Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
What a bunch of sheeple.

People support what they believe in. If DARQ gets boosted sales on steam because of this, it would show other developers the value of keeping a good relationship to your community/fanbase. I'll buy the game when I get home from work. It's my money, I find this to be a good cause to support, and the game actually looks neat.

That's the problem, people believe in shitty games. I watched gameplay and it's basically on the level of bioshock bells puzzle, while been ten times more pretentious.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Eh, I don't know, all time peak players according to steamdb is 120.

Yeah that's not as good as I expected. Maybe the Epic hate mob audience he was aiming for is smaller than I thought.

I'm not sure that we can see how many from 'epic hate mob audience' bought the game based on peak players, as I would imagine that many of those won't even play the game.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
[snipped]
I like how not accepting a deal is being a "martyr".
I like the implication that Epic (a capitalist company worth billions) is going for an "unsustainable" business model to "fight injustice"
I like how he said "foolish decision in the short term" as it implies that it's a wise decision in the long-term.
Mat should stick to posting NPD numbers and random trivia because that's his strength. And he should be more careful about replying to idiots.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Really now?!?! Jason fucking Schroder,mister award winner for being oppressed journalists by toxic games.....whining about "martyrs".......lol we live in a clown world.

V_K

Arcane
The Epic Games Store will be our exclusive third-party PC download partner (you will still be able to directly download the game from MTGArena.com)
So basically the Ubisoft con - get some free money without losing any real sales. Makes one wonder why Epic keeps falling for those.
Yep, brought that up in MTGA thread. I'd be going full pitchforks and torches if they were killing the regular client from WotC and forcing people over to EGS, but this is still a kick in the balls compared to Steam.*

*Reason being Steam would likely bring more players to the game which would slightly benefit me just for easier matchmaking. Presumably going to EGS will be beneficial compared to just staying on WotC's webpage though.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
maybe I should give digital Magic a shot, considering playing it in real life is an absolute fucking nightmare, pairing pay-to-win cardboard with the worst of the worst of the worst the spectrum (takes one to know one) covered in old dead man body odor, unless the game still sucks butt

Squid

Arbiter
The benefit of digital Magic is that you can at least get some good stuff without paying a dime.
The benefit of paper Magic is that if you own that card, Wizards can't shut down a server and render it no longer yours.

I've spent way too much money on the game in the past unfortunately. The neat thing is, if I ever decided to get rid of my paper cards there is still a market out there for it and I can at least sell them.
That's my issue with a lot of digital ownership, once they decide you can't own it anymore, what are you going to do? Hope for a class action lawsuit? Magic and other TCGs have always been scummy but at least the physical cards you get are ones that you will own until WotC employs secret police to knock on your door at 2 a.m. to retrieve banned cards from you.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Sony, a console war veteran, enters: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-08-20-sony-publishes-readyset-heroes-on-epic-games-store

Sony publishes ReadySet Heroes on Epic Games Store
Robot Entertainment's action-adventure title is the first Sony-published title on the storefront

Sony Interactive Entertainment is preparing to launch Robot Entertainment's ReadySet Heroes on the Epic Games store, in a first for the publisher.

The game is currently planned for an October 1 launch on both PS4 and PC, with the PC version getting a store page on the Epic Games store earlier today. It does not currently have a Steam store page.

Though not quite what he was referring to, yesterday Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios chairman Shawn Layden suggested a change in the company's attitude toward third-party platforms, indicating that Sony first-party exclusives may see PC releases in the future. Although ReadySet Heroes doesn't fall into the category of a Sony first-party developed game, it is the first time a Sony game has appeared on the Epic Games store and may signal a future openness to the platform.

Yesterday, developer Robot Entertainment announced a different exclusivity deal, revealing that Orcs Must Die 3 would be a timed exclusive at launch for Google Stadia. This was a decision that CEO Patrick Hudson said effectively saved the franchise after the shuttering of the mobile Orcs Must Die game and a round of layoffs at the studio.

Unlike Quantic Dream and thatgamecompany games that Sony did not directly involved in their PC releases.

For the curious:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
The benefit of digital Magic is that you can at least get some good stuff without paying a dime.
The benefit of paper Magic is that if you own that card, Wizards can't shut down a server and render it no longer yours.

I've spent way too much money on the game in the past unfortunately. The neat thing is, if I ever decided to get rid of my paper cards there is still a market out there for it and I can at least sell them.
That's my issue with a lot of digital ownership, once they decide you can't own it anymore, what are you going to do? Hope for a class action lawsuit? Magic and other TCGs have always been scummy but at least the physical cards you get are ones that you will own until WotC employs secret police to knock on your door at 2 a.m. to retrieve banned cards from you.

The benefits of it being digital far outweigh the (basically non-existent) chance that the game will ever shut down. There's probably more people playing MTGA than paper magic at this point and they haven't even ported it to other OS yet.

V_K

Arcane
Yesterday, developer Robot Entertainment announced a different exclusivity deal, revealing that Orcs Must Die 3 would be a timed exclusive at launch for Google Stadia. This was a decision that CEO Patrick Hudson said effectively saved the franchise after the shuttering of the mobile Orcs Must Die game and a round of layoffs at the studio.
Now that's the bit I find worrisome.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Whats the usual/average Publisher/Developer cut? If its more favorable than the 30/70 or 12/88 split with the publisher+dev/storefront combo, would steam just outright win in perpetuity if they became a publisher to all the devs and cut out the middlemen publishers? Of course that means managers and timelines and roadmaps and more support/whips to drive the devs along

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom