Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

SlamDunk

Arcane
From the KCD art book:

rigdc998cue31.png

Warhorse Studios said:
Even the evolution of the title of our game was complicated. We started with the working title Hammerheart (after the eponymous album by the Swedish metal band Bathory, due to the hero being blacksmith), later switched to 1403 and finally took a poll on several proposals that resulted in selection of the name Deliverance for the first game and Kingdom Come for the series.

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Finally started full DLCed hardcore playthrough. I love not being able to see myself on the map, thus making me pay attention much more.

Really ridiculously pretty and atmospheric game. Only the characters and their animations need lot of work for sequel.

379430_20190815141403jnkv8.png

379430_201908151348575ljkd.png

Paul_cz

Arcane
Hmm, 8 hours in I encountered three glitches so far:

- cannot zoom the map to max level in Rattay, so I cannot see the detailed map there. In Talmberg, Skalitz etc it zooms normally
- during dialogue with Stephanie the camera was staring into the wall for some reason
- during hunting hares against Hans I saw one hare disappear into the ground, so I went look closer and fell into the ground myself

Nothing gamebreaking, but annoying.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Only the characters and their animations need lot of work for sequel.
Non-player-character artifical intelligence, especially. The unresponsiveness of NPCs, for one, is sometimes both incredibly frustrating and embarrassing.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Confirmed as lemming.
LOL
I wanted to confirm that it was a bug, but...yes

On the other hand on second try I managed to shoot some 14 rabbits and Hans paid me, yay

And then he proceeded to run away on his horse to hunt some boars and I lost him because I wanted to stash some meat, and then finding him was quite fun in hardcore mode without map marker, took me about 15 minutes.

Now I am supposed to find the asshole ginger guy, but first I will go to Rattay to sell some bandit loot and do some sidequests finally.

And the map zoom glitch is gone too, I can zoom rattay map properly. So nice.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I know the word immersive is a kinda buzzword on codex, but fuck if there ever was a game that deserved that word, it is this one (and STALKER trilogy and RDR2).
I just arrived in Skalitz again to find some treasure Kunes told me about, only to realize I need a shovel and do not have one. But instead I found three dead bodies here of some guards with lot of great equip, so I take it all and both me and my horse are overstuffed. So I can only walk, cannot even get on my horse, it is middle of the night, Henry is sleepy and I have to walk slowly to another town where I can unload the stuff...

And I do not even mind. It is so....immersive that I do not mind walking for 40 minutes at excrutiating speed just looking at stars and trying to navigate by them (hardcore mode) while avoiding any conflict.

Anyway few more shots from my previous adventures (loved Sazava and the quests there, particularly that asshole Charlatan)

379430_20190818235610osj7y.png

379430_201908182142028rjov.png

379430_20190817094745zxjef.png

379430_20190817122434kok64.png

Efe

Erudite
burned out at monastery part...
i infiltrate/invade the monastery to find the guy, capture the guy but the fucknig scripter didnt account for free form gameplay so it amounts to nothing.
thank god game was a gift or i would be feeling that buyers remorse so badly.

Monastery is the shittiest part of the game, there is no way I will ever do that quest "proper" way. Vavras' tendency to include mundane realistic details adds its own charm but it's a double edged sword alright. It also ends up wasting your time on boring bullshit, this was true back in Mafia 1 days.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
There was a quest requiring dog skin...can we skin it?

Btw. where did you guys get your dog skins? I remember taking it off a dog that I must have previously accidentally ran over with the horse that I was fortunate enough to notice the loot/body on the streets of Uzhitz much later. Saved me from intentionally killing a dog :P

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Any tips to getting this to run smoothly on an Intel Core i5 4690K 3.9 GHz/GTX 1970-based system without sacrificing much visual quality? It really seems to run like ass no matter what I do. I'd be happy with just 45 FPS (constant) and one guy claimed on Steam he had it running on his i5/GTX 1070 rig with all details maxed and it never dipped below 60 FPS. I realized then that he was clinically insane. The way KCD just chugs and micro-stutters makes me not enthusiastic about playing it. I've got the latest build + all DLCs, and it's running from an SSD.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The monastery quest was improved with some patches. They've ironed out some (but not all) of the minor bugs, and this time I actually managed to
confront Pious without getting poisoned,
which may or may not be something that was patched in after release but nonetheless made the thing a whole lot more satisfying. Granted, on my current playthrough I did my best to not break anything before I started the actual monastery quest, and I knew where everything was and could finish the whole thing in a couple of in-game days. In short, I probably did it in the exact way that it was intended. For first-time players it'll probably still feel like a chore.

I wanted to love the quest because the idea is fantastic and there undoubtedly was a ton of effot put into it, but it really is the point of the game where your enthusiasm starts to wane and you realize that the devs tried to bite off a bit more than they could chew. It's a bit of a KotOR 2 kind of plunge from the monastery onwards, just more coherent — it's like a rollercoaster ride of detached set-pieces and half-realized ideas, but at least the story makes some kind of sense.

Btw. where did you guys get your dog skins? I remember taking it off a dog that I must have previously accidentally ran over with the horse that I was fortunate enough to notice the loot/body on the streets of Uzhitz much later. Saved me from intentionally killing a dog :P
Bought it from a tanner. With A Woman's Lot installed it's easier to find dog skins since bandits often have guard dogs in their camps.

Horses are dangerous animals for sure. With the Race Horse perk and a tier 5 horse I've managed to murder at least two guards before I could even see them.

Any tips to getting this to run smoothly on an Intel Core i5 4690K 3.9 GHz/GTX 1970-based system without sacrificing much visual quality? It really seems to run like ass no matter what I do. I'd be happy with just 45 FPS (constant) and one guy claimed on Steam he had it running on his i5/GTX 1070 rig with all details maxed and it never dipped below 60 FPS. I realized then that he was clinically insane. The way KCD just chugs and micro-stutters makes me not enthusiastic about playing it. I've got the latest build + all DLCs, and it's running from an SSD.
I run it on i5 and GTX 1060, and I get rock-solid 60 FPS everywhere I go. I use custom settings with most stuff set to Medium or High, Motion Blur disabled and the draw distance sliders set somewhere around the middle. I could probably go even higher with some settings but never felt the need to do that. The only real annoyance is the texture pop-in inside towns, as I don't have the game installed on an SSD. The game looks like Prosper's nightmare at times, although only for a couple of seconds.

It is a mystery, I guess.

Last edited:

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
The game is most demanding on the CPU and Memory. GPU is not such a problem really.
Are you sure you have enough RAM? Have you tried SSD? Isn't any other process making some of your CPU cores busy?

Efe

Erudite
were you the one? why doesnt it acknowledge when you kidnap the guy without being a monk?

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
were you the one? why doesnt it acknowledge when you kidnap the guy without being a monk?
I just wanted to say you've mistaken the role of a designer for the role of a scripter. A scripter cannot create a part of quest that was not designed.
Why. Why indeed. There's about a thousand whys to ask about monastery alone. Whys that will never have a satisfying answer.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
The game is most demanding on the CPU and Memory. GPU is not such a problem really.
Are you sure you have enough RAM? Have you tried SSD? Isn't any other process making some of your CPU cores busy?

Yes, I have it on an SSI and I have 16GB ram using up-to-date Nvidia GPU drivers with adaptive power management in Nvidia control panel. I even have my cpu power scheme set to high performance. All other fairly recent games - from Watch Dogs 2 to Witcher 3 to Assassin's Creed Origins run smoothly on my rig at a constant 45-60 FPS.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
i infiltrate/invade the monastery to find the guy, capture the guy but the fucknig scripter didnt account for free form gameplay so it amounts to nothing.
It's unfortunate that the monastery section of Kingdom Come: Deliverance won't give you the option to correctly identify your target without proceeding through a series of boring, glitchy subquests, especially since it's possible to find a clue that all-but-explicitly states the identity of your target, if you
trespass into the Abbot's study and read the Abbot's private journal.
However, there's a way to circumvent the quest by simply choking out / stabbing the target, picking up the necessary item from his corpse, and continuing with the next stage of the main quest. +M

Efe

Erudite
i actually assumed it was designed better than this and somehow implementation ended up like this...
other quests were never this rigid.
i did read his journal knocking out everyone along the way but couldnt get target to follow me out... however hard that might have been with glitchy monks that dont die and just get up immediately if you reload.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
He's not wrong, that dense Cryengine grass makes CPUs weep. The GPU need is covered by any modern mid range card.

Barbalos

Savant
Yes, I have it on an SSI and I have 16GB ram using up-to-date Nvidia GPU drivers with adaptive power management in Nvidia control panel. I even have my cpu power scheme set to high performance. All other fairly recent games - from Watch Dogs 2 to Witcher 3 to Assassin's Creed Origins run smoothly on my rig at a constant 45-60 FPS.

I'm not familiar with this game and it's settings, but in NVIDIA control panel you generally always want Prefer maximum performance under the Power Management mode setting. I've noticed it make a significant positive difference over setting to adaptive or optimal and would only use those if I was concerned about power consumption or possibly temperature.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Metro, Prey (2017), Arma, Gothic 1/2, Twitcher3... to name a few more.
Sure those too, but STALKER, KCD and RDR2 are still a bit higher than those, at least for me.

I never get this, playing a game for dozens hours and then giving up because of one quest. Weak.

I'm not familiar with this game and it's settings, but in NVIDIA control panel you generally always want Prefer maximum performance under the Power Management mode setting. I've noticed it make a significant positive difference over setting to adaptive or optimal and would only use those if I was concerned about power consumption or possibly temperature.

Yep Max Performance is what I always set. I remember one time forgetting about it and AC Origins run like ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom