Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers - now with Aftershock DLC

otsego

Cipher
The music seriously reminds me of the mod music that Andrew Sega used to make in the 90s.

I really wish more old school games would use mod soundtracks.

YES. I was playing through the second episode last night and had some serious flashbacks to Crusader No Remorse/Regret. Like encountering a familiar scent that immediately triggers an old memory.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Flier drones are very resistant to shotgun shells

in my experience they die to a single focused shot

however the alt-fire of the revolver takes them down instantly.

... which is true for just about everything else too?

Spiders are very weak to the SMG.

the spiders are very weak to everything because they are spiders

also the smg is generally very strong against everything

Fliers that shoot rockets and produce purple smoke are VERY weak to the SMG and the ion crossbow.

see above re: smg, and the crossbow point is just straight up fake news - unless you pop them in the head, it'll take like 3-4 shots to down them, which is the same as for a red cultist

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
nice try, but i'm playing on second hardest

also you're a certified and stamped apologetic shill for a game that's only just ok

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Finished the game. It's okay. Now starting a second playthrough on the hardest difficulty, which isn't a meme mode or impossibly difficult or inflates enemy HP, but seems actually well balanced. Enemies move faster which makes landing headshots a bit harder, and enemy placements are actually revamped. For example, the grenadier will appear as soon as the first level, and in much greater amounts. On top of that there's just more enemies in general. Apparently it also has less ammo/health pick-ups, but I haven't really been able to confirm this. The problem I had on my first playthrough is that like with the new enemies in Doom 2, Ion Fury went too easy on the player with its higher-tier enemies. It needed a Plutonia to draw out its full potential, and maybe the Maximum Fury difficulty will deliver on this.

One strange thing I have noticed is that the higher enemy movement speed on Maximum Fury seems to break the AI much more often by having them get stuck on walls or other far-off pieces of geometry where they can't pose much of a threat to you.

Curratum

Apparently it also has less ammo/health pick-ups, but I haven't really been able to confirm this.

The ammo pickups enemies drop don't give you as many rounds per drop, otherwise I think world items are the same.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm getting increasingly more annoyed with the enemy/encounter design in this game. I don't think I remember ever running into a situation in any other build game where I would have no idea who's shooting me and from where, while here it happens all the time because of the combination of bad audio (silent and nondescript enemy barks and shooting sounds), level aesthetics (everything is TOO FREAKING DARK and brown and grey) and enemy aesthetics (all of them blend into the enviroments, bonus points if they are also posted in shadows or coloured lighting).

PrettyDeadman

I'm getting increasingly more annoyed with the enemy/encounter design in this game. I don't think I remember ever running into a situation in any other build game where I would have no idea who's shooting me and from where, while here it happens all the time because of the combination of bad audio (silent and nondescript enemy barks and shooting sounds), level aesthetics (everything is TOO FREAKING DARK and brown and grey) and enemy aesthetics (all of them blend into the enviroments, bonus points if they are also posted in shadows or coloured lighting).
Use your eyes und memory.

PrettyDeadman

I've beaten EARLY ACESS version on hardest difficulty numerous times, both streets level and mansion level.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Is there a third person mode on this game? I saw in the trailer one section where Shelly is jumping with a third person camera aiming her back (It's not her reflect on a random mirror).

Hines

Savant
I really like this game. I had just finished my first playthrough of the disappointing and slow as molasses Quake 4, so returning to the movement speed of Build is like a dream come true. The art direction is pretty strong, too.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
So some on here were complaining about the lack of whacky weapons in this...

1566059545-Ion-Fury-Dart-otimized.gif

Ash

Arcane
This is bullshit, Blood has the best enemy roster then any Build game, not only that there are more types of enemies then in other games but they also have certain quirks that really shows when playing on hardest difficulty.

I will pass off the rest as simple disagreement, but this one is nonsense.

Things like cultists throwing bundles of dynamite that can one shot you or hounds being highly resistant to fire damage.

Wow that's impressive.

You can do better than that. You should have at least mentioned how cultists crawl around on the floor, held their ground in certain locations as well as could jump over obstacles...though Nukem pig cops lied down and Enforcers jumped, Troopers jetpacked or stayed grounded and Captains alternated between jetpacking/grounded/teleporting. Slimers went on the cieling and floor both. Blood's AI isn't bad but it's not as notable as Duke's, when it should be better. Shadow Warrior also probably has it beat. It has less enemy types than both Nukem and Blood, but you don't even notice as they are consistently all fun to fight and quite diverse.

Few games provide such a great enemy roster and used is such a good way that you need to carefully plan what weapons to use and what targets to prioritize when attacked by multiple enemies.

Kill the asshole hitscanning cultists that make up the majority of encounters in the game, or annoying as shit Hellhands first. Gargoyles or Hellhounds second. Everything else is either slow or simplistic, and all relatively nonthreatening. (Zombies, Spiders, Rats, Butchers, Phantasms, Gill Beast, Bats, Bone Eels). These pathetic enemies is what lets the "amazing" enemy roster down on top of the constant shitscanning Cultists.

The typical higher difficulty playthrough may look something like this:

Deaths by Cultists: 120
Deaths by everything else: 25

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
nice, stumbled on a plot-locked invisible wall

201908201917451.jpg

You can jump on the concrete barricade, then on the building to the left and you should be able to jump over the fence, right?

Wrong. Because invisible wall over the fence.

Please go the intended way so that a side door in the fence can unlock by itself later on instead.

muh level design

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom