Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

RaptorRex888

Learned
can tell anyone what me is problem is? i just went and then they saw what they do it happened when, what mean does that? Game wont fucking save now.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I consider this to be a massive improvement. Stacking stupid amounts of long-lasting prebuffs is dumb.

An AD&D fanatic gronard and medieval fantasy fanboy was teaching a class on Bioware, known action-adventure studio

”Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Bioware and accept that it was the best rpg developer world has ever known, even greater than Troika!”

At this moment, a brave, innovative, pro-crowdfunding Ars Magica game master who played 1500 hours of Pillars of Eternity and understood the necessity of streamlining and fully supported all design decisions made by Josh Sawyer to eliminate prebuffing stood up and held up a copy of BG2.

”What is this, pinhead?”

The arrogant professor smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied “The best RPG ever made, you stupid larper”

”Wrong. It doesn't even have C&C. If it was the best, as you say, RPG… then it should have been balanced”

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his chalk and copy of D&D 2nd edition. He stormed out of the room crying those kensai-mage crocodile tears. The same tears kensai-mages cry for the “itemisation” (who today have such selection that most own 23 unique swords) when they jealously try to claw justly earned auto-attacks from the deserving martial classes. There is no doubt that at this point our professor, Edwin, wished he had learned another ruleset and become more than a nostalgiafag. He wished so much that he had an in-game gamepedia, but he himself had petitioned against them!

The students applauded and all registered as fig backers that day and accepted Feargus Urquhart as their lord and savior. An eagle named “Obsidian” flew into the room and perched atop director's board and shed a tear on the chalk. The pillars of Eternity gameguide was read several times, and Tim Cain himself showed up and announced a new IP.

The professor lost his tenure and was fired the next day. He died of The Awakening and was tossed into the In-Between for all eternity.

Watcher of Caed Nua.

RPG Codex POTTY (Post of the Year).

TNHAW
F
F

The Real Fanboy

giphy.gif

So no ultimate edition for PC?

Also, how do you guys think a third PoE game would pan out storywise? The second game's ending is pretty definitive imo, with not much being left untouched. They'll probably have to do something entirely new with it it, IF there'll ever be a third game.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Im good ol' days one would focus on perfecting ones craft when mastering the engine, but in current year they'll probably just switch to Unity now.

Codex Year of the Donut
how do I make my cleric(blackjacket/wael) not suck?
do priests just suck in PoE2? I didn't play one before, but most of my spells are shit.

Crichton

Prophet
do priests just suck in PoE2? I didn't play one before, but most of my spells are shit.

My first playthrough was with a Cleric (devoted/Eothas), Priest Xoti, Fighter Eder, Wizard Aloth and Paladin Pallagina. The cleric had a dex score of 2, wore the heaviest armor he could find and swung a flail at people. He'd usually cast one spell to open fights and then just use his fighter abilities. He was a reasonable warrior but got very little out of his priest spells until he got spiritual ally. Eventually he opened each fight with minor avatar which was nice. I would think your cleric would be more effective since Wael has a better spell selection but the defensive spells may not make that much difference; fighters are already pretty hardy.

Priest Xoti was pretty much ballast until she picked up devotions of the faithful (occasionally reaped bosses with her unique spell). However eventually she was the party's MVP with dismissal and hand of weal and woe. My current opinion is that deadfire priests are only useful for the endgame; either through the aforementioned spells or brilliant/salvation of time abuse.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, most of the priest powers do suck.

However Salvation of Time is crazy OP, particularly for short-lived, powerful effects (like cipher Ascension, fighter Unbending for example.. also great for stuff like monk's Thunderous Blows and flurry).
Can create crazy combos with that, Barring the Death's Door and Berserk-style characters.

Can also create endless immortality loops with those powers and Brilliant (for example from Cipher).

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've still been really enjoying Deadfire. (Turn-based, I'm talking about.) I think it's an excellent game, actually. And now that I understand the build system a bit better and have gotten the "simmy" sense of D20 out of my mind when I'm building, and just looking at the way the various factors are balanced, it's actually a pretty neat system that's quite intuitive to build with, and I think they definitely improved on POE.

I also started a new game in POE just to compare the two games. My god, the visual soup in POE makes it almost unplayable. I remember being put off by it at the time, after the initial excitement of a new "pro" isometric CRPG wore off, but I'd forgotten. Basically, when all the spells and fx are flying, it's just white noise. I'm amazed that the developers let it come out in that condition.

By contrast, POE2 (at least in turn-based mode) is much, much clearer to "read" visually, in every way, and therefore to get a handle on what's going on, and therefore to learn to build and play better.

I think I still prefer P:K overall, mainly because of the epic over-arching story, but it's much closer than I originally thought, and I'm loving the sheer polish of Deadfire too (by comparison, while P:K is no slouch, you can tell it just had less money put into it).

Also, playing a bit of POE again reminds me of why I always only ever tolerated RTWP, even in BG and BGII. (And why I landed on TOEE like a starving man when it came out.)

The only way to play RTWP that makes any sense is to "pause after ability used," but then why isn't the game just turn-based to start with? I suppose it's actually quite good fun to wind 'em up and watch 'em go with the AI on easier difficulties, but that's only really doable with bunches of trash mobs, and it gets old after the novelty wears off anyway. Otherwise, pausing manually just irks me because I've no idea precisely where in the cycle of things I am when I'm pausing. If the systems were such that there were no "cycles" as such, and your character could immediately stop what it was doing and switch (action/animation) to your command in a natural way, then RTWP would make sense, but I think this hybrid thing, where your command doesn't take hold until your character has finished what it was doing in its cycle, is just a waste of everyone's time.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Also, playing a bit of POE again reminds me of why I always only ever tolerated RTWP, even in BG and BGII. (And why I landed on TOEE like a starving man when it came out.)

The only way to play RTWP that makes any sense is to "pause after ability used," but then why isn't the game just turn-based to start with? I suppose it's actually quite good fun to wind 'em up and watch 'em go with the AI on easier difficulties, but that's only really doable with bunches of trash mobs, and it gets old after the novelty wears off anyway. Otherwise, pausing manually just irks me because I've no idea precisely where in the cycle of things I am when I'm pausing. If the systems were such that there were no "cycles" as such, and your character could immediately stop what it was doing and switch (action/animation) to your command in a natural way, then RTWP would make sense, but I think this hybrid thing, where your command doesn't take hold until your character has finished what it was doing in its cycle, is just a waste of everyone's time.
Have you played P:K with the TB mod? How does it compare?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Have you played P:K with the TB mod? How does it compare?

Well I might be biased but I think P:K with the turn-based mod is absolutely sublime. Especially since you can slip in and out of it at will, so play with RTWP when it's just trash mobs, and enjoy a bit of chaos, then get into the meat and potatoes with turn-based when it's more difficult combats.

The fact that the turn-based system is "fixed" with Deadfire is a bit of a minus for me, by comparison. But Deadfire is definitely fun to play with turn-based, you just have to get used to recovery/reload being basically switched for initiative (which is fairly easy to get your head around really).

Another downside of the Deadfire system compared to P:K is that you can't (so far as I know) delay your move to be after a specific character, which is something you can do with P:K that makes turn-based play very flexible and powerful, as it's easy to set up little synergies (e.g., typically, delay your move till you've gotten a buff from another character, or your Freebooter's marked an enemy, that type of thing).

That said, I'm no expert on the Pathfinder system, and I have no idea what corners have had to be cut with the rules, how possible it is to make it authentic to tabletop, etc., etc., all I know is it's great fun for me.

Last edited:
I'm having a lot of fun playing through PoE 1 after beating Deadfire. My understanding of the game's world and mechanics somehow retroactively enhances my enjoyment and understand of the first game.

Prime Junta

Can you still do the trick of firing 4 arqubuses in quick succesion?i wanna make an arquebus build.

Yep. You'll need to go fighter (black jacket) or dual fighter/rogue or fighter/ranger. I'd go with black jacket/sharpshooter. There are some pretty badass guns in the game too. There's even a soulbound arquebus. There are some items that'll give you extra weapon slots too but it's still capped at 4.

https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Black+Jacket
https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Sharpshooter
https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Quick+Switch
https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Arms+Bearer

(If you don't have your heart completely set on arquebuses though you can make a pirate that shoots eight pistols or blunderbusses in quick succession -- they can be dual-wielded, so with four weapon sets you get eight of them without having to reload.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Can you still do the trick of firing 4 arqubuses in quick succesion?i wanna make an arquebus build.

Not in TB. Iirc there is only one attack action and one shot. 2 shots when dual wielding. No matter how fast your reload or weapon switch are you'll still end up with the same rate of fire, even amazing gun with 2 shots per reload shoots only once in TB and gives initiative bonus for the next round.

Codex Year of the Donut
Black jacket is still really(probably too) good in TB because you can switch to a sword+shield at the end of your turn for free. Anything else(e.g., switching to whispers when you can AoE, switching for weakness, etc.,) is just icing compared to that.
The weak constant regeneration hurts a bit at the start though.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera

Priests are only good when the spells that matter hit both your heavy hitters and the enemy at the same time,

Basically they shine when your party is melee-heavy or at least your main dps is melee

Efe

Erudite
above would make for an easier solo run right? is that the point?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom