Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Venetica - Gold Edition $2.78
Ankh-Anniversary Edition $1.99

Ha, I was just reminded Venetica existed the other day and put it on my Steam wishlist. Easy buy.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Venetica - Gold Edition $2.78
Ankh-Anniversary Edition $1.99

Ha, I was just reminded Venetica existed the other day and put it on my Steam wishlist. Easy buy.

Same, i had it wishlisted on GOG too (on their games wishlist). Fireflower Games was also selling it DRM free and i was planning on buying it there at some point in the future if GOG never got it but i guess FFG will need to find some other exclusive to lure me there :-P.

But i only noticed it accidentally. GOG should send an email when a wishlisted game becomes available.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
GOG should send an email when a wishlisted game becomes available.

But it does? Make sure it didn't end up in your spam folder or something.

I mean games i have wishlisted through the community wishlist, not my own wishlist. They send me (many!) emails about my own wishlist but not for games that there are in the community wishlist that i have voted for and become available.

Though the weird thing is that i've got such an email once. I just searched my GOG folder (i have a filter that sends all GOG mails there, nothing goes to spam and i have mails going back years) and there is only a single mail for a wishlisted title. Honestly as much as i like GOG's offers in terms of packaging, extras, etc and of course the DRM-free aspect, everything about their site is a mess.

Last edited by a moderator:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think my copy of Call of Juarez is from the old Amazon download store, so I'll pay a couple bucks to get it on GOG. Dying Light I have on Steam so meh.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I still remember that epic opening when they catch you with a whore and offer a whole hour with her to whoever catches you.

Modron

Arcane
Are the Call of Juarez games actually any good? The whole series is on sale at steam at the moment but I really don't know much about them.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Are the Call of Juarez games actually any good? The whole series is on sale at steam at the moment but I really don't know much about them.

Gunslinger is a great linear shooter. The first couple I remember being more uneven, but still solid. The modern one is supposed to be terrible but I never played it. If you're one of those "every FPS since the Xbox launched sucks" people though I doubt any of them would change your mind.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath

All I remember about the first two games:
- janky but pretty good. I think. Maybe?
- looked amazing at the time.
- the first one has AWFUL fistfighting sequences.
- you can dual wield gun + bible.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The second one... Bound in Blood? Too lazy to google... looked fucking amazing at the time. I remember being astounded how good it looked for a console port of that era. God knows how well it holds up though.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
The second one... Bound in Blood? Too lazy to google... looked fucking amazing at the time. I remember being astounded how good it looked for a console port of that era. God knows how well it holds up though.

Good game. Got it on Gamersgate a few years back (before they went over to just Steam keys). Game's a bit on rails, but the pew-pew is fun, and the old west chatter and scenery is clearly still early 2000s, meaning no heavy-handed politics or agenda. Some civil war action at the start, followed by a fun but typical wild west story.

Boleskine

Arcane
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/08/08/first-look-at-gog-galaxy-2-0-gaming-client/

First Look at GOG Galaxy 2.0 gaming client
by Martin Brinkmann on August 08, 2019

The game distribution service GOG flies a bit under the radar in the grand scheme of things. It is not the largest nor the store with the biggest selection of games. GOG is different in several key aspects, however, and that makes it an interesting choice for some users.

GOG offers DRM free games and content, has a strong focus on classic games, and does not require the installation of a gaming client.

The company launched GOG Galaxy, its gaming client, in 2018 as an optional component. Customers could, but did not have to, download GOG Galaxy to better manage games, game updates, and use functionality that GOG added to the client regularly.

A major update, GOG Galaxy 2.0, was teased in May 2019 and customers could sign-up for a place in the beta of the client. One of the revealed features made version 2.0 of the client a very interesting update, one that could very well boost the popularity of the client significantly. GOG highlighted that Galaxy 2.0 would function as a multi-platform client so that customers could manage all their games using it.

One of the main issues today on PC is that several gaming companies and publishers created platforms to sell games. Steam may be the largest on PC but there are also stores by EA, Ubisoft, Epic, and Microsoft, to name just a few of the larger players.

gog-galaxy-2.0.png

I received my invite to the closed beta recently and spend some time using the client. The client picks up data from an existing GOG Galaxy installation and can be installed on Windows 8 or newer versions of Windows. The current client, GOG Galaxy 1.2, supports Windows 7 as well. The new client is also available for Mac OS X 10.12 or newer.

Note: the client is still in beta. Some features may not work properly yet and bug are to be expected. I did not experience many though during my initial test of the platform update.

GOG Galaxy 2.0 should pick up all games purchased on GOG automatically after you sign-in to the client. You can manage these just like before and browse the library, install or uninstall games, and start to play them.

The major new feature of the new version is the ability to connect to other platforms. A click on "add games & friends" and the selection of "connect platforms" begins the process.

The current version of the client supports the following platforms besides GOG.com: Xbox Live, Epic Games Store, Origin, Playstation Network, Steam, Uplay.

gog-integrations.png

All you need to do at this point is to click on the "connect" button next to the platform that you want to integrate. GOG Galaxy 2.0 downloads a component that is required for the integration and displays the supported features in a prompt.

To use Steam as an example. Steam users get to integrate the game library in the GOG Galaxy 2.0 client, may install and launch games from the platform, and get to use achievement and game time features.

The friends functionality is limited as only recommendations by friends are provided but not the list of friends or chat functionality.

connect-steam.png

Once you hit connect you get a new login prompt for the service to authenticate. All games of the library are imported then and any game that is already installed on the system will be recognized as such. GOG plans to integrate single game imports in a future version.

Galaxy 2.0 divides games by client and provides a full listing of all games next to that. You may use filters, e.g. by platform or system, to limit results.

If installations are supported, you may install any game directly from the Galaxy 2.0 client if you want to. You may also install using the native client and GOG Galaxy 2.0 will pick up the installation automatically.

Note that installations and playing of third-party platform games requires the installation of these platforms on the device. You still end up having to install them all if the platforms require that but can manage all games from a single client.

Closing Words
GOG Galaxy 2.0 left a great impression. While still in beta, it worked well and for the most part as expected. The idea to create a client to manage games on multiple platforms is great as it improves manageability significantly.

If GOG manages to integrate friends and chats for all these platforms as well, or at least notifications when friends start to play certain games, it could very well turn out to become my main gaming client on Windows.

Now You: What is your take on the idea and client? Do you play games?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
GOG - 'We've done focus groups studies, and we've determined that 10% of our audience are 50 year old wargamers, 90% are disturbed teens in need of therapy games. Lets adjust our release schedule accordingly.'

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Went to buy a game on GOG, I get this when selecting PayPal as my payment option:

Selected payment method is currently unavailable, please choose a different one.

Anyone have any idea why this is? GOG support has yet to answer me on any of my previous issues with their store, so I'm not exactly excited about contacting them first.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The thread was insightful reading, but the solution was actually on the GOG support site (for once).

Basically, 'braintree-api.com' needs to be allowed through NoScript and similar addons for PayPal purchases to work on GOG now.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Ah dammit. Must be strong. The most love hate relationship I've ever had with a game and it's on sale for only a few bucks!

Must not buy Heroes of Might and Magic II and III

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom