Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
However... Once these abysmal first impressions have passed, the game was surprisingly pleasant. Feels sort of a Witcher 3 in Ancient Greece, with (far) worse writing and better combat.

Pleasant? What? Most of the game content is boring NPC telling you to go 1.201 Kms away, recover an item or killing someone, and return to them. Most of the main quest has no special encounters, locations or even setpieces, it's just the same clear the enemy fort bullshit repeated from 80 hours of playthrough. There's no heart, no soul, in this garbage product. The animations during dialogue are worse than ME Andromeda, the world is samey, boring and empty, voice acting is cringe, role playing is non existant.

Also...better combat than The Witcher 3? Seriosuly? The combat in this game is abysmal, it's a series of damage sponges that you can't defeat if they are even 2 levels above you, with gameplay mechanics that either force you to spam the attack the attack button or use the bow and running aroud in reverse to avoid the attack. The parry is shit and the animations are garbage and over exagerated.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hey did no one preload? I don't want to be notified about responses to this thread unless they are about my question 10x

Fishy

Savant
Pleasant? What? Most of the game content is boring NPC telling you to go 1.201 Kms away, recover an item or killing someone, and return to them. Most of the main quest has no special encounters, locations or even setpieces, it's just the same clear the enemy fort bullshit repeated from 80 hours of playthrough. There's no heart, no soul, in this garbage product. The animations during dialogue are worse than ME Andromeda, the world is samey, boring and empty, voice acting is cringe, role playing is non existant.

Hence the 'surprisingly' in front of 'pleasant'. I didn't expect to enjoy it that much, but for me, it works. I'm a sucker for big open worlds, as empty as they may be, and I really loved the sights traveling around this one. The world is boring and empty? Sure. It is samey? Well, that depends on what you call samey. For sure, it's all mediterranean landscapes, but well, that's what it's supposed to be like, and I thought plenty of areas had their own feel, between cities, villages, island settlements, clay pits... But then I'm not much of a fan of the grass-area, snow-area, swamp-area, desert-area, lava-area and undead nuclear wasteland area trope. When the scale is what it is in modern games, I find the multi-biome thing rather jarring.

Quest-wise, sure, most quests are cookie cutter stuff, but you quickly learn to ignore the obvious most shitty ones (conveniently flagged with an hourglass or arrows icons). The rest is a mixed bag but I regularly found some that were a bit above and amused me.

The voice acting is awful, no complaints there. It's not just the voice though, it's the whole out-of-place modern english swearing but-with-a-foreign-accent. Really really poor effort that.

Also...better combat than The Witcher 3? Seriosuly? The combat in this game is abysmal, it's a series of damage sponges that you can't defeat if they are even 2 levels above you, with gameplay mechanics that either force you to spam the attack the attack button or use the bow and running aroud in reverse to avoid the attack. The parry is shit and the animations are garbage and over exagerated.

Well, I will salute your high standards for combat. While I wouldn't have minded a better model, I thought it was good enough to work out. There are plenty of takedown options from far away to up close, and that was enough to make those forts entertaining over the duration of the storyline to me. I've done everything between sniping the Polemarch/items, silently exterminating every single soul, and charging loudly through the front door, depending on the mood. With the addition of naval combat, it made for more variety than the Sign/Dodge/LightAttack/LightAttack/LightAttack routine in W3. Damage sponges have only ever been an issue on Tutorial Island to me, mayyyyybe Megaris, but not even sure. After that everything was rather manageable.

My main grief with combat is the conquest battles. First, sure, they're shitty unorganised melee combat which is a bit jarring. But mostly, they're plain boring since it's just about killing stuff as fast as possible on a stupid flat plain. No playing with the environment/range/stealth means it's a bit of a boring slog. Ship boarding at least has the option to throw overboard, and doesn't overstay its welcome.

So, yes. 'surprisingly pleasant'. It's very cookie cutter and I shouldn't have enjoyed it that much, but somehow, it worked for me. There's enough landscape to walk around in and enough options to wipe out forts that I enjoyed the ride. I don't think I'll ever go back to it once I'm through the DLCs/Lost Tales of Greece, but I did enjoy the time when it wasn't trying to make me care about their modern day storyline.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes, I agree, they should ditch the animus bullshit and start doing proper historical arpgs.

They have the engine, the funds, attention to detail. Just acquire some writers and quest designers from CD Projekt Red and they are good to go.

The animus and the connection between the historical period and the present are what made the series interesting to begin with and gave the meaning to the plot set in the past, allowing for the use and twisting of historical character while retaining focus.

They shouldn't ditch the animus because it's a bad idea, they should because their writers are shit and they clearly aren't capable anymore of producing an interesting paralel story set in the present.

Well, I am not an AC fanboy, so I do not care about Animus, the bullshit conspiracy theories, assassins and templars, to me all of that is just a silly addition to a plot set in a certain historical period. I do not need the scenes in the present times, or the futuristic menus. Would much prefer the stories of Bayek of Siwa and Alexios/Cassandra to be self contained, without any conection to the moronic AC mythos.

Besides, attention to detail? What? Their rendition of ancient Greece and the Peloponnesian war is campy, shlock and makes a mockery of both Assassin's Creed and the tragedy of the real history.

A giant african woman, in the greek islands, that happens to be a pirate and be stronger than men. Lul

Or what about the lack of sexual discrimination for women? What about the 3 meters tall enemies with giant sword and hammers? What about the battles that are depicted as brawls instead of actual historical phalanx formations? What about the giant statue of Zeus on the starting island? The lack of life and interesting NPCs routines in Athens?

The level of detail of this game is shit.

I was thinking about attention to detail when it comes to portraying the environments of the games. Cities are beautiful, wilderness regions too.

And true, they are falsifying history, which I do not like. Thing is, they already shat on history with the ridiculous conspiracy theory. If the ditch the whole AC thing, they may make a historical RPG without Assassins, Templars, millenia long struggle between these retarded factions. They may actually concentrate on creating something fresh, original, different. And perhaps then they will not feel such an urge to rewrite other aspects of history too.

I guess we shall see. I am content that in the last installments of the series "present day" scenes take less and less space. Only one step remains to finally resign from them altogether.

raz3r

Novice
Never played AC before, I bought this one because I always loved Ancient Greece and because I like games with a female protagonist. Yes the game does require some grind, expecially at the very beginning where pretty much everyone can one shot you. If you start doing some side quests though you'll be the guy one shotting everyone. I mean I can handle enemies that are 1 or 2 levels above mine just fine, higher than that it is simply not possible but that is just how the game has been designed I guess.

Previous games did have pretty solid attention to detail. Odyssey is in a special class of its own - even the previous game, Origins, showed unfortunate historical realities such as discrimination towards women when it was appropriate to do so and I don't remember it avoiding potentially "uncomfortable" topics like slavery or the mistreatment of basically anyone who wasn't rich or connected. Never felt like it was preachy, but it also didn't feel crazily out of whack compared to real history (minus the actually crazy sci-fi stuff).

Odyssey is on another level, though, in terms of paying zero respect to its setting. Even things like the general game feel end up hurting Odyssey, with ship combat feeling bizarrely similar to the combat in Black Flag, how Sparta has a bunch of ships sailing around, and making the main character overly mobile and capable of parkour and stealth despite there being absolutely no reason why Alexios or Kassandra would have those particular skills within AC's own lore or the sort of "Greek mythical hero" vibe they were going for.

Odyssey does have some "mind-numbingly pleasant" bits and pieces, and it's a beautiful game, but it's also a mediocre open-world RPG and an abysmal Assassin's Creed game. Whether you loved or hated the old stuff, I feel for the original creator of the series. It's completely unrecognizable at this stage, and whatever original ideas the series had have been steamrolled with some of the most heavily focus-grouped gameplay elements you could possibly imagine.

Fishy

Savant
Ok, after the earlier praise, and without taking anything away from it, I feel I need to come clean in view of recent developments.

Legacy of the First Blade (DLC1) is absolute complete horseshit.

Odyssey is gone and it's all about shitty assassin bloodline lore and babies with the flattest, most boring NPC ever, like the only one in the entire game I didn't feel like clicking the romantic dialogue options with. Yes, even the granny was a go, but the Legacy NPC? Ugh. I swear, if I hear "Elpidios!" one more time I'm going to go on a rampage and start posting AC fan fiction every single day to the responsibles for this abomination of a storyline. I suspect Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson are involved, somehow. The writing quality and character depth is definitely on their level.

Atlantis better redeem the game, I'd hate to end this journey on such a shitty note.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Ok, after the earlier praise, and without taking anything away from it, I feel I need to come clean in view of recent developments.

Legacy of the First Blade (DLC1) is absolute complete horseshit.

Odyssey is gone and it's all about shitty assassin bloodline lore and babies with the flattest, most boring NPC ever, like the only one in the entire game I didn't feel like clicking the romantic dialogue options with. Yes, even the granny was a go, but the Legacy NPC? Ugh. I swear, if I hear "Elpidios!" one more time I'm going to go on a rampage and start posting AC fan fiction every single day to the responsibles for this abomination of a storyline. I suspect Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson are involved, somehow. The writing quality and character depth is definitely on their level.

Atlantis better redeem the game, I'd hate to end this journey on such a shitty note.

I would argue the granny was the best romance option in the game because it's the most funny one.

The rest was kind meh, but they weren't suppose to be serious, while the DLC has worse writing then every other "romance" in the game, it also take itself way too serious. It feels like you are suddenly play a new protagonist with a different personality in a new shittier game and all the things happen in the base game doesn't matter.

Fishy

Savant
I would argue the granny was the best romance option in the game because it's the most funny one.

The rest was kind meh, but they weren't suppose to be serious, while the DLC has worse writing then every other "romance" in the game, it also take itself way too serious. It feels like you are suddenly play a new protagonist with a different personality in a new shittier game and all the things happen in the base game doesn't matter.

Very much. And yes, the granny was too hilarious to pass. I'd put her up there with Kyra, probably the only one that takes itself semi-seriously but works out well with the storyline. Honourable mention to Friend-With-Benefits Alkibrodes and his endless dick jokes too.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Lost all interest in playing this once I read about Ubisoft microtransactions needed to get rid of the location ?'s, the one thing that most annoyed me about Origins, and now I learn it's designed explicitly to annoy you until you pay cold hard real-world cash to get rid of them. Thank you but no... I'm sticking with the classic era of AC with none of this stonewalling, cockblocking bullshit. Assassin's Creed series has finally had it. Just about to finish up Black Flag and I'm having a ball. Now there was a game with brilliant design, a high fun factor and NO BULLSHIT, though it has been disappointing that sometimes important main quest NPCs accidentally kill themselves with a bomb or a bug, therefore auto-completing the quest without you having to do a finishing kill (like Charles Vain on the deserted island) but that's infinitely preferable to shitty fucking microtransactions. R.I.P. AssCreed.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Never payed a cent in microtransactions while playing Origins - obviously I am not easily annoyed.

Or I simply play games at my own pace, not rush them to completion with the help of microtransactions aimed at ADHD crowd.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Now that I think of it there are are ?s also littered on the AC IV Black Flag sea map. You have to sail to them to discover what they are, which is sometimes quite a shock when it turns out to be one (sometimes two) of those legendary ghost ships that are devastatingly powerful and you have to fight in heavy fog. Did they have micro-transactions for removing those too? In this case, it actually made the game better with the surprise of suddenly encountering an overwhelming enemy. But I really hate micro-transactions of any kind on principle. I see too many idiots only too happy to throw away their money because some developer got the gibbons addicted to their shitty game and micro-transactions. I don't like rushing a game either but nor am I one of those OCD types that has to finish and check off literally every blip on the map.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Microtransactions suck obviously, but they really aren't needed here, or at least I didn't find them necessary. I do not have the need to uncover every ? though, most are just filler.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I hate microtransactions in full priced games like every other reasonable guy, but here they are really not inevitable to have fun with the game (Origins gave me 70 and Odyssey about 120 hours of gameplay without a need to buy single xp boost).

Ofcourse there will always be morons who instead of playing the game want to rush it, and some of them will use microtransaction system to that effect.

But as we know, a fool and his gold are easily parted.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
(Origins gave me 70 and Odyssey about 120 hours of gameplay without a need to buy single xp boost).

So you recommend Odyssey? Have to admit, I generally really liked Origins but hated certain things about it, and the general dumbed down quality it had over classic previous entries in the series. For example, I don't remember any chase missions which could be wild and frantic and a hallmark of the series, if a bit frustrating at times. Nor where there tail missions, which also could be fun, if sometimes frustrating. But Origins is quite simply one of the most visually mesmerizing games I have ever played. It was quite stunning. Is there anyone here that loved Origins but hated Odyssey or are they similar enough that the chances are high someone like me would like it?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
(Origins gave me 70 and Odyssey about 120 hours of gameplay without a need to buy single xp boost).

So you recommend Odyssey? Have to admit, I generally really liked Origins but hated certain things about it, and the general dumbed down quality it had over classic previous entries in the series. For example, I don't remember any chase missions which could be wild and frantic and a hallmark of the series, if a bit frustrating at times. Nor where there tail missions, which also could be fun, if sometimes frustrating. But Origins is quite simply one of the most visually mesmerizing games I have ever played. It was quite stunning. Is there anyone here that loved Origins but hated Odyssey or are they similar enough that the chances are high someone like me would like it?

There was a crazy chase mission on the streets of Alexandria!

Maybe even two, but my memory is rusty. I don't remember tail missions though.

As for the recommendation... I think I liked the atmosphere of Origins much better. They also managed to effectively show the social strife of Ptolemaic Egypt (conflict between the Greco-Macedonian ruling class and the Egyptian lower class; later a shift happens when Greco-Macedonians themselves become a lower class for the new overlords, the Romans). Many quests were focused on those social conflicts.

Odyssey for sure adds more RPG elements: dialogue options, real choice & consequence (sometimes with dramatic effects, some questlines can end completely differently based on your actions and especially mistakes; people may survive or die, find happiness or be forever broken, this type of serious shit). Also, the sailing mechanism is cool and adds to exploration. The atmosphere is not as good as Origins, and the conflict between Athens and Sparta, while interesting and a background for some quality questlines, is not as good as it could have been. Athens and Sparta are not real "factions" with loyalty meters, they don't have actual relations with you. You can work for one for some time, than switch to another, than backstab and return to the former and noone cares. Sometimes the plot forces you to work with Athenians (or a subfaction among them), then pushes you to cooperate with Spartans (or subfaction among them). It's all dependant on who is opposing the Cult of Cosmos and who is supporting it - and there are opponents and supporters on both sides of the Peloponesian War.

However, while atmosphere is not as good and faction system does not really work (not that there was one in Origins), there are great and memorable characters, many more than in Origins. Socrates is brilliant, always forcing you to question the aims and motivations of your actions. Alcybiades is a true comedy relief, hilariously always hitting on you. Barnabas and Brasidas are simply bros. Phoibe does not irritate for most of the time. Even the villains are more interesting and fleshed out, than the end boss from Origins, who I really had a trouble of connecting with any past events. All in all, it's a decent storyline with a satisfying resolution. Mind you, I did not play the dlcs and really do not intend to. I prefered the historical parts to all the Assassins and the Atlantis bullshit.

So I guess I do recommend it, yeah. If you liked Origins and enjoy action RPGs, it is a step in right direction.

Last edited:

Fishy

Savant
And finished the Fate of Atlantis DLC last night. It was a mixed bag but I rather enjoyed it in the end. On the bad: there's (again) too much modern-world-assassin-templar-conspiracy-drama with fan fiction levels of writing and it just gets in the way of blazing through mythological greek worlds. Like, it literally kills momentum at a point.
You're thrown into a pit into the Underworld and find yourself facing Cerberus. Aaaaaaand... cut to shitty modern day "plot" that you have to endure before being allowed to face the mad dog of Shimano Hades.
Absolutely abject design. Also, you're constantly being reminded how these are simulations. Yeah, yeah, I know, it's super deep lore but just let me whack heroes, monsters and gods already ffs.

Now, past this, it's cool. It pushes up the fantasy/mythology volume to 11 and you get to visit new places:
Elysium, Hades and Atlantis
Greek Gods soap opera all around, plenty of standard Odyssey fare (kill, steal, vandalise) and some entertaining quests scattered throughout. You get to meet a good few celebrities, although some are sadly completely underused.
Typically, the 4 gate guardians you have to recruit are criminally underdeveloped, you go to them, whack them, tell them to go slave out for Hades, they silently nod and that's it. I mean, we're talking about Herakles, Agamemnon, Perseus and Achilles here, you'd have thought they'd put a little more into them, like they did for Leonidas in Elysium...

There's of course the stupid shit design where they couldn't be bothered with matching story and gameplay. At some point you're basically an official judge, with sort of supreme legal powers. Yet you still can't enter a place without all guards aggroing on sight, so your public servant job curiously becomes murdering, looting and vandalising, as usual. Still, if you enjoyed the loop before (I did), that's some more of it in, imho, good looking locations, with each episode going for a fairly different style.

So now I'm back to the standard Greece map, with just a bit of exploration to do, as well as most of the lost tales (only did the Herodotos one). Dunno if I'll head into it now or take a break and come back to it occasionally. I'm 161 hours in according to Steam, so I feel like going for something else too.

Final verdict is that it's a lovely game. As far as beer-and-pretzels action rpg games go, it's somewhere near the top of my list. The setting, size and beauty of the world make up for a lot of shortcomings, and the cash store shit can thankfully be safely and completely ignored.

Last edited:

Morkar Left

Yesterday there was a sale for all Assassins Creed games (it's still ongoing for some hours with up to 66%). Got the full Odyssey game with everything for 40 €. That's ok. This makes it my first AC game ever...

If the series has something going on than it's the environment / gameworld. It looks very authentic and actually some history lore goes into the world design (Origings looks great, too).
I consider this game definitely an action rpg similar to Dragons Dogma. It's a surprisingly well rounded affair so far after the first 4 hours.

Good so far:
- Exploration is actually good and rewarding e.g. found some better equipment at the bottom of a lake after diving into it.
- combat is servicable / good
- sneaking is nice (but too easy and somtimes weird behaviour from enemies)
- cutscene presentation is really professional
- story isn't badly presented. A bit generic but I like it
- bountyhunter system is nice. They seem to be on the right spots waiting for you.
- german voice acting and translation is great. Some npc background talk is even in greek. Very Immershun!
- you can fight from horseback. A marvellous achievement of gaming history. Especially when it's not needed at all in the game. And when compared to SOME other games ofc...

Dissappointing things:
- no DRM-free version. General statement: I would love to have a gog version, at least if the game is older. When I like games I just want my own version to keep and store. It's actually a huge thing for games I care about...
- no manual. Like zero explanation what mechanics are all there and why. Sure there is a tutorial but still it explains rather few things. I guess when I get a ship they will tell me about ressources or something but still would like to know that in advance...
- No shield combat for your char. Which is really weird for the time period and double weird since Origins seems to actually have shield combat. Would have really loved to play hoplite style...
- those fucking motorboat ships roaming around. It already looks ridiculous from the beach seeing 4 ships speeding around... Only jetskiing is missing... Unfortunately no mod to slow down them to half of the speed (or even 25%)
- Equipment is level restricted with wide damage gaps in between. Level system basically means that you can forget things even 1 to 2 levels above your own thanks to hitpoint sponges. Maybe just because I play on hard but I've seen it on a LP with normal difficulty too. Same enemy (first bountyhunter).
- You can't talk to most npcs. They don't even have a oneliner. Don't know how many plebs I already accidentally pushed into the dirt or my horse run over...
- horse has no stats
- Where can I see my actual hitpoints when outside of combat? Get I instantly all hp back when outside of combat???
- Story Creator Mode is an interesting move...
- There's no shield...
- Did I mention no shield???

Conclusion: So far I like what I play and could be a really good game depending and what else there is. Will see how good leveling and loot/equipment is done in the end, Sightseeing is definitely the strong point here so far. Especially since Field of Glory Empires made me interested in the timeperiod again. Therefore I bought Origins too. And AC1 one because it was under 3 €...

Fishy

Savant
- Equipment is level restricted with wide damage gaps in between. Level system basically means that you can forget things even 1 to 2 levels above your own thanks to hitpoint sponges. Maybe just because I play on hard but I've seen it on a LP with normal difficulty too. Same enemy (first bountyhunter).

That's only true at the beginning thankfully, where 1 level above is massive and 2 above and it's like you're fighting with a rubber sword. Later, things even up, you deliberately hunt down bounty hunters a few levels above you just for ranking, and at some point you may feel like your DPS is a bit weak and you realise that you've been using a weapon 8 levels below yours for a good while. That's how much those levels end up mattering. And unless you beeline the main story, you'll soon have the entire world scale down to you.

- Where can I see my actual hitpoints when outside of combat? Get I instantly all hp back when outside of combat???

Yup, get out of combat and you'll see that white HP bar fill up back to full. Yes, it makes things very easy.

- There's no shield...

I know, right? In fact it's even worse than that because not only do they deprive you of the ultimate battlefield fashion statement, they also actively take the piss late game. There's a kinda big quest where you go on a family heirloom shield retrieval mission and Kassandra herself tells the NPC "What's a Spartan without his shield?". F you Ubi! :argh:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Unfortunately guise, don't expect anything of substance from Ubisoft, Ubisoft is the kind of company that would make bizarre factions with zero connections to reality no Division 2 to offend no one and moved the setting from Bolivia on Ghost Recon Breakpoint to not offend the bolivian government, they don't have a single bone on their spine and don't know the concept of artist integrity or even integrity in general. Bizarre black female hulk sized mercenaries walking around giant sized statues of Zeus is the kind of soulless consumerist vapid stuff we can expect from them. They make games like MacDonald's make chicken nuggets, just wait for a 75% off and play their games when you wish to burn some neurons without thinking too much about it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I started watching a no commentary let's play but I got completely turned off by the tone of the writing and the fake accents.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Yesterday there was a sale for all Assassins Creed games (it's still ongoing for some hours with up to 66%). Got the full Odyssey game with everything for 40 €. That's ok. This makes it my first AC game ever...

If the series has something going on than it's the environment / gameworld. It looks very authentic and actually some history lore goes into the world design (Origings looks great, too).
I consider this game definitely an action rpg similar to Dragons Dogma. It's a surprisingly well rounded affair so far after the first 4 hours.

Good so far:
- Exploration is actually good and rewarding e.g. found some better equipment at the bottom of a lake after diving into it.
- combat is servicable / good
- sneaking is nice (but too easy and somtimes weird behaviour from enemies)
- cutscene presentation is really professional
- story isn't badly presented. A bit generic but I like it
- bountyhunter system is nice. They seem to be on the right spots waiting for you.
- german voice acting and translation is great. Some npc background talk is even in greek. Very Immershun!
- you can fight from horseback. A marvellous achievement of gaming history. Especially when it's not needed at all in the game. And when compared to SOME other games ofc...

Dissappointing things:
- no DRM-free version. General statement: I would love to have a gog version, at least if the game is older. When I like games I just want my own version to keep and store. It's actually a huge thing for games I care about...
- no manual. Like zero explanation what mechanics are all there and why. Sure there is a tutorial but still it explains rather few things. I guess when I get a ship they will tell me about ressources or something but still would like to know that in advance...
- No shield combat for your char. Which is really weird for the time period and double weird since Origins seems to actually have shield combat. Would have really loved to play hoplite style...
- those fucking motorboat ships roaming around. It already looks ridiculous from the beach seeing 4 ships speeding around... Only jetskiing is missing... Unfortunately no mod to slow down them to half of the speed (or even 25%)
- You can't talk to most npcs. They don't even have a oneliner. Don't know how many plebs I already accidentally pushed into the dirt or my horse run over...
- horse has no stats
- Story Creator Mode is an interesting move...
- There's no shield...

Conclusion: So far I like what I play and could be a really good game depending and what else there is. Will see how good leveling and loot/equipment is done in the end, Sightseeing is definitely the strong point here so far. Especially since Field of Glory Empires made me interested in the timeperiod again. Therefore I bought Origins too. And AC1 one because it was under 3 €...

All the equipment's stats are random except the unique ones, so you just change them for some newer ones. It's like Diablo series in this regard. However you can upgrade any equipment to your currently level at a blacksmith if you want to.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

so I'd never actually played an assassin's creed game, though I'd heard the basics.

what a dogshit plot.

the most mind numbing stuff is the interludes with the women and their reality simulation machine. these vapid cunts couldn't invent a toaster.

the alien bullshit is insultingly dumb. just pisses all over the historical setting.

gameplay is like Witcher 3, but dumbed down and with online feature cancer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom