Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is there a single sandbox party-based D&D game out there?

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I just want to create a party from scratch, dive straight into procedurally generated dungeons, die horribly, repeat. No plot needed.

Basically looking for something like Low Magic Age, only a game, not a game engine. LMA has great potential and all, but I'm gonna die of old age before the developer makes it playable.

Not even asking for a standalone game. Any mod for NVN or other D&D game will do, as long as it allows to make your own party and creates random world/dungeons to keep things fresh.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I just want to create a party from scratch, dive straight into procedurally generated dungeons, die horribly, repeat. No plot needed.

Basically looking for something like Low Magic Age, only a game, not a game engine. LMA has great potential and all, but I'm gonna die of old age before the developer makes it playable.

Not even asking for a standalone game. Any mod for NVN or other D&D game will do, as long as it allows to make your own party and creates random world/dungeons to keep things fresh.
Darkest Dungeon?

Anything else sounds too popamole.

You don't want your characters to live long enough to reach level 5, yes?

Otherwise, for non-turnbased, why not try a MMO like Path of Exile? You will die horribly and repeat. No plot needed.

Last edited:

Parsifarka

Arcane
220px-Forgotten_Realms_-_Unlimited_Adventures_Coverart.png

The Red Knight

Erudite
make your own party and creates random world/dungeons to keep things fresh.
Endless Depths for NWN2, but you'd have to be really desperate to play it as it's an ugly monotonous maze with useless minimap and hacky walls that opponents detect you through and NWN's pathfinding wasn't meant for. Creating a full party also takes time, as you have to individually start the module to create each party member, register them as companions and finally add everyone through the party composition menu (button in the bottom-left corner of the UI). It does work with those mods that add loads of races and classes, though.
VfLMLS9.jpg

Darth Canoli

Arcane
D&D
You should try iceblink modules, Hearkenwold amongst them (link in the workshop sub-forum), not procedurally generated but it's good and there's many games already.

Low Magic Age is exactly what you're looking for, still in early access but probably close to release now.

Not D&D
Not D&D but Battle Brothers does exactly that with a very good tactical combat system.
Terrible economic system though but you can play with the settings and there's a looooot of mods, even a legendary one.

Urtuk is in development but it also does that (not D&D but very good tactical combat)

Skdursh

Savant
Infinite Dungeons for Neverwinter Nights. Procedural dungeons, procedural quests, floor based difficulty, allows you to tailor the experience to your tastes. It's RTwP, but it's fairly effective at what it set out to do. Not my thing, but it sounds like you might like it.

Mortmal

Arcane
A sandbox D&d game with a sentient IA, creating adventures tailored for your party, nope , not yet... However forgotten realms unlimited adventure is your best bet, and go there http://frua.rosedragon.org/modulelist/file.php Lot of very excellent adventures there especially those from http://therealm.flopsyville.com/journ.html . He did an excellent job converting BECMI modules in ADD2E and improved upon them.I especially love what he did with B4 the lost city. This require UASHELL to run.

Ventidius

Arbiter
There are already games like Low Magic Age, such as the Gold Box games and Knights of the Chalice. The main difference is that the latter actually have fleshed out campaigns with handcrafted dungeons and encounters, plus some random encounters also thrown in, of course. Apart from that, they also had better implementations of their rulesets (no cooldowns, for example.)

There are lots of games that 1) use a D&D or D&D-like ruleset 2) have full-party control and creation, and 3) mostly consist of dungeon crawling. An example of this are Wizardry 1-5 and their Japanese clones (they use different iterations of a homebrew version of early D&D.)

The thing is, these kind of games do not usually procedurally generate their dungeon content, instead you get large amounts of handcrafted dungeon content, which IMO tends to be superior in design elegance and complexity (e.g. the way that areas are interconnected, trap and encounter placement, layout themes, challenge etc.) You should also not have a problem with running out of content (due to the quantity of dungeons) or replayability (due to the complexity of the combat, party-building, and dungeons.)

The only reason LMA relied so much on procedural generation is because, as you pointed out, it is little more than an engine. So if you are willing to forego this requirement, I would recommend:

-The Gold Box games, starting with Champions of Krynn, for a better interface than PoR.

-Knights of the Chalice.

-Wizardry 1 and Wizardry 5. The SNES and PS1 versions look good and have decent interfaces.

-Elminage Original, Elminage Gothic, Stranger of Sword City, and The Dark Spire are all recent Japanese Wiz-likes that are worthy successors to Wiz 1-5, if you want something more modern-looking. Note that Elminage Gothic is very punishing for beginners to this sort of game, so you might want to try one of the others first if you don't already have experience with Wiz-likes.

-Icewind Dale and TOEE have similar design to what we have been discussing, but in isometric form.

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Pathfinder: Kingmaker has a roguelike mode where you create a party and explore a dungeon

It won't run on my potato, sadly.

Low Magic Age is exactly what you're looking for, still in early access but probably close to release now.

You didn't read my actual post, did ya?

You should also not have a problem with running out of content (due to the quantity of dungeons) or replayability (due to the complexity of the combat, party-building, and dungeons.)

Hand-crafted dungeons are good for a single playthrough. After that you're done. Replaying the same game, with same plot, going through the same locations, fighting the same mobs, while telling yourself "at least my party is different, such replayability" seems a bit autistic to me.

If Icewind Dale had an alternative game mod offering procedurally generated dungeons and quests, I wouldn't bother making this thread. I know it's unlikely to happen in Infinity Engine, but then again - the devs could implement "module"-based dungeon generation, like in Daggerfall.

-The Gold Box games, starting with Champions of Krynn, for a better interface than PoR.
-Knights of the Chalice.
-Wizardry 1 and Wizardry 5. The SNES and PS1 versions look good and have decent interfaces.
-Elminage Original, Elminage Gothic, and Stranger of Sword City are worthy successors to Wiz 1-5, if you want something more modern-looking. Note that Elminage Gothic is very punishing for beginners to this sort of game, so you might want to try the other two first.
-Icewind Dale and TOEE have similar design to what we have been discussing, but in isometric form.

I played all those games, naturally. Except for Elminage series. I want to play with DnD char progression specifically, preferably using 2nd or 3rd/3.5 edition.

However forgotten realms unlimited adventure is your best bet, and go there http://frua.rosedragon.org/modulelist/file.php Lot of very excellent adventures there especially those from http://therealm.flopsyville.com/journ.html . He did an excellent job converting BECMI modules in ADD2E and improved upon them.I especially love what he did with B4 the lost city. This require UASHELL to run.

Looks like my best bet indeed. Much gratitude.

Skdursh

Savant
A sandbox D&d game with a sentient IA, creating adventures tailored for your party, nope , not yet... However forgotten realms unlimited adventure is your best bet, and go there http://frua.rosedragon.org/modulelist/file.php Lot of very excellent adventures there especially those from http://therealm.flopsyville.com/journ.html . He did an excellent job converting BECMI modules in ADD2E and improved upon them.I especially love what he did with B4 the lost city. This require UASHELL to run.

My post directly before yours literally lists a (mod) that does exactly that. Infinite Dungeons has procedural generation, procedural quests, combat and puzzles tailored to your party and customization options where you can decide what you'd like to experience in the dungeon before entering.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Play Ruins of Myth Drannor. Dungeons and monsters looks same so you can just pretend it's randomly generated.

Jeru

Novice
D&D with procedurally generated combat fest does not compute well. D&D was created with hand-made adventures in mind.

So allowing yourself to look outside of D&D will provide better results.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Replaying the same game, with same plot, going through the same locations, fighting the same mobs, while telling yourself "at least my party is different, such replayability" seems a bit autistic to me.

Proud autist reporting in.

RPGs are to be studied and mastered.

Meta-gamers and power-gamers are the best kind. I don't want to talk to anyone else, really.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The walkmesh is awful in KotB. Also, it's nothing like what OP asked for. It's very autistic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom