Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Apex Legends - F2P Battle Royale set in the Titanfall Universe by Respawn

Well it's a far cry from an incredible start it had, but people are still playing, I returned briefly to check out how it felt, but ended up uninstalling in about 5 matches for reasons mentioned above.

Personally I don't like ADS as a main shooting mechanic and in Apex's case it's also messes with its movement (which is the game's best quality). Guess that's the problem with the subgenre in general, since camping and gang banging is encouraged - there's no real reason to waste time looting shit, it's gonna end up in someone else's inventory anyway (and winning is quite pointless). On the other hand dropping to hot spots doesn't hold up for long due to inferior mechanics and RNG.

Last edited:

U-8D8

Savant
Holy shit.

Apex's new super-legendary item basically costs $170

The Iron Crown Collection event that debuted in Apex Legends today is a bite-sized Battle Pass: 12 new Epic items, 12 new Legendary items, a new currency, a separate store to spend that currency, a new loot box, a temporary solos mode, and a new set of temporary challenges. All this stuff arrives in the middle of Season 2, which itself features 100 levels of collectibles to grind through and rewards for completing daily and weekly challenges.

At the top of this timed-event mountain is the Raven's Bite, a new Heirloom-quality melee weapon skin for Bloodhound. Heirloom weapons are a tier above legendary in Apex—the rarest of the rare items that cannot be crafted, and, up until today, could not be purchased.

Acquiring the Raven's Bite means paying a lot of money in order to have the privilege of paying another amount of money. Pay to pay, you might say.

First you have to first unlock all 24 of Apex's new Iron Crown items. To get Iron Crown items, you must buy Iron Crown packs. Iron Crown packs cost 700 Apex coins, or about $7 each (Apex provides bonus currency if you buy more of it).

The good news, I guess, is that every player, whether they've spent a nickel in Apex Legends or not, gets two (but only two) Iron Crown packs if they complete a pair of challenges: racking up 25,000 damage and knocking out 20 daily challenges. Generously, then, you'd only have to buy 22 of these packs, or a minimum of $160 in currency when using the bulk rate to buy 18,200 Apex Coins and complete the set.

[inhale] Then you'd have to scrounge up an additional 700 Apex Coins in order to acquire the Raven's Bite, which is 3500 coins (effectively $35) by itself. Taking advantage of coin discounts, $170 is the least amount of money you can pay to get this digital hatchet and the other 24 items in the Iron Crown Collection.

TL: DR: You've got to pay over a hundred bucks just to have to right to pay for an item. And the article defends this after the copied bit.

Tehdagah

Arcane
The Iron Crown Collection is complicated event, and Respawn and EA are definitely testing the waters of what players are willing to spend on time-limited premium items. A few of the new Legendary character skins are absolutely gorgeous, like Wraith's "Edgy Khaleesi" look or Bloodhound's conquistador-samurai hybird armor. Paying $7 for a loot box with a 50 percent chance to unlock one of these 12 legendaries is nuts, but it does pale in comparison to the $18 that legendary skins cost in Apex's existing, rotating storefront
A legendary skin in Fortnite is $20.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The insane thing is I read a reddit thread on r/games and apparently most shitheads in that place defended this shit because "you don't need cosmetic to enjoy the game" :retarded:

Squid

Arbiter
r/games or whatever is stupid then. r/apexlegends is pissed.

Season 2 seems to be satisfactory enough and worth ten bucks if you'll play enough to unlock the shit. The new event is total shit. You get two of those 7 dollar packs after completing challenges. The other 22 items from that collection will be only obtainable in a random fashion for 7 bucks a dice roll. Then you have the 6 store items that can be bought with the in game crowns that you get from challenges and opening 7 dollar boxes. Someone did the math and if you don't spend money you can't even get the highest tier from the event store with crowns after opening your two boxes and doing all the challenges.

I also love that they mentioned that the event items could return for another event/promotional thing. Makes you wonder if they're trying to do something scummier. Essentially microtransactions/lootboxes are evaluated and tested to see what price they should be. The idea is to mark it up as high as possible so that you still get buyers and enough of them that if you lowered the price the new buyers wouldn't make up for what you could have made a dollar higher. So if 20,000 people buy it at 5 dollars why would you lower to 4 dollars and get 22,000 sales? They do research and estimates to figure this out.

My guess is this is going a bit further somehow and milking anyone they can for 7 bucks a pop now and then later returning these items in an easier/more affordable method to get so they can save their image and keep everyone happy while maximizing how much they made off this stunt

Truly, in the end, you just gotta please the customers after you fuck up. Who cares that you messed up? Just apologize and hand out some goodies and people will love you again like a bad relationship they should leave.

Gerrard

Arcane
Same kind of people who defend PoE 50 dollar "microtransactions". You know your shit is fucked when even a 50% sale does not take it from the "obscenely retarded price" category.

abija

Prophet
You need to be a special case to complain about PoE's monetization. It has better and more content than any game of this genre on the market, COMPLETELY FREE.
Those expensive microtransactions are equivalent of tipping or gesture of appreciation. They can price them as high as they can.

Tehdagah

Arcane
For f2p games it's either p2w content or overpriced cosmetics, there's no other way to profit. Overpriced cosmetics are a much better deal.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Trololololo the devs went mentally retarded rolf.

Apex Legends producer calls players 'ass-hats' and 'dicks' in heated Reddit thread

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/apex-leg...s-ass-hats-and-dicks-in-heated-reddit-thread/

Here are just a few screenshot that from a deleted dialogue,really love the comeback of the dude.

From the Dev:
FLpE8e6.png

The comeback of some random dude :obviously::
pooVqGt.png

And the dev going full retard:
ZM71Gfa.png

Squid

Arbiter
Yeah, I saw this shit yesterday. No idea why devs do this. Just let your PR do their job. Or is this person now PR too? I only remember Jay Fresh from Titanfall 2.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah, I saw this shit yesterday. No idea why devs do this. Just let your PR do their job. Or is this person now PR too? I only remember Jay Fresh from Titanfall 2.
The funny thing was that the PR people were just appologising for all that shit and saying how the devs will fix it in due time,etc etc. A few hours later this dipshit shows in reddit and begins spouting butthurt nonsense,the worst part is that he is the project manager or something similar.
Here is another gem of his:

Jju7v3j.png

Also i love it how their PR dude at some point just lost it and decide to whine about muh his feelz and shit :)

WTsqJj7.png

Squid

Arbiter
I remember Jayfresh always being a cool dude.
I would imagine that bad press and working PR for a company like that would stress you the hell out.

Respawn and EA deserve this flak. Jayfresh taking this to heart isn't the way to deal with it but I guess it becomes unavoidable at some point in the job? The lootbox system in this game is stupid enough.

Someone did the math and you "save" money if you buy the 7 dollar lootboxes because you always get an epic or a legendary but to get a legendary out of normal ones (guaranteed) you have to spend up to 30.

Doesn't make the shit less scummy. Lootboxes suck. I actually enjoy this game, it's the best Battle Royale I've tried. But I'll be damned if I spend 7 dollars on an event lootbox. I won't spend 1 on a regular one either though so I guess I'm a freeloader. Maybe, just maybe, I like spending money on things and knowing what I'll get in return instead of randomized bullshit.

And miss me with that 18 dollar skin for a first person game... I'll see it at most 15% of my playtime. I could buy a better game for 18 bucks... Fuck off.

Gerrard

Arcane
You need to be a special case to complain about PoE's monetization. It has better and more content than any game of this genre on the market, COMPLETELY FREE.
Those expensive microtransactions are equivalent of tipping or gesture of appreciation. They can price them as high as they can.
You need to be a special case to defend PoE's """microtransations""". A special case of good goy.

Codex Year of the Donut
The insane thing is I read a reddit thread on r/games and apparently most shitheads in that place defended this shit because "you don't need cosmetic to enjoy the game" :retarded:
They are right.
I don't see the problem with this post. It's fucking cosmetics, and it pays for a free game.
The problem is that the developers got angry when people didn't want to pay high prices for digital cosmetics and attacked them.

abija

Prophet
You need to be a special case to defend PoE's """microtransations""". A special case of good goy.
Outside of Dota 2, that doesn't really count because it's also a huge marketing tool, PoE has one of the best monetization system for the users. And yes, expensive cosmetics make complete sense.

Gerrard

Arcane
Outside of Dota 2, that doesn't really count because it's also a huge marketing tool, PoE has one of the best monetization system for the users. And yes, expensive cosmetics make complete sense.
Even without other games existing that did not charge 40 dollars for a skin that would still be jewlord territory. Unfortunately for you (and all the poecucks defending this shit), other games do exist that don't charge even 1/4th of that.

I see that apparently 40 was too low for the good poegoys
Xw9G6Ic.png

You save $24 goy! What a steal!

abija

Prophet
You can't look at a single part of the package. The price of a skin is irrelevant, they could have 10.000$ skins and wouldn't change a thing. The monetization would still be great for the user.

Even in Apex's case, the people complaining about the prices are silly. But those "devs" took it to a whole new level. Even the fact they weren't fired in less than a day seems clowny as fuck.

Squid

Arbiter
don't see the problem with this post. It's fucking cosmetics, and it pays for a free game.
The problem is that the developers got angry when people didn't want to pay high prices for digital cosmetics and attacked them.
Yeah, there's no issue with them selling cosmetic shit. The problem is that it's super expensive and the only way to support this is in shitty ways. Like the store usually has one or two characters skins alongside one or two gun skins. The price of them are 11-18 dollars. For a first person shooter skin... Gun skins should never be more than 5 or 7 and the highest character skins should be 10. This is compounded by the fact it rotates what's in the store on a weekly basis making it a *limited time* offer. Otherwise you have to play the lottery with lootboxes.

The devs coming to shit on their users is not a good idea either. As someone already said, free to play titles survive through a mix of paying and non-paying players. Without the massive amount of non-paying and/or minimal paying players, the userbase would be so small it would likely be unappealing.

I just think if you're going to sell anything ever, it should be a reasonable price and it shouldn't be randomized. Selling randomized *limited time* skins at 7 bucks a pop is stupid.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Back when I still played Smite (Hi-rez's 3rd person MOBA), 1500 gems (20 bucks) can easily get you at least 2 tier 4 skins, more if you buy event bundles. These skins change god's model/theme, give completely new animations, new FX and new voice lines (Smite gods have shit tons of voice lines due to the VGS system). For example the Mayan bee god Ah Muzen Cab has a tier 4 skin called Dark Whisperer that turns him into a Cthulhu monstrosity with terrifying voice.

That shit easily spit on Apex Legends' 18 bucks recolored camo. These modern games as a service are trying to monetize like MMORPG and can't deliver the same amount and quality of content, what a joke.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom