 don't really need a Kiwami treatment in his opinion because the jump in technology hasn't been nearly as significant, like it has been in the time since 1 and 2 released.

mogwaimon

Magister
Honestly as long as we get all the cut content from the PS3 release here in the west and a proper PC port, it may as well be a Kiwami version for us. The jump from Y1 and 2 PS2 graphics to even Y3 is humongous, while from Y3- the engine used in 0 isn't that much, really. I haven't seen the Dragon Engine in action yet though, so maybe that's a bit more of a drastic leap.

Vatnik Wumao
The dragon engine looks great but it also changes the feel of the game a fair bit, particularly combat. I didn't play Y6, but in Kiwami 2 the combat feels less fluid and clumsier compared to Kiwami 1. Apparently this is because the dragon engine takes into account physics during combat? That's the explanation that keeps coming up for the change.

Jinn

Arcane
The fluidity and variety of combat in the Dragon Engine is unlocked through character progression. The more you level up and learn new heat actions, techniques, counters, etc., the more fluid everything begins to feel. I'd say Kiwami 2 starts feeling more similar to 0 and Kiwami's combat about 1/3 of the way in, depending of course how you choose to progress your character. I like this approach, but I think that slow start negatively sticks with a lot of people.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Personally I felt that the Dragon Engine combat feels a lot more smooth and responsive than combat of 0, and to me it feels like it has more even functionality for your moves. I'm also more partial to the way the Dragon Engine games so far have handled Heat bar and build-up.

Modron

Arcane
I found it to be the exact opposite, limited move set in Yakuza Kiwami 2 made it feel far less nuanced and less functional to me. I am willing to chalk this up to growing pains but I do hope going forward there are more combos, heat actions/counters, and generally a similar amount of circumstances in which said heat actions can be initiated as in Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1.

Readher

Savant
RGG Studio scheduled to make an appearance on Sega's Gamescom stream tomorrow. Announcement inc.
ECaFS3sXsAICQif

Also, keep in mind that a very accurate leaker said we're going to see something about Shin Sakura Taisen and it's not in the schedule, so it's safe to assume Sega has a few surprises in their sleeves. Sega is also scheduled to appear twice on IGN's Live Show which is separate from Sega's own stream: today at 6.30 pm and tomorrow at 7 pm (CEST time).

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Incoming Remastered Collection on PC in several months! Just speculation, but it seems pretty safe to say at this point.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Looking forward to finally playing 5 with a stable framerate and no freezing during some Heat moves but I still want FotNS to come to PC already
:negative:

Readher

Savant
Takes 6 months to localize a game, then another 6 months to port it to PC and another 6 months to patch it.

This is your brain on Sega. Meanwhile Bamco releases their licensed anime kusoge worldwide on PS4, PC and XOne simultaneously. Hell, even Idea Factory localizes and ports faster than Sega does and Yakuza is literally one of their flagship series.

Aqualung

Dead duck
Patron
Insert Title Here
They are not sure if the setting would appeal to the Western audience...

Pffff, that's just "howaito piggu and dancing monkey don't understand a shit about grorious country" bullshit.

Everybody loves the Bakumatsu period.

Reinhardt

Arcane
For some reason i thought Leisure King wants to dance so i've trained in disco for a hour before hitting 60% mark. I remembered wrong - he wants to sing...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom