Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy VIII Remastered

laclongquan

Arcane
I think the takeaway lesson here, for all concerned, is that Final Fantasy 8 was a bad idea at conception- the only winning move was not to make it.
Sad to say you have a point. School setting is too limited. There's not many games using it successfully. Even the one I like best, Academagia, is a little niche game~

JDR13

Arcane
I'm not a big fan of JRPGs anymore, but I've always liked Final Fantasy. FF IV was one of my favorite games as a kid, and I also really like V, VI, and VII. In fact I recently started replaying VII for the first time in nearly 15 years.

That said, I'm a little surprised by this remaster. FF VIII is a big turd imo. They can poilsh it all they want, but it's always going to be a turd.

laclongquan

Arcane
My cruel barbs which trample all over Jacob's young adult soul
Basically, you claimed that you can't see why other don't think of Quistis the same way that you think (This fantasy "empress" of yours), when pointed why, you only get all apologetic about her failures. To put it simply, she gives off the appearance of this hot teacher, but it's basically just a facade. To be fair, since I invoked the writing rule, I have to admit, that Quistis having a prodigy background but retarded personality in the story is a of good character concept. But still, your fantasy empress doesn't exist anywhere in the story.

Fashion points which simply fly over Jacob's head

Really? Seems like you're avoiding my point and started talking out of your ass here. I didn't even comment on how she acts in combat, just the costume choice. What? She dropped the glass and wear something practical in combat? Sure, but remember everyone else often wear something impractical too. Which is my complain in the first place.

Also, why do you have to write "Japanese combat"? Is just "combat" not enough? Do the Japanese have their own style of combat that we gaijins know nothing about? Enlighten me here.
Point number 1: You still dont get what I alluded to regarding Quistis and her whip, do you? Despite repeating "empress" to demonstrate otherwise, but you. just. dont. know. WTH I was talking about.
Point number 2: Quistis has a prodigy background but having a "retarded", your word, personality is nothing strange. As I said, she's 18. And 18yo are generally retards (I dont want to remember how retard I acted waybackwhen). (Squall acting retard, Selphie is happily retard, Irvine is retarded playboy). Plus she's in love (she thought) so that was double the motivation to act that way. If you dont want to admit that 18 being retard and 18yo lovergirl acting retard, wake the hell up.
Point number 4: Dont sidetrack into another topic. As for Quistis (and everyone else) combat costume, I cant fucking believe you want to make this point. You are arguing style choice with game developers back at Squaresoft. either you make lots of money, buy SquareEnix, then dictate the devs there to change art asset to what you want, or you make mod to change them into what you want. Arguing about style choice is the most useless thing, ever. STYLE!

Beastro

Arcane
I had the good fortune to play Final Fantasy VIII as a kid and as my first FF game, and as an ignorant fuck I happily went along with the terrible design that is the Draw system.

I do recall an obsession with Triple Triad and the Card command, too.

Today I still like the game, but I mostly remember the music, the characters and strangely enough, the weird amalgam of different visual styles the game had. The way the game transitioned between rustic, contemporary and blatantly sci-fi elements in its environments is something I don't think other FF games have replicated since. Compare Balamb, Galbadia, Esthar etc. with each other. Other FF games are more consistent in how they portray their worlds, but FF VIII is quite the jumble.

I hated Triple Triad. It would be one thing to play and lose cards and shit, but the rules migration that allowed the bullshit ones to spread and predominate without a good way to restricting them turned it into a save scumming enterprise for the cards you needed.

Eh, Squall was competent.

FF8-you-da-man-squall.jpg

Remember to take this with utmost seriousness.
Everyone keeps praising Qistis as the superior choice, but remember, along with the sniper guy, she acts like retard in the assassination mission. Superior choice is Rinoa's mom.

But she's a Taylor Swit type with that hot sexy teacher thing going on at the same time. :/

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
I think the takeaway lesson here, for all concerned, is that Final Fantasy 8 was a bad idea at conception- the only winning move was not to make it.
Sad to say you have a point. School setting is too limited. There's not many games using it successfully. Even the one I like best, Academagia, is a little niche game~
Rip academagia year 2

Okagron

Prophet
I still like VI the best of the 2D mainlines.
Just remembered this game is 25 years old this year. And i love it as well and i think it's one of the Final Fantasy games that has aged the best.

FF1 > rest :obviously:
I replayed this one a couple years ago and i honestly still really enjoy it. There's something charming about its simplicity compared to the later games. And while it doesn't have a lot of music tracks, what's there is still awesome.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah I really don't see what was "remastered". I found the game decent back in the day, but I don't see a reason to replay it like this

LJ40

Cipher
Yeah I really don't see what was "remastered". I found the game decent back in the day, but I don't see a reason to replay it like this
Remastered just means upping the quality of graphics and/or sound. If you think that looks like the PS1 version the only thing really in question is your eyesight.

Nahel

Arcane
Remastered just means upping the quality of graphics and/or sound. If you think that looks like the PS1 version the only thing really in question is your eyesight.

Remastered implies to get close to a current technical level. If you think that is even close to quality graphics maybe you should get your eyesight checked instead. With such a small graphical amelioration they should not even bother.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Remastered implies to get close to a current technical level. If you think that is even close to quality graphics maybe you should get your eyesight checked instead. With such a small graphical amelioration they should not even bother.
I mean obviously the textures are cleaner etc, but they used all the same assets etc so it basically feels like a PSX emulation or something

If you think that looks like the PS1 version the only thing really in question is your eyesight.
Looks pretty much like the pc version that came out within a year of the ps1 version already with enhanced graphics, sound and functionality and which was already ported/"remastered" again with cheats for steam & current consoles in late 2013 (with ff7 getting the same treatment earlier).

So you'd call this a re-re-remaster? FF8 Reee.

A FF8 remake similar to the one they're making for FF7 is likely in the cards.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom