Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Quillon

Arcane
Not sure how it can be applied to the protagonist since we players will always be human and think like human.

Since PC can't go psycho, maybe humanity cost on cybernetics could cut off empathetic options in dialogue gradually :/ It will be interesting to see what that mechanic entails.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
One thing has been bothering me for a while. If the protag is male, his handle ought to be D.
It's decided. I'm not buying this game until the D mod comes out.

Also,
kJyUbBS.png

Jesus fucking Christ. Cybperunk is based on real life?

Gee, never heard of another game handle such topic... 8 years ago (and this is just the most prominent one I can think of, I'm sure there's even more that have touched on this in the past). I fucking hate Twitter

yg066t.jpg

And no game has handled the topic better than either Blade Runner or Ghost in the Shell, but that's not going to stop me from playing the games. Let me have my fun, damn you.

P.S. Human Revolution isn't fun. It's a thematically trite (to your point) gameplay slog that force feeds bad stealth mechanics.

Not sure how it can be applied to the protagonist since we players will always be human and think like human.

Since PC can't go psycho, maybe humanity cost on cybernetics could cut off empathetic options in dialogue gradually :/ It will be interesting to see what that mechanic entails.

Fat chance (much like gerey's pick related). My money is on a base reputation modifier.

Example:
No cybernetics = base rep 10
Some cybernetics = base rep 5
All cybernetics = base rep 0.
Base rep determines agreeableness of NPCs towards the PC
Certain cybernetic-happy factions might have the opposite effect, i.e. all cybernetics = base rep 20

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
kJyUbBS.png

For those that don't know, Kasia Redesiuk is the person who created this image:

uZ52FiC.jpg

and then defended its use in the following Polygon article:

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2019/6/1...77-trans-advertisement-cd-projekt-red-e3-2019

So I asked her: Why was a trans model used in this particular advertisement?

“Personally, for me, this person is sexy,” Redesiuk said. “I like how this person looks. However, this model is used — their beautiful body is used — for corporate reasons. They are displayed there just as a thing, and that’s the terrible part of it.”

Redesiuk said that the world of Cyberpunk 2077 includes many people who are gender-nonconforming, some of whom enjoy showing off their bodies in public. They are a demographic group with significant purchasing power, and so, megacorporations use their likenesses to sell soft drinks. It’s supposed to be a play on the same sort of hypersexualized advertising that modern companies use to sell products today, just brought in line with the kind of future CD Projekt wants to portray.

“In [the year] 2077, especially with how much body modifications are available, I think people just mix and match however they want, however they feel,” Redesiuk said. “And even society is more open to different kinds of relationships.”

This is not to say that the player should see this kind of advertising as good. Redesiuk said that it was designed to feel jarring and overly aggressive, like all the other ads in the game, but not because of the femme-presenting trans model.

“Cyberpunk 2077 is a dystopian future where megacorporations dictate everything,” Redesiuk said. “They try to, and successfully, influence people’s lives. They shove products down their throats. They create those very aggressive advertisements that use, and abuse, a lot of people’s needs and instincts. So, hypersexualization is apparent everywhere, and in our ads there are many examples of hypersexualized women, hypersexualized men, and hypersexualized people in between.

“This is all to show that [much like in our modern world], hypersexualization in advertisements is just terrible,” Redesiuk continued. “It was a conscious choice on our end to show that in this world — a world where you are a cyberpunk, a person fighting against corporations. That [advertisement] is what you’re fighting against.”

I asked Redesiuk what she would say to those in the trans community who might be offended to see themselves portrayed this way in the game.

“I would say it was never the intention to offend anyone,” Redesiuk said. “However, with this image of an oversexualized person, we did want to show how oversexualization of people is bad. And that’s it.

“I think that sexy bodies are sexy. Full disclosure: I love female bodies. I love male bodies. I love bodies in between. This is who I am. However, I hate it when it’s used commercially. And that’s exactly what we want to show by doing this exactly, by showing how big corporations use people’s bodies against them.”

For Redesiuk, the fictional advertisement is also an effort to increase empathy for the LGBTQ community among video game consumers.

“We need it,” Redesiuk said. “I honestly think we need it because we need more acceptance in the world, and we need to also show how the goodness of people is sometimes used against them. And I would really love for the world to change and be a better place for everyone.”

Despite her appearance and her clear 'wokeness', at least she has the integrity to defend her art against the wrath of the social justice mob, rather than beg for forgiveness and fall over herself to appease their desires. You may not like the way she looks or agree with her stance on transgender politics, but credit should be given where credit is due.

Honestly I kinda think she's a bad-ass. Here's another video:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
So basically wokeness is now 'we understand corporate manipulation and marketing techniques are used to entice people to use goods or services that oppresses others and marginalizes groups, but hey we're gonna do it ourselves anyway 'cause we got rent to pay.'

It's either a stunning lack of self-awareness, or their internalized cynicism is so advanced they've double-backed on themselves and now represent the worst of what they say they're fighting against. Either way, those people are broken and all the glue and duct tape in the world won't put them back together again.

thesecret1

Arcane
at least she has the integrity to defend her art against the wrath of the social justice mob
Is this a joke? The whole thing is social justice made manifest. "Muh sexualized ads!" "I liek cocks and veganas and stuff, hue hue hue" "THE GAY COMMUNITY!"

The whole "defense" is built on the premise that she's more of an SJW than her critics, one of the core components being kvetching about sexualized ads - something that SJWs traditionally fight against not because corporations would shove disgusting tranny goblins down our throats, but because having a hot girl as part of the marketing is haram.

Yosharian

Arcane
at least she has the integrity to defend her art against the wrath of the social justice mob
Is this a joke? The whole thing is social justice made manifest. "Muh sexualized ads!" "I liek cocks and veganas and stuff, hue hue hue" "THE GAY COMMUNITY!"

The whole "defense" is built on the premise that she's more of an SJW than her critics, one of the core components being kvetching about sexualized ads - something that SJWs traditionally fight against not because corporations would shove disgusting tranny goblins down our throats, but because having a hot girl as part of the marketing is haram.
The artwork and the way it is placed in the game allows players enjoy the art for its own sake and/or see it as a critique of corporate advertising.

That is the entire reason the mob went after the art in the first place - "You can't use trans bodies to make this point."

Whether or not you agree with the sentiment about corporate advertising is moot - you're free to disagree with it and see the art the way you want to see it. And that's what pissed off the mob, who insist that games must tell the player to think, not let them make up their own minds.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is dangerhair an inevitable byproduct of surviving cancer?
People who are normal-looking before chemotherapy become very thin as a result of it, and when they begin recovering tend to start eating everything in sight, and thus go to the other extreme.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Despite her appearance and her clear 'wokeness', at least she has the integrity to defend her art against the wrath of the social justice mob, rather than beg for forgiveness and fall over herself to appease their desires. You may not like the way she looks or agree with her stance on transgender politics, but credit should be given where credit is due.

Honestly I kinda think she's a bad-ass.
Anyone supporting tranny insanity is an amoral monster by default. I see no reason to respect her, especially since she's not taking a stand due to artistic integrity, but simply because she thinks she's more woke than her detractors.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So I asked her: Why was a trans model used in this particular advertisement?

“Personally, for me, this person is sexy,” Redesiuk said. “I like how this person looks. However, this model is used — their beautiful body is used — for corporate reasons. They are displayed there just as a thing, and that’s the terrible part of it.”

Redesiuk said that the world of Cyberpunk 2077 includes many people who are gender-nonconforming, some of whom enjoy showing off their bodies in public. They are a demographic group with significant purchasing power, and so, megacorporations use their likenesses to sell soft drinks. It’s supposed to be a play on the same sort of hypersexualized advertising that modern companies use to sell products today, just brought in line with the kind of future CD Projekt wants to portray.

“In [the year] 2077, especially with how much body modifications are available, I think people just mix and match however they want, however they feel,” Redesiuk said. “And even society is more open to different kinds of relationships.”

This is not to say that the player should see this kind of advertising as good. Redesiuk said that it was designed to feel jarring and overly aggressive, like all the other ads in the game, but not because of the femme-presenting trans model.

“Cyberpunk 2077 is a dystopian future where megacorporations dictate everything,” Redesiuk said. “They try to, and successfully, influence people’s lives. They shove products down their throats. They create those very aggressive advertisements that use, and abuse, a lot of people’s needs and instincts. So, hypersexualization is apparent everywhere, and in our ads there are many examples of hypersexualized women, hypersexualized men, and hypersexualized people in between.

“This is all to show that [much like in our modern world], hypersexualization in advertisements is just terrible,” Redesiuk continued. “It was a conscious choice on our end to show that in this world — a world where you are a cyberpunk, a person fighting against corporations. That [advertisement] is what you’re fighting against.”

I asked Redesiuk what she would say to those in the trans community who might be offended to see themselves portrayed this way in the game.

“I would say it was never the intention to offend anyone,” Redesiuk said. “However, with this image of an oversexualized person, we did want to show how oversexualization of people is bad. And that’s it.

“I think that sexy bodies are sexy. Full disclosure: I love female bodies. I love male bodies. I love bodies in between. This is who I am. However, I hate it when it’s used commercially. And that’s exactly what we want to show by doing this exactly, by showing how big corporations use people’s bodies against them.”

For Redesiuk, the fictional advertisement is also an effort to increase empathy for the LGBTQ community among video game consumers.

“We need it,” Redesiuk said. “I honestly think we need it because we need more acceptance in the world, and we need to also show how the goodness of people is sometimes used against them. And I would really love for the world to change and be a better place for everyone.”

Those quotes are revealing. I don't care she has been attacked by other SJWs, they do that all the time, she is part of the cancer.

Social Justice has arrived to CD Projekt with force. Watch the decline of the company and its games.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I hate all the trans shit, it is so fucking boring. I don't care, I just want more games where I can shoot bad guys and drive fast, because maybe some day one of them will be good instead of average. I don't care who does or doesn't have a penis, even in real life, but especially in a game. Shitty fucking youth culture dragging the world down.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
but hey we're gonna do it ourselves anyway 'cause we got rent to pay.'
That's what you took from that?

The purpose of the artwork is quite clear. It's wry commentary on corporate advertising.

Yep. Even blue hairs get coached on the importance of ROI while employed. The are companies selling video games. If this was the message being delivered via some Latin lumber worker who tied himself to a tree and was sacrificing his mid-section to protest worker rights, I might take the message seriously. As it is, these are 'concerned' spoiled western brats who work for a company that has a corporate structure, official policies, and a bottom line. Wash out the hair dye, get on a treadmill, and wrap yourself in the joys of capitalism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom