Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

Covenant

Savant
What is OpenXcom?
OpenXcom is an open-source clone of the original UFO: Enemy Unknown

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Differences_to_X-COM_(OpenXcom)

OpenXcom is modelled after the original X-COM and enhances the game experience dramatically. Many features were inspired by UFO Extender and XcomUtil while others are original.
I sure am glad Mythos Games made all these improvements.

They aren't going to re-write major parts of the gameplay mechanics so that you don't have to hunt the last few enemies.

Also you're quoting a wiki that has nothing to do with the project. The actual goals are.

The goal of the project is to bring back the tried and true feel of the original with none of the issues. All the same graphics, sound and gameplay with a brand new codebase written from scratch. This should give it:

• Fixability: Play the game natively without any need for emulators or fancy hacks, with none of the limitations and bugs that plagued the original. No more 80-item-limit, personnel limits, funding overflows, disconnected facilities, broken proximity grenades, floating soldiers, etc.
  • Moddability: Tweak the game to your heart’s content. Sure the original was pretty good, but maybe you just think it could be that bit better. A nicer base layout, better laser weapons, maybe challenge yourself with a custom game mode, or just put in all the crazy stuff you’ve always wanted! None of it is hardcoded.
  • Flexibility: Port the game to any platform you like, customize it to your liking, or use it to make your own far-fetched remakes. The code is fully documented and open-source so anyone can take a crack at it.
  • So unless you think it was a bug its not getting changed.

Covenant

Savant
Nothing to do with the project? It lists dozens of improvements - not bugs getting changed, literal improvements (unless screenshot functionality, mouse-wheel support, Autosave and Ironman mode not existing were 'bugs'?) - that they've already made. Take a couple of examples.

• Can use special abilities of mind-controlled aliens.
  • Melee weapons can be used for reaction fire (Stun rods, Chryssalids, Zombies, Reapers, etc).
  • The limit on units has been removed, allowing 23 or more soldiers to assault alien bases.
  • Can cancel out enemy's mind-control with your own.
  • At the end of the mission, ammo from clips is totalled, so you only lose enough clips to match the total ammo used (as opposed to losing any used clip)
They're just the hard-coded changes, it's not even touching the optional ones, like the option to have alien weapons self-destruct when their owner dies, or Psi Strength being able to be improved through use.

You appear to be implying that improving the annoyance of tracking down that last mob (however they do it - there are obviously several potential methods) would go so far above and beyond all the changes and options above that it would not fall within the purview of the OXCE team, because it's such a 'major part of the gameplay mechanics'. If that's your opinion, fine, but it seems a pretty silly one to me.

Nothing to do with the project? It lists dozens of improvements - not bugs getting changed, literal improvements (unless screenshot functionality, mouse-wheel support, Autosave and Ironman mode not existing were 'bugs'?) - that they've already made.

These don't affect gameplay

• Can use special abilities of mind-controlled aliens.
  • Melee weapons can be used for reaction fire (Stun rods, Chryssalids, Zombies, Reapers, etc).
  • The limit on units has been removed, allowing 23 or more soldiers to assault alien bases.
  • Can cancel out enemy's mind-control with your own.
  • At the end of the mission, ammo from clips is totalled, so you only lose enough clips to match the total ammo used (as opposed to losing any used clip)

These are "bugs and limitations". Not needing to clean out maps is a huge, huge change from the original gameplay. Part of the difficulty of X-Com is knowing that the last few enemies hiding in a corner is probably going to kill some of your guys point blank with reaction fire.

Covenant

Savant
Just to be clear, you're classing potential changes that would ease clearing maps - say, for arguments' sake, having the remaining non-leader/commander enemies gain awareness of your position kamikaze rush you once there are less than 10% of their original number remaining - as a bigger change from the original gameplay than having alien weapons self-destruct? Or than the Sneaky AI that has the aliens specifically try to avoid being seen by your troops?

Just to be clear, you're classing potential changes that would ease clearing maps - say, for arguments' sake, having the remaining non-leader/commander enemies gain awareness of your position kamikaze rush you once there are less than 10% of their original number remaining

That's basically what already happens post-turn 20. In both original x-com and openxcom (original x-com being a bit buggier and more likely to just get stuck doing nothing).

- as a bigger change from the original gameplay than having alien weapons self-destruct? Or than the Sneaky AI that has the aliens specifically try to avoid being seen by your troops?

These are optional features. They also make the game harder as opposed to easier.

Covenant

Savant
Just to be clear, you're classing potential changes that would ease clearing maps - say, for arguments' sake, having the remaining non-leader/commander enemies gain awareness of your position kamikaze rush you once there are less than 10% of their original number remaining

That's basically what already happens post-turn 20. In both original x-com and openxcom (original x-com being a bit buggier and more likely to just get stuck doing nothing).

True, though I've found it very unreliable (though I play more mods than the original lately). Given that it's recognised as a common problem, however, it could still stand to be improved in various ways.

- as a bigger change from the original gameplay than having alien weapons self-destruct? Or than the Sneaky AI that has the aliens specifically try to avoid being seen by your troops?

These are optional features. They also make the game harder as opposed to easier.

I don't see that it being optional really changes things. They could make whatever improvements they wish part of the optional feature set as well. Plenty of those (like InstantGrenade, AlienBleeding and Strafe) make the game easier as well.

Do we even disagree? I don't think it's likely they'll change it myself, but I do think it's pretty undeniable that the ones in the position to do so are the OXCE team rather than Mythos Games.

And who knows, perhaps they'll surprise me. They keep talking about adding in those mini-hangers/multiple vehicles per hanger, after all.

Well the OXCE team is different from the OpenXcom team. OXCE is the "add cool stuff, especially stuff for modders" group. OpenXcom is about keeping original gameplay + porting over the features that Xcomutil and UFO Extender had rather than attempting to innovate.

Endemic

Arcane
Even if you don't use the gameplay changes from OXCE, QoL features like auto-sell, additional hotkeys and UFO landing alerts (if a previously detected UFO still in your radar range lands, you get a new popup) are nice to have.

I have used bug hunt mode before, in situations like finding the last panicked alien on a cruise ship (those missions are long enough as it is). It's pretty rare for enemies to get stuck otherwise with Openxcom. Maybe a Triscene gets spawned in a closet once in a blue moon.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Is there maximum turn limit for tactical battles?

I'm doing enemy base assault on Piratez, but there's this boss who seems to be impervious against most gear that I have and getting a good shot with arcing weapon like cannon or ballista is somewhat tricky indoors.
Now I'm trying to haul whatever isn't nailed down to exit zones.

I don’t think so...don’t play piratez so I don’t what, if any, changes they made. I do recall in vanilla, after turn 20 or so, the locations of your units is revealed to the aliens. If there is a hardcoded limit it’s gotta be some number you’d never realistically reach.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I do recall in vanilla, after turn 20 or so, the locations of your units is revealed to the aliens
Wouldn't that allow blaster launcher armed foes to instakill your troopers?
I think the game just changes enemy pathfindind to search more aggressively after that 20 turn limit.

Anyways, eventually that boss ran out of ammo and my galls managed to bring him down on close combat.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
For next time stock up on some WP (Willie Pete, white phosphorous) grenades if you can find them, they burn through armor (even powered). Later on you have assault and light assault cannons that can take WP shells that can bust through hard targets until you get to stronger weapons. Barring that, yeah wacking them on the head is the way to go. Bring smoke nades to help with that if needed.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
For next time stock up on some WP (Willie Pete, white phosphorous) grenades if you can find them, they burn through armor (even powered). Later on you have assault and light assault cannons that can take WP shells that can bust through hard targets until you get to stronger weapons. Barring that, yeah wacking them on the head is the way to go. Bring smoke nades to help with that if needed.
Unfortunately I didn't have contacts to buy WPs yet.
I used lots of hallucinogen gas grenades instead of regular smokes; those made taking out riff-raff without sealed suits easier.
Problem with that Guildmaster (besides armour) was that he was wielding a shotgun, I had to draw his reaction fire as far away target as possible until he ran out of ammo.
Only then I dared to close distance.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Wouldn't that allow blaster launcher armed foes to instakill your troopers?
I think the game just changes enemy pathfindind to search more aggressively after that 20 turn limit.

Anyways, eventually that boss ran out of ammo and my galls managed to bring him down on close combat.

By turn 20 they would usually all panic.
Still, i don't know if it's true but i recall some nasty blaster launcher shoot from very far when assaulting the central command in bases (so probably around or later than turn 20)

Mustawd

Is there a way to have OpenXcom launch with the Steam app? I tried replacing the orginal executable with the OPenxcom one and renaming it to the orgiinal name, but this doesn't seem to do anything. Steam still launches dosbox and the orignial game.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=1609.0

I remember I did what the dude moriarty did, and it worked. Checked it on Steam right now and it starts the original game, so you can check how long you played and even take screenshots to upload.

Ok, thanks but i found out the solution.

- I downloaded the zip file of openxcom.
- Copy everything to the steam folder of xcom.
- Copy everything in xcom folder of steam folder to data folder.
- Change the openxcom.exe to dosbox.exe

This way it registers the time you've played on steam. It may not be important for many people but people like me might enjoy it.

Mustawd

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=1609.0

I remember I did what the dude moriarty did, and it worked. Checked it on Steam right now and it starts the original game, so you can check how long you played and even take screenshots to upload.

Ok, thanks but i found out the solution.

- I downloaded the zip file of openxcom.
- Copy everything to the steam folder of xcom.
- Copy everything in xcom folder of steam folder to data folder.
- Change the openxcom.exe to dosbox.exe

This way it registers the time you've played on steam. It may not be important for many people but people like me might enjoy it.

Nice! Thanks, this basically worked.

Dunno about a remake, but OpenApoc project is doing some pretty good advances. I hear the game is around 45% playable. You guys should like their page.

I would love to make a mod that makes its gameplay more like the originals, makes ground vehicles more useful and generally expands on lots of things.

lightbane

Arcane
Xcom-Files is nearly done with the 1.0 release. From what I've seen snooping through github files, it's very promising indeed. Would it be kosher if I made a reviews of sorts for that game and Piratez in the future?
They're not true rpgs since they lack romances, padding encounters and poor writing, but I'm sure they have enough qualities for RPGCodex's editorial to dedicate a review, no?

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Dunno about a remake, but OpenApoc project is doing some pretty good advances. I hear the game is around 45% playable. You guys should like their page.

I would love to make a mod that makes its gameplay more like the originals, makes ground vehicles more useful and generally expands on lots of things.
Pity most of the discussion related to OpenApoc takes place over Discord.

Xcom-Files is nearly done with the 1.0 release. From what I've seen snooping through github files, it's very promising indeed. Would it be kosher if I made a reviews of sorts for that game and Piratez in the future?
They're not true rpgs since they lack romances, padding encounters and poor writing, but I'm sure they have enough qualities for RPGCodex's editorial to dedicate a review, no?
I'd genuinely enjoy a good review of both mods, as would people unfamiliar with them, since neither developers seems to have done a good job in explaining just what they're going for with either, or detailing how it differs from vanilla X-Com.

Also, more exposure for good mods is always welcome.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron

:desu:There might be interesting total conversions if OpenApoc becomes a working thing.

Cael

Arcane
I thought OpenApoc was on hold due to problems with the dev staff? If it is back on track, that is superb news!

axx

Savant
The guy who programmed the engine for openapoc (Istrebitel) has been MIA for a long time. He did most of the work, burned out, called it 1.0 and probably hoped that would expose the project to enthusiasts who would fix his bugs.
Last time I played this half a year ago it kept crashing and was basically unplayable. Looking at the number of issues piling up on github and no one to address them (only 60 forks) I'm not getting my hopes up. It's not getting the exposure it needs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom