Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Are there any guyz who quit gaming entirely?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I'm considering my options. After gaming for around 30 years, the spark's just not there much any more. 'Sides, that the time isn't either. Life intrudes and beats the shit out of you as you get older. I used to try to spend 2-4 hours a day playing games in my teens and 20s. Now I'm lucky to get that per week. Kinda hard to have a passion for something you get so little time with, but then again, it makes what time you do get matter that much more.

So no divorce yet. I just think maybe we should try seeing other hobbies.

Bannerlord comes to Early Access in early 2020. and for the time being get Star Citizen.

Or ask Makkabb for other games that will completely turn the world around. Talking to the guy about those new games is always like

Games can be a black hole for your time. I find it infinitely easier to quit reading to do something rather than stopping a play session. Although the addiction problem mostly applies to online games. Nevertheless I don't think it is fair to say that games are just like any other hobby. For some people they can and do consume more time unintentionally.
Sure, if you are so weak willed that you can't control your gaming, maybe you should think about taking a break. But after a certain age, when you have other responsibilities, finding some time to game is more of a problem than having too much time. When you are working from 9-17, plus you have to deal with a lot of bullshit everywhere, having 30-60 minutes of gaming, where you can turn off the world around you is a blessing.

J_C you being to sound like the most grown up, grounded person on the Codex
rating_brofist.png

But somehow this makes me a bit sad too. I personally work only about 2 hours a day to have enough to live and can play whenever I want, and if you were an IT guy you could do that too. You should really find something to boost your career as you mentioned in the programming thread.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I rarely play anymore, there is like 2 or 3 games am looking forward to and all are RPGs, I lost all interest in playing other types of games. If I have free time I would rather train or attend classes to learn Latin dance, or take classes in mountain climbing. I am lucky that the place I moved to have all those places 5 min walk from my home. Sometimes I get nostalgic urge to play something old but then I would get super bored and delete it just as quickly. Such is life. Interests change as you grow up.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm considering my options. After gaming for around 30 years, the spark's just not there much any more. 'Sides, that the time isn't either. Life intrudes and beats the shit out of you as you get older. I used to try to spend 2-4 hours a day playing games in my teens and 20s. Now I'm lucky to get that per week. Kinda hard to have a passion for something you get so little time with, but then again, it makes what time you do get matter that much more.

So no divorce yet. I just think maybe we should try seeing other hobbies.

Bannerlord comes to Early Access in early 2020. and for the time being get Star Citizen.

Or ask Makkabb for other games that will completely turn the world around. Talking to the guy about those new games is always like

Games can be a black hole for your time. I find it infinitely easier to quit reading to do something rather than stopping a play session. Although the addiction problem mostly applies to online games. Nevertheless I don't think it is fair to say that games are just like any other hobby. For some people they can and do consume more time unintentionally.
Sure, if you are so weak willed that you can't control your gaming, maybe you should think about taking a break. But after a certain age, when you have other responsibilities, finding some time to game is more of a problem than having too much time. When you are working from 9-17, plus you have to deal with a lot of bullshit everywhere, having 30-60 minutes of gaming, where you can turn off the world around you is a blessing.

J_C you being to sound like the most grown up, grounded person on the Codex
rating_brofist.png

But somehow this makes me a bit sad too. I personally work only about 2 hours a day to have enough to live and can play whenever I want, and if you were an IT guy you could do that too. You should really find something to boost your career as you mentioned in the programming thread.

Thanks, I hope I can figure something out.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
I dont know anyone but NEETs who don't have to frequently take abstinence from videogames. Modern life in most countries is just way too busy

Deleted Member 16721

A God that would judge you to eternal damnation does not sound like a loving God I would want to follow. The true God loves you unconditonally and would never have you suffer in eternal torture.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
The worst cancer of gaming is grandstrategy/4x stuff, men. When I play rpgs or action games my playtime is around 5-10 hours per week, but if I get hooked into a strategy game it's a blackhole for my time. Just lost 40+ hours of life in two weeks when I discovered dominions last winter, same for endless legend a month ago.

Yeah, Endless Legend got me hooked good back in 2015. It's an insanely good game, but I haven't touched another strategy like that since.

Steedless

Novice
I wouldn't say I quit gaming because I still play them and probably always will, but I am mostly checked out of the modern gaming scene. I can't stand hype culture and I'm a lot more careful with the time and money I spend now.

Video games are very capable of being incredible experiences, it's just hard to find the ones that are.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think I was more addicted to gaming as such when videogames were new to me, and still mysterious in some way - when it seemed like there were vast, open horizons to the possibilities in gaming.

Now that it's all turned into a corporate shitshow like everything else (which I won't deny has benefits too), that possibility space seems to have closed down somewhat, so I'm less interested in the hobby than I was.

So I do play fewer games, less regularly. But though I play fewer games, I can still get addicted to good ones that crop up, or have a gaming jag now and then (I'm going through one at the moment with P:K and POE2, after not having played games much for the previous year).

I can't see myself not gaming ever though.

Melcar

Arcane
I definitely don't game as much as when I was in my grade school to University years. It's not that I don't have the time, but I would rather do other things. Most modern games do not interest me at all, and I can only replay my old classics so much. I still read gaming news and shitpost about games, be it discussing some old favorites or yelling at kids and telling them their taste in games is shit. I rarely play any single game more than 30 minutes now. However, actually quitting games, that just won't happen.

Deleted Member 16721

Man I'm 34 and I'll never quit gaming. I do have dry periods of no passion for it for a month or two at a time, but I always go back strong. I am still just as interested in it as when I was 10 years old. Some of you guys should try to get the childliike innocence back and just enjoy instead of being jaded about gaming.

Latro

Arcane
I'm much more picky on the games I'll play, if I'm not in love with the gameplay and I don't have any strong attachment to the story, themes, or whatever, I'll drop it and never look back.

Latro

Arcane
I don't follow the entire Bible literally. or religion for that matter. I just know God and his unconditional love.
He loves you unconditionally, unless you say he doesn't exist (which he totally set up the entire universe to look like).

Then you will be tortured forever.

Because love :love:
It's simple: either God grants those whom have Heaven eternal happiness by excluding those who do not (into Hell), or He suffers those whom are righteous and just to just another version of Earth where the wicked are among the just. There are other reasons, but this is one of them.

Frozen

Arcane
I replaced gaming with shitposting. At times I would like to play something but...just look at top 100 at thepiratebay…what's the point of robbery when nothing is worth taking.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I replaced gaming with shitposting. At times I would like to play something but...just look at top 100 at thepiratebay…what's the point of robbery when nothing is worth taking.
I agree gaming is depressing but you should give up on that Top 100, it is always terrible. People are plebs, mainstream, stupid dumb fucking plebs. If you have any sort of taste or standards then the Top 100 is no use, you have to find stuff mainstream normies have never heard of. There are some great games but it is mostly indie stuff you have to discover on codex or wherever.

I keep a "games to play soon" list. Some are not out yet, some are. A few are mainstream, but mostly they are lesser known gems in this ocean of crapness. Here's some of my list:

Hitman 2

Dota Underlords

legend of the five rings, CCG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvDpf6KPfdA&t=385s

Elona+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9gOQxHX83E&t=2s

Underrail. Expansion comes in August.

Bards Tale 4 - Expansion comes in August.

Subnautica. (Don't forget Speedhack)

Druidstone

Slay the Spire

Tactics ogre

Grimoire (manual is here: http://goldeneragames.com/Manual_GrimoireRPG_V2/)

Fall of Dungeon Guardians - (Completed this once, but do it again with a new party, fun game) Note: turn off trash fights and turn mapping on.

Space hulk tactics

Skylords Reborn (gets a server wipe once beta ends which is any month now)

Krondor, remake, sort of: Going to be 2025 ish
https://www.callofsaregnar.com/

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom