Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Quillon

Arcane
Donno much about bikes but that bike looks impractical aerodynamically with its rider's on it :P

Sykar

Arcane
I want to be a sex cyborg

hqdefault.jpg

ChildInTime

Learned
"if you replace your body parts with robot parts....are you still human?"

So what's the difference between a robot arm and a prosthesis, or even a wig? Unless the arm has its own mind otherwise I don't see how it make me less human.

I could imagine it would take its toll on the mind hence the cyberpsychosis stuff.

My own theory is that the robot parts is very hard to control properly thus requires you have some extra modification to your brain and nervous systems so you can use the more advance robot parts. So the more you replace the more you have to mess your own brain the make it work. And eventually you think like a machine because your brain was altered to work like machines to control all the robot bits.

Not sure how it can be applied to the protagonist since we players will always be human and think like human.
That's basically how it's written in the tabletop. They have some neural-link like shit installed in the brain to allow people to control their cybernetics. Also cyberpsychosis is something that happens when you gradually replace your body parts, but if for example they put a brain in a full borg body, it adapts much better and you don't lose humanity... somehow.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-post-launch-multiplayer-still-may-not-happen

Cyberpunk 2077's post-launch multiplayer still may not happen
"If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit."

When Cyberpunk 2077 arrives next year, it will be a single-player game - on that, developer CD Projekt Red has been clear. But what happens after that? The studio has said it has a team messing around with a multiplayer portion, after all.

With CD Projekt bringing back this year's E3 single-player demo at Gamescom (enjoyable to watch a second time, but not new), my thoughts turned to what else the studio was up to - especially after the recent comments by CD Projekt Red exec Adam Kiciński confirming 40 people were working on multiplayer, not to mention some kind of early focus already on the next big Cyberpunk game, due after that.

Speaking today at Gamescom, CD Projekt Red senior concept artist Marthe Jonkers told me Cyberpunk 2077's multiplayer still wasn't nailed on. The small team building it is still in R&D - and there was no pressure to force something which did not feel right.

"We are doing R&D into multiplayer but we're focusing on single-player experience, and that's what you'll get in 2020," Jonkers told me. "It doesn't mean we're saying no multiplayer, but it doesn't mean we're saying yes either. It's still an R&D phase."

This phrase of being in "R&D" is one we've heard before - back at E3 2018, for example - although some kind of multiplayer component for Cyberpunk 2077 has been talked of in vague terms for far longer. CD Projekt Red boss Adam Badowski told Eurogamer all the way back in 2013 the studio was planning "multiplayer features" in the game. What we've never heard, however, is what this multiplayer portion might look like.

"If you add multiplayer functions it has to be right," Jonkers continued. "Immersion is super important for us and we have to make sure everything fits together. The single-player experience, it all fits together. We're not just going to slap some [multiplayer] feature in and that'll be it.

"It's possible if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. We would never make anything that's not at least The Witcher standard for Cyberpunk. I don't know what the future holds but we will make sure everything we make will be high quality."

CD Projekt has expanded significantly over the past few years, nearly doubling in size to around 400 people - which is why the studio has the people power to experiment. It's also necessary, Jonkers said, for the more complex systems in Cyberpunk which come from having a far more open-ended character and story.

"The Witcher team was around 200, I don't know the exact number. But we're now around 400, so we can do a lot more - and that's what we're doing with Cyberpunk," Jonkers concluded. "The Witcher was an open-world game, but now we have an open-world game with a whole different freedom of gameplay.

"The Witcher had Geralt and you stuck with this character, his fighting style, his relationships, his background. With this game we're adding in this freedom with your character, what kind of relationships you want to engage in, a story which branches out in different directions, and multiple endings. A lot more ambitious, but a lot bigger team."

https://www.pcgamesn.com/cyberpunk-2077/keanu-reeves-character

Cyberpunk 2077 devs say “there’s a part of Keanu” in Johnny Silverhand
cyberpunk-2077-keanu-reeves-580x334.jpg

CD Projekt Red brought us one of the most memorable moments of E3 2019 when Keanu Reeves stepped onto the Microsoft stage and revealed his role in Cyberpunk 2077 as Johnny Silverhand. He’s one of the most prominent characters in the game – with more dialogue than any other NPC, in fact – and it seems that Keanu brought a bit of himself to the role.

“When [Keanu] played Johnny Silverhand,” senior concept artist Marthe Jonkers tells us in an interview at Gamescom. “he also had his own ideas about ‘this is what Johnny would say’ or ‘he would sound like this’. It was more of a collaboration than us telling him ‘please do it like this’. So there’s a part of Keanu in there.”

Besides injecting himself into the role of Johnny, Keanu also took the extra mile when meeting the CD Projekt Red team. “He’s a really cool guy, that’s for sure. He did send a video to our whole team, a personal message to the team which was really, really nice.”

We look forward to eventually bringing you more concrete detail on Cyberpunk 2077 in the near future, but in the meantime I will never pass up an opportunity to write about Keanu Reeves being cool.

The Cyberpunk 2077 release date is scheduled for April 16, 2020, and you can follow that link for a big breakdown of everything we know so far.

Zer0wing

Cipher
I don't understand how would question marks work in a city environment with muh verticality since the map is plain image.

Zer0wing

Cipher
There are people who waste hours of their life standing in a queue just to watch gameplay that will be publicly available in ~9days
There are dumber people - visiting an expo in autumm to waste their lives, standing in a queue just to watch gameplay that is available since late august.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...ool-hacker-stealth-game-gamescom2019-preview/

Cyberpunk 2077 might secretly be a cool hacker stealth game

Reader, I often tire quickly of the bangs. The shooties. The click click booms. I think it’s because damn near every action game has guns, but not many developers make shooters really bloody good. And indeed, I agree with Matt that, at least from what we’ve seen so far, the guns in Cyberpunk 2077 look mostly like floaty number generators.

And yet, as was pointed out to me by a developer, Cyberpunk 2077 is not a shooter. It is an RPG. Having seen this year’s hands-off demo, though, I think you can make a pretty good case that it’s actually a stealth game.

The almost-an-hour video of CD Prjoekt Red’s upcoming cyber-bonanza is much better than last year’s. Even though the hands-off demos are still very clearly tightly rehearsed performances, this time it feels much less cinematic and closer to what it might be like to actually play. This is in part because it shows off contrasting ways of playing. You can choose backgrounds and skills for your version of protagonist V that shape not only potential dialogue options (a street kid background might give different options when chatting to gang members, for example) but also your approach to the levels.

The demo switches between a netrunner hacker type with a corporate background, and a punchy shooty strong girl with machine hands that can rip off doors. Whatever about the latter, to be honest. But I do not mind that a big turret machine gun bastard has the same impact as a pistol.

See, a lotta games can have a strong character build that can rip through walls and hit hard, and are really good at shootin’ stuff, but high-tech future dystopia settings open up cool options for non-combat combat. So why wouldn’t you want to do that? In the demo V is sent to an abandoned mall that is not so abandoned, and sneaks past gangsters by making an automated robot sparring partner punch too hard. By causing a computerised weightlifting machine to crush the person using it. By sending cans of soda rattling out of a vending machine.

That’s pretty cool and all, and I like the imagination of this way more than pointing and pulling a trigger. But those are sleeker, more advanced variants of stuff we’ve seen before, even with the hacker flavour. But when V first connected to the mall’s local network to force open a locked door, they also triggered an alarm for an enemy netrunner who was already in the system. This netrunner started running interference. They started trying to get in V’s head. Oh, yes.

Then, right at the end, we saw a bit of cyberspace realised as a place your mind can inhabit and, well, sort of walk around in. Imagine the possibilities! Duelling with other netrunners as screaming lines of code. Creeping around a building hacking as few things as possible to try to limit access to a rival’s network. Yes, yes, plug it into my technologically enhanced veins, you bastards.

My feelings here may be affected by the fact I played a hacker character in my Shadowrun pen and paper RPG. Another player was my best friend – a troll called Biscuit – who carried me around in a sort of giant baby sling while I was fully jacked into the network. I digress.

I know I am getting excited about a thing that’s existence is, at best, only half supported by what we know about Cyberpunk 2077 right now. But the fact remains that the stealth and hacking looked far more accomplished and creative and interesting than any of the shooting and punching, or the big boss who telegraphed her slow hammer attacks. Possibly because that sort of fully integrated hacking of things, and dicking around in minds made of computer, is something few games can have running through the bone marrow of their setting.

It’s also fair to say that players respond really well to options, and to games that reward their creativity. Think of the Swiss cheese level design of Hitman, places full of different holes leading you to different bits, or the way reactions can chain into more reactions in Original Sin 2, doing things that you didn’t even know you could, but that the game allows for. Giving players robust tools and asking them to build a weird sculpture of their own design.

So I hope that Cyberpunk does actually do that. I hope that levels have more than one way to do hacking and stealth, more than one way to brute force. Because if not then it’d feel a bit like painting by numbers trying to pass itself off as some kind of masterpiece. And they may as well have made it a really bloody good shooter instead.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Is Keanu Reeves the coolest man on the planet?

Dis fucking cuss!

Yeah baby, getting excited!!

Been 20 years since I had a hard-on, but this is definitively going to happen tonight, I am going to live extraordinary something today

Leorgrium

Educated
15 min :(

Hey everyone!

We’re in Cologne, Germany, and gamescom is in full swing — we’ve already met with so many wonderful community members! For those of you at home — wherever home is — well, we’re not forgetting about you either.

Next week we’re going to host a stream during which we’ll unveil a 15-minute edit of what we’ve been showing to journalists and gamers here at gamescom, and then interview devs from the studio for additional information on what you just saw. Expect a lot of insight into the thought process behind creative decisions, information about Pacifica—one of the districts of Night City—and TONS of stuff on playstyles you’ll be able to adopt when you launch Cyberpunk 2077 next year.

This stream will be available for everyone to watch, so all of you, wherever you are, have a chance to feel a bit of gamescom — or any other trade show — at home. Hosting the entire thing will be our very own Hollie Bennett, our UK head of comms, and the dev line up will include some familiar faces you know and like.

There’s one additional announcement we have for you: we initially planned to showcase gameplay at PAX West, but there’s been a change of plans, and we’ll be streaming from Warsaw. The PAX cosplay contest is still on; we just won’t have the dev panel on-site this time around. There are many logistical (and some creative) reasons behind this decision, but the most important thing we want to say is that we’re sorry for the change of plans. We know that many of you waited to meet us face to face in Seattle and it bums us out that we won’t be able to see each other there.

Watch the stream August 30th, 8PM CEST (11AM PT) on the official CD PROJEKT RED Twitch and Mixer channels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom