Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

pat

Arcane
Developer
Here's a gif demonstrating new magic items in The Red Prison with the spawn rate turned up to 100% so I have a whole bunch of toys to try out. Rest in pieces Taklak:

lZSvGko.gif

getter77

Augur
Caverns of Xaskazien II with the next chunky update on the path of overhaul: https://virtua-sinner.itch.io/caverns-of-xaskazien-ii/devlog/94688/cox-2-ver-08702-release

More content! More bugfixes! More fun!

NOTE - if you're downloading the patch and have previously altered your preferences in the game, you'll have to do so again - this patch, of necessity, overwrites the old preference file.

NOTE ALSO: Old save games won't work with this new version. Not sure what will happen if you try, but I assume the game will mess up majorly. So, maybe finish any ongoing games before installing the patch.

Download the patch if you're upgrading, or the whole game if you're new to it! If upgrading, just download the zip file, place it in your main Caverns of Xaskazien 2 folder, unzip it, and answer yes to any "do you wish to overwrite" previous files questions.

Here’s the patch notes:

Major Improvements:

- Restored Races: Lizard Man, Tree Man. (All original races have now been restored to the game with complete perk lists!)

- Restored Classes: Dragon Slayer, Druid, Warlock, Explorer, Paladin.

- New Spell: Pyrophilia.

- New Perks: Swamp Stench, Tail Whip, Tail Balance, Scale Coating, Swamp Life, That Hiss, Weep No More, Scalecraft, Piercing Blow, Fire With Fire, Bathed in Flame, Flame Retardant, Natural Buoyancy, Grow Ally, Subsidiary Limbs, Thick Bark, Regrowth, Call Insects, Mushroom Identification, Call Animal, Eagle’s Wings, Ways of the Forest, Woodland Attunement, Animal Friends, Chant the Chant, Black Rituals, Mental Wards, Summon Demon, Dark Arts, Interdimensional Doorways, Demonic Control, Sense of Surroundings, Jungle Survival, Climbing, Spelunking, A Leg Up, Always a Backup, Spot the Details, Moral Code, Laying of Hands, Divine Right, Royal Blood, Dignity, Chivalry, Shining Armour.

- New Booby Traps: Jinx, Grease Trap, Smoke Trap.

Codex Year of the Donut
Here's a gif demonstrating new magic items in The Red Prison with the spawn rate turned up to 100% so I have a whole bunch of toys to try out. Rest in pieces Taklak:

lZSvGko.gif
Came here to post about this.
If you're the developer you should make a separate thread.

pat

Arcane
Developer
Yeah sure, that's a good idea. I'll work up a proper introductory post with some updated gifs in the next couple of days.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Gonna have to try it at some point further down the line, everything you've posted looks great.

Using my free time this week while waiting for Titan Outpost to be properly patched, I decided to purchase Dicey Dungeons.

iu

Sure, graphically it looks like utter faggotry, but the developer has been consistently releasing (very high) quality content, so why not?

Here's what I have:
-Combat mechanics are interesting, but after a while I begins to feel shallow due to limited options. You pretty much end up doing the same all the time
-Exploration is non-existent. No risks, no traps, no nothing
-Poorly achieved art style
-Even at highest speed, animations take too long for a rogue
-Music and sound FX are incredibly annoying

If anyone had it in sight, don't bother. Might be decent in the future with further development in its lacking aspects, but I doubt it.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Some guy's review on Zorbus (not mine) with quick machine translation. I asked if I can post it for dev's eyes.

Played in Zorbus.
A strange mixture of depth and casualness.
At the same time, separate dungeon rooms look good, furniture, thematic rooms and that's all.
But in reality, for some reason, the dungeons are inadequately huge and completely consist of such rooms, as if the generator had broken down and generated everything completely from special rooms. WTF, why did the developer do this. If they were rarer, it would be much more interesting. And then the whole floor is a jumbled hodgepodge of colored rooms with mountains of rubbish, as if this is your acidic slex.
Good things are - the behavior of monsters and partners.
The dungeon really feels alive. Raking enemies begin to retreat, looking for reinforcements in the face of relatives. Types of enemies are fighting among themselves.
Cool lighting system. Enemy's approaching can be seen by the light from around the corner.
You can recruit partners, they will chat with you during the game, you can change their equipment.
Potentially good thing, but disgusting generation so far spoils everything.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Picked up Angband to try it out since it's been ages and I love the itemization in it. But god damn this game needs auto explore and tab fighting even more than crawl does. Levels are massive, enemies take a lot to kill unless you find an artifact weapon, they run away obnoxiously, and rangers need to pick up their arrows one by one scattered all over large rooms. It's like the game was purposely designed to make you get bored and lean on a key to kill yourself to a fucking puppy.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Picked up Angband to try it out since it's been ages and I love the itemization in it. But god damn this game needs auto explore and tab fighting even more than crawl does. Levels are massive, enemies take a lot to kill unless you find an artifact weapon, they run away obnoxiously, and rangers need to pick up their arrows one by one scattered all over large rooms. It's like the game was purposely designed to make you get bored and lean on a key to kill yourself to a fucking puppy.

IIRC, traditionally you'd make some conveniences yourself by defining macros. Never played with a ranged weapon but as a mage or priest I've had macros for the most often used spells (I vaguely recall that targeting wasn't much of a problem for spells because of macros). Before auto-explore was a thing, shift+direction allowed the player to follow a corridor until the end or some event which reduced the number of keystrokes a lot.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
>Raid town
>Find basement
>Meh it's a weed basement
>See hole in the wall
>Explore the tunnel
8Ske3DR.png

That's gotta be new huh. Been a long since I play, maybe I'll revisit it. Are you using default zombie? I think there is PK Rebalance Mod or something that changed the special zombies.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I thought the list was longer.

Anyway, found one that didn't make the list yet, it's a Tactical party-based Dungeon Crawler rogue-like (which you can play in adventure mode too) :

Played only the first floor but it's very good, slightly on the easy side on normal mode; it gets tougher later on; but very satisfying with some interesting traps, 4 classes at first and their prestige classes and then far more.
One boss fight per floor.
I really like how the combat is simple and yet quite tactical, every move count, AI isn't dumb, refraining from stepping on obvious traps and there's a fast travel option by clicking on the floor map.

Quality shit : :5/5:

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

lZSvGko.gif
Came here to post about this.
If you're the developer you should make a separate thread.
since it's the first 5E RPG?
There's actually a 5E-based roguelike in early access on Steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1074040/The_Red_Prison/
:M

Sonic Titan

Educated
Been dabbling in Nethack again; specifically, Nethack4 since I can use the gorgeous RLtiles tileset.

However, I want to give Angband a shot too. Anybody able to recommend any particular Bands? Or is Vanilla good enough.

Damned Registrations

I was always fond of ToME 2.3. It's wildly unbalanced (especially with all the princess quests enabled like I did) but plays pretty quickly because of that. I love dicking around with the skill system and making builds. Traps are bullshit though, if you don't detect traps everywhere after the early game you can get fucked super hard, they can do things like steal your piety or scatter your inventory all over the level.

poschengband has lots of crazy shit like playing as sentient swords or rings or a gelatinous cube.

I tried vanilla angband recently and bounced off it pretty hard- felt incredibly grindy. Though maybe that changes when you get to the deeper floors or if you play a mage.

Sonic Titan

Educated
To be honest, I’m not super keen on the crazy variants akin to Slash ‘Em Nethack right now. Maybe in the future when I’m not pleb.

Just want a Band that is close to Vanilla while featuring minimal but worthwhile changes and has access to the tilesets.

Damned Registrations

I'd just try vanilla then, it's been getting recent updates, I'd assume they've added the most common QoL features from other versions already, and it has tiles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom