Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

_Vic_

Educated
True enough, but indies are the only studios that make games interesting, or at least games that are not a clone with updated graphics of the same game you launched last year (but you need to milk more money). They also need some loving or we will find ourselves with the only option to play Call of Anthem: modern warfare Special ops NFL 2019- Zafiro edition and stuff like that.

Mortmal

Arcane
I've always preferred Infravsion from pre-3rd edition D&D. But they are working within constraints of the 5e system.

I mean theoretically they can housrule the shit out of it and introduce some popular 2E and 3E ideas.
What they are doing is already a house rule, they can just make it less retarded. As it is now you will need to always use light anyways to avoid attack penalties.
Thinkin so too, normal 5E rules makes elves and dwarves kings in a dungeon delve like this with no light and limited ressources , but in that new system that makes them completely irrelevant. If i have to use light all the time then i'll just pick an human variant instead to get one extra feat.Elves better have something new like advantage on paralysis to compensate this. And dwarves too, some advantage on poisons+ diseases .

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
I've always preferred Infravsion from pre-3rd edition D&D. But they are working within constraints of the 5e system.

I mean theoretically they can housrule the shit out of it and introduce some popular 2E and 3E ideas.
What they are doing is already a house rule, they can just make it less retarded. As it is now you will need to always use light anyways to avoid attack penalties.
Thinkin so too, normal 5E rules makes elves and dwarves kings in a dungeon delve like this with no light and limited ressources , but in that new system that makes them completely irrelevant. If i have to use light all the time then i'll just pick an human variant instead to get one extra feat.Elves better have something new like advantage on paralysis to compensate this. And dwarves too, some advantage on poisons+ diseases .

Keep in mind, there are three stages of lighting: light, dim-light, and darkness. As stated in the earlier update, the system they are using works like this:

• Normal Vision: Disadvantage on Perception Rolls & Attack Rolls under Darkness & Dim Light Conditions.
  • Darkvision: Disadvantage on Perception Rolls & Attack Rolls under Darkness Conditions.
  • Superior Darkvision: No Disadvantage under Darkness Conditions (only for specific Monsters or Darkvision Spell)
So races with darkvision still have an advantage, as they receive the penalty only under darkness conditions. They still operate efficiently in dim light. Meanwhile, humans get disadvantage in both darkness and dim light.

Dorateen

Arcane
From today's official announcement about the Sept. 3 Kickstarter:

CRdAkwziXyAg6F517yk4epdbvzzkB87ALU5fdXru.jpeg

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
Myzzrym , what will the max level be in the game?. The full 20 levels or less?

Although I know a lot of you would love to have a full lvl 1 to 20 epic campaign, our first game will be more limited. Similar to many Pen & Paper campaigns, the game will probably end around lvl 10 (don't quote me on that, nothing is certain - but level 20 is extremely unlikely without an unholy amount of padding, which is not what we want to go for).

Quantomas: Hey look man, criticizing our decisions and giving suggestions is fine - we may not agree on everything, but you do make some fair points. However, stuff like "if you want to do it properly you need to hire a pro" kinda sounds like "hey your programmers aren't at that level" - and that's... not very cool, because now you're not attacking the game but the people behind. Anyway, you've made your point on the fact that you heavily dislike Utility Theory in Turn-Based games, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. Try the demo and see for yourself, if you still dislike it there are plenty of other games out there for you to enjoy^^

Mortmal

Arcane

Keep in mind, there are three stages of lighting: light, dim-light, and darkness. As stated in the earlier update, the system they are using works like this:

• Normal Vision: Disadvantage on Perception Rolls & Attack Rolls under Darkness & Dim Light Conditions.
  • Darkvision: Disadvantage on Perception Rolls & Attack Rolls under Darkness Conditions.
  • Superior Darkvision: No Disadvantage under Darkness Conditions (only for specific Monsters or Darkvision Spell)
So races with darkvision still have an advantage, as they receive the penalty only under darkness conditions. They still operate efficiently in dim light. Meanwhile, humans get disadvantage in both darkness and dim light.
But you will always optimize and plan to fight in full light never in dim light. The range on lanterns and torch is pretty high in 5E , even range characters are likely to benefits from full light.

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
But you will always optimize and plan to fight in full light never in dim light. The range on lanterns and torch is pretty high in 5E , even range characters are likely to benefits from full light.
A torch is only 20 foot of bright light, which is 4 cells - not that far away if you don't have all 4 characters huddled around a single torch. Also remember that characters using 2-handed weapons (bows for instance) can't have a torch in hand.

"Light" is still a cantrip, Isn't it?
Oh lord yes of course, otherwise you'd be in deep poo poo. However unless you have a full spellcaster party (technically not impossible, clerics are absolute at doing everything) you won't have enough Light available for every characters, so torches will still be required (or, again, your entire party is huddle around a torch. A decent choice until you run into fireballs)

Mortmal

Arcane
A torch is only 20 foot of bright light, which is 4 cells - not that far away if you don't have all 4 characters huddled around a single torch. Also remember that characters using 2-handed weapons (bows for instance) can't have a torch in hand.

Oh lord yes of course, otherwise you'd be in deep poo poo. However unless you have a full spellcaster party (technically not impossible, clerics are absolute at doing everything) you won't have enough Light available for every characters, so torches will still be required (or, again, your entire party is huddle around a torch. A decent choice until you run into fireballs)
Usually in D&D use a lantern and place it on your belt.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

If you get away with that then your DM is far too kind!

ArchAngel

Arcane
Pick up a pebble, cast continual light, strap to appropriate piece of equipment such as a shield. Bish, bash, bosh.
Then block with a shield and lose the pebble. How do you attach it to the outside of the shield in a way that it survives hits that are supposed to kill you?

ArchAngel

Arcane
In the belt or helmet also works.
In the belt would cover it partly. If you stick it to outside of your helmet in some way it also only works until someone hits you in the helmet which as normal non forgiving DM means it would be first natural 20 roll from any attack.

_Vic_

Educated
We could have some "Neutral Evil" GMs, indeed :negative:
en0qdtgkqfky.jpg

So, like Neanderthal said, we ask the caster to pick a peeble, cast continual light, strap it in the inside of the shield, attached to the shield straps. Unless the shield breaks (something that happened me several times o.O) we have our light protected and ready to go
Ah yes, i forgot: . Bish, bash, bosh.

_Vic_

Educated

If you get away with that then your DM is far too kind!
BTW, Spectacle you are definitely chaotic evil =D

Quantomas

Savant
Quantomas: Hey look man, criticizing our decisions and giving suggestions is fine - we may not agree on everything, but you do make some fair points. However, stuff like "if you want to do it properly you need to hire a pro" kinda sounds like "hey your programmers aren't at that level" - and that's... not very cool, because now you're not attacking the game but the people behind. Anyway, you've made your point on the fact that you heavily dislike Utility Theory in Turn-Based games, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. Try the demo and see for yourself, if you still dislike it there are plenty of other games out there for you to enjoy^^
Only trying to instill a sense of realism, for your benefit.

I like Utitlity Theory, it is a nice tool, but a poor choice for doing TB AI. Take my advice as it is, invest in encounter design. You may also reconsider whether it is a good idea to show your AI tools around.

Don't take reasonable criticism as a personal attack. If you do, people will question your competence. No one expects indie devs to have professional AI programmers on board or a lead programmer who is ten times faster than the average, or a top composer and an award winning writer, but you need to be reasonable so that people believe that you can pull off what you propose. Unless of course, you show off the finished product and it speaks for itself.

It is my personal opinion that you do not do yourself a favour, going about AI in the way you presented. If you rather would not have me speak up to give you some insight, that the approach you have chosen may not yield the desired result, so be it.

Why are you guys bothering with strapping illuminated pebbles to your equipment? Just cast light on your weapons/armor/clothes directly. There is also no concentration limit to the Light Cantrip, so cast it on whatever your want. The real question will be about if they let you throw objects in game. Then casting it on a handful of pebbles and chucking them into the distance (or shooting an arrow) could be usefully performed, like in P&P.

Fairfax

Arcane
Basically what he said. I understand the logic behind Dwarves having Darkvision since they spend their lives underground, but it doesn't solve the problem of balance.
Balance in this regard is (mostly) fine by the RAW. I don't know how/if you're implementing feats and variants, but by nerfing darkvision, the Variant Human becomes (relatively) much stronger.

And although you can't see enemies in darkness without darkvision, you can still hear them, which is why you're able to attack them with disadvantage in the first place. You could use a visual 'ping' and/or brief outline to represent what the human heard. You could also make it more or less accurate and/or longer depending on range and the character's perception.

Mortmal

Arcane
Why are you guys bothering with strapping illuminated pebbles to your equipment? Just cast light on your weapons/armor/clothes directly. There is also no concentration limit to the Light Cantrip, so cast it on whatever your want. The real question will be about if they let you throw objects in game. Then casting it on a handful of pebbles and chucking them into the distance (or shooting an arrow) could be usefully performed, like in P&P.
yes best option ever, many way to circumvent lightning trouble in D&D . They will just have to out rule all of that although.Still even if you have 4 squares of light, an human melee team will overperform never having any penalty just have to place the mage just behind with a torch, that if torch are the only things we can use in solasta. really dont see why you would pick elves and dwarves.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Pick up a pebble, cast continual light, strap to appropriate piece of equipment such as a shield. Bish, bash, bosh.
Then block with a shield and lose the pebble. How do you attach it to the outside of the shield in a way that it survives hits that are supposed to kill you?

Hit a pebble on a shield that's half blinding you? Sounds pretty difficult to me, plus stones even those weakened by continual light are hard and might not break. While my enemies trying to do that I'd expect at least a +4 Thaco bonus against him, so let him try.

Also continual light is continual until item wears down after years, reusable and constant, I'd prefer to cast that 2nd level spell once than constantly recast one of my precious first level spells every few turns.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Hit a pebble on a shield that's half blinding you? Sounds pretty difficult to me, plus stones even those weakened by continual light are hard and might not break. While my enemies trying to do that I'd expect at least a +4 Thaco bonus against him, so let him try.

Also continual light is continual until item wears down after years, reusable and constant, I'd prefer to cast that 2nd level spell once than constantly recast one of my precious first level spells every few turns.
What are you talking about? Half blinding?! Is every torch also half blinding your opponents?
And who said anything about hitting a pebble, you just hit the shield. Nobody explained to me how they plan to stick that pebble to a shield? There is no superglue in D&D, so any attempt at such will be very weak and will drop the pebble on the ground at first hit on the shield.
Unless we are talking about some special shield with a chamber for such a pebble which is LOL. Why not just have the Light spell be cast on shield in that case?!

ArchAngel

Arcane
You can cast the spell on just one object, not a bunch of pebbles.

Neanderthal

Arcane

What are you talking about? Half blinding?! Is every torch also half blinding your opponents?
And who said anything about hitting a pebble, you just hit the shield. Nobody explained to me how they plan to stick that pebble to a shield? There is no superglue in D&D, so any attempt at such will be very weak and will drop the pebble on the ground at first hit on the shield.
Unless we are talking about some special shield with a chamber for such a pebble which is LOL. Why not just have the Light spell be cast on shield in that case?!

Light sources of such magnitude are very bright, especially to dungeon dwellers. Yes there is glue in AD&D (Arrows and such) as I remember there may be a spell as can do that as well. You'll want something small and portable that you can cover, store or conceal.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom