Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Settlers: New Allies - revival from Ubisoft

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Welcome back, Settlers :love:

On the other hand, holy fuck what a versatile engine Snowdrop is, from open world third shooter (The Division), casual 2D cartoonish RPG (south park), turn based strategy (mario + rabbids) to space exploration sim or whatever that Starlink game is, and now RTS city builder. Those devs at Ubisoft put some serious black magic into it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I loved this series, but somehow this artstyle rubs me the wrong way. Not even that, but I just don't feel the charm of the originals, especially the style of S3 and 4, which are my favourites. I really try to be very selective with the new games, since I barely have any time to game. I think I'll pass up on this, but I hope it will be good, so more people will be introduced to this great franchise (not counting the new ones, which were shit).

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I loved this series, but somehow this artstyle rubs me the wrong way. Not even that, but I just don't feel the charm of the originals, especially the style of S3 and 4, which are my favourites. I really try to be very selective with the new games, since I barely have any time to game. I think I'll pass up on this, but I hope it will be good, so more people will be introduced to this great franchise (not counting the new ones, which were shit).
I'm more in the settlers 2 camp, but I agree.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Actual GAMEPLAY?

That alone makes it better than 90% of AAAAAAA++ modern millennial game previews.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
We already have a thread: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-settlers-2019.123494/

But since you mentioned "shitty pixar graphics"... I kinda agree. There is something I don't like. But it's also hard to pinpoint what exactly it is. It has to do with minimal textures, half cartoonish, some things looking out of proportion etc. Even though it's not overly exaggerated, it's still "bleh".

Edit: one reason for that may be, that there is too much detail. This may sound like a contradiction, because I criticised "minimal textures", but let me explain: the buildings in original Settlers 2 were "clean" in appearance. Simple house foundation, simple house structure, and fine grained textures with only 3-4 colors. Even if you had tons of buildings it looked nice and clean. You always saw at a glance what's what. But in the new Settlers it's too complicated: buildings have a too complicated foundation, structure, and rough textures. Too much meaningless building details, which at the same time look too rough. And they also look very similar to other buildings. You build 1-3 houses and the whole scene looks messed up. You don't know what's what anymore, everything is confusing and unclean. It's weird. Sigh... difficult to explain... but it was the same issue with "Settlers 2 10th anniversary". However, the 10th anniversary looked much worse than this new Reboot.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Lol, the exact same cinematic bullshit like the last year.

Btw if the last two Annos are anything to go by, we'll get a very barebones base game and about 2 or 3 meagre expansions. So for about 85 bucks we'll get about half the content we were used to get from those games back in the day, before Ubisoft started to tighten the noose.

Lagi

Savant
looks like another game when they spend all efforts on pretty, yet completely nonfunctional graphic, and gameplay is a boring repetitive chore.

i like the hex grid

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The visual style isn't that bad. It's not like Settlers 3 and 4 didn't already look terribly cartoony anyway.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Development hell: https://www.thesettlers-alliance.com/en/a-message-from-the-the-settlers-team/

TSA_Header_for_Delay_Announcement_EN.png

A message from the “The Settlers” team

Hello dear “The Settlers” fans,

Since the announcement that “The Settlers” are back, we have received an overwhelming amount of comments, feedback and suggestions.

There are so many “The Settlers” fans out there who love the many different aspects of the game. Be it the economic part, the military, the look and feel, the “wuselfaktor” or the inviting world – to name a few. We are incredibly grateful for your feedback, and over the last few months, while performing playtests and diary studies, one thing became clear: while we are on the right path to deliver a great game, we really want to deliver an exceptional gaming experience.

Since quality is our main priority, we want to take the time necessary to make it right. Therefore, we had to make the difficult decision to postpone the release of the game until further notice. The additional time will be used to address your feedback and deliver the best “The Settlers” game possible. While we cannot provide a new release date yet, rest assured we will keep you updated via The Settlers Alliance and our other channels as soon as we can give you further information.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Cheers,
Your “The Settlers” Team

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom