Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gamescom 2019: Wasteland 3, Cyberpunk 2077, Bloodlines 2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; Cyberpunk 2077; Hardsuit Labs; inXile Entertainment; Paradox Interactive; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2; Wasteland 3

After the surprising number of RPGs that showed up at E3 earlier this year, one might have expected Gamescom to have an even greater RPG presence. But judging by the nominees for best roleplaying game at Gamescom - Wasteland 3 and two JRPGs - that may not have turned out to be the case. Indeed, Wasteland 3 was the only RPG of interest to appear at Microsoft's Inside Xbox Gamescom event today. inXile appear to have taken criticisms of their E3 trailer to heart and produced a much more serious one this time. It's narrated by the Patriarch, the elderly warlord that has invited the Rangers to Colorado to help settle his succession dispute. This is our first real look at Wasteland 3's user interface, including a glimpse of the game's character screen at 1:18. It appears that the character system has been significantly altered, including what may be some sort of character class implementation. We won't have to wait long to find out what that's about, since the alpha comes out in two days.

There isn't much to report about what happened during the rest of the day. I was hoping Baldur's Gate 3 would make another appearance at Google's Stadia Connect presentation, but instead all we got a was a very brief Cyberpunk 2077 trailer which appears to contains a few snippets from the gameplay video that's supposed to be coming out in the next couple of weeks, along with a slightly longer dev diary video. Another thing I could mention is the brief Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 trailer published by Paradox earlier today, which announces support for NVIDIA's RTX ray tracing technology, with a voice over by the Toreador lady from the original announcement trailer.

As for the Gamescom opening event itself, this year hosted by the ever-hustling Geoff Keighley, it was a complete waste of time. But hey, at least Wasteland 3 won that best RPG award. We'll see what else pops up during the rest of the week.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The most obvious problem that they seem to have fixed (key words: seem to have) is the line of sight/FOV. TToN and even W3 had unrealistic FOV. Esp. TToN with its unobstructed vision immersion breaking shenanigans.

The UI seems acceptable.

Tbh nothing of note was really shown here, other than 'splosshiuns r fun.

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
And I thought there will be camera movements and object destructivity like in XCom 2.
But hey, we have hope: The 5 years later release DIRECTORS CUT.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Andhaira

Arcane
How the fuck can anyone be hyped about anything related to InXile after the entire Bard's Tale debacle. Just look at BT4's original reveal teaser with the 'final' 'product'

Wasteland II was pretty shit too

I prefer the graphics style and UI of wasteland 2. This seems so generic.
I thought they were both fairly horrendous, so while I'm not sold yet on the new solution, I can't really say I'm particularly concerned with the idea of matching the previous one.

Also, Fargo is bragging about winning "RPG of the Show"

which frankly at this point is feeling a bit like Governor Elaine Marley winning the elections on Melee Island.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It better be possible to turn on the guy speaking in the trailer. If I have to work for someone called "The Patriarch" like that's anything but pure evil, I WILL NOT BUY.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Combat in that W3 trailer looks weak as fuck. Not only because it's another ShitX-Com clone, but the overall feel. This whole trailer steadily grows up to a combat scene, but when it actually starts the gun just goes "plop" like some erectile dysfunction med's advert.

CP2077 at least got some proper music back instead of that washed up soypunk.

As for VTMB2 annoying voice acting and advertising with RTX, gaming's most irrelevant technology of 2019, at best shows HardsuitLab's aspiration to join the AA league.

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This newspost has been augmented.
I didn't ask for this.

Also, this is what half-assed ray tracing looks like:

G1qkeUl.png

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Hey Infinitrion, make a news post about this or add it, it's a RPG also :happytrollboy:

Deleted Member 22431

Combat in that W3 trailer looks weak as fuck. Not only because it's another ShitX-Com clone, but the overall feel.
It seems that they didn't improve anything in the gameplay front. The art direction is a massive improvement, but everything else looks the same.

Kaivokz

Arcane
It better be possible to turn on the guy speaking in the trailer. If I have to work for someone called "The Patriarch" like that's anything but pure evil, I WILL NOT BUY.
This might be better phrased "betray" or "work against" or anything other than "turn on the guy."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom