Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starsector - RT 2D indie space goodness

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
You would also enjoy Diable Avionics, my currently favourite mod. Not only are your capitals very capable battlecarriers with flicker cores and lots of missile spam, their fighters are deadly transforming mechs. Also Shadowyards has some pretty nice carriers and battle carriers, and really scary fighters.

Regarding D-Mods: it's just like the game says, reserved for special or rare ships. I think it's priced just right to make them meaningful so you couldn't easily remove them but not that expensive that you couldn't afford it at all. It seems to be priced at about the price of a mint condition ship from the market per D-Mod. And it's not like it's terribly hard to accumulate money in this game. A few shipment runs, a few decent bounties and you easily make a million. Also you can live with ships with one or two D-Mods, it's not the end of the world and also you're compensated by lowered maintenance costs.

hello friend

Arcane
What doesn't make sense is how little people will pay you for a ship. I get that it's about the game balance, but it gets pretty ridiculous. Half the sector is using half broken ships but even if you roll in with a ship in pristine condition in a setting where people don't even know how to make many of these things anymore you won't find any takers for even a quarter of the price unless you throw in lunch and a new car.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Much in this game makes little sense from a realism perspective. Pirate and luddic path grand armadas manifesting out of the aether every week. Constant massive bounty fleets every month whose combined rival the size of some faction fleets (and the bounties for bigger ones are enough to build entire planetary scale industries). Factions sending you to inspect specific drones in the middle of nowhere they have no reason to know about. Yeah, it's all largely a fun backdrop for the combat.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
What doesn't make sense is how little people will pay you for a ship. I get that it's about the game balance, but it gets pretty ridiculous. Half the sector is using half broken ships but even if you roll in with a ship in pristine condition in a setting where people don't even know how to make many of these things anymore you won't find any takers for even a quarter of the price unless you throw in lunch and a new car.
Look at it this way; you're selling it for a decent price, you're just being incredibly price gouged when you buy them.

But yeah it's definitely a balance issue. If you could buy a ship by just selling 2-3 of the same tier of ship, they'd need to make salvaging ships even rarer than it already is, which would be lame. The only other solution would be to add an extra cost to salvaging ships, but then you'd get situations where you can't salvage your own ship because you didn't bring enough supplies to do that or something.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is there a good 2D (Well might be 3D too I guess) game like Star Sector but with focus on flying one ship and with some story and quests added? I know about Space Zombies and Pirates but was looking for something more focused on exploration not combat? Was checking Beyond Gaya too but its Tittle and being made by Germans and has this danger hair wombyn/Degenerates/Junkies art style everywhere which makes me to suspect it might be SJW themed given that all Germans except Jarl and Jasede went fully SJW.

Codex Year of the Donut
Is there a good 2D (Well might be 3D too I guess) game like Star Sector but with focus on flying one ship and with some story and quests added? I know about Space Zombies and Pirates but was looking for something more focused on exploration not combat? Was checking Beyond Gaya too but its made by Germans and has this danger hair wombyn/Degenerates/Junkies art style everywhere which makes me to suspect it might be SJW themed given that all Germans except Jarl and Jasede went fully SJW.
I haven't played Starsector but you might be interested in

Art is a bit goofy, but it's pretty good.

Commissar Draco

Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is there a good 2D (Well might be 3D too I guess) game like Star Sector but with focus on flying one ship and with some story and quests added? I know about Space Zombies and Pirates but was looking for something more focused on exploration not combat? Was checking Beyond Gaya too but its made by Germans and has this danger hair wombyn/Degenerates/Junkies art style everywhere which makes me to suspect it might be SJW themed given that all Germans except Jarl and Jasede went fully SJW.

Yes Got this one its Cool game Comrade. Played this one a lot, its looks goofy but in good 80-90s way and so was looking for more games like this; Is Landinar: Into the Void any good? I like the options to customize the ship and art direction but heard it might be vapor-ware with tons of game braking bugs and abandoned by dews.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Yes Got this one its Cool game Comrade. Played this one a lot, its looks goofy but in good 80-90s way and so was looking for more game like this; Is Landinar: Into the Void any good? I like the options to customize the ship and art direction but heard it might be vapor-ware with tons of game braking bugs and abandoned by dews.

Maybe you'd like this one?

Commissar Draco

Patron

Yes Got this one its Cool game Comrade. Played this one a lot, its looks goofy but in good 80-90s way and so was looking for more game like this; Is Landinar: Into the Void any good? I like the options to customize the ship and art direction but heard it might be vapor-ware with tons of game braking bugs and abandoned by dews.

Looks promising, has good reviews and its cheap as dirt will try this one thanks Comrade.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Is there a good 2D (Well might be 3D too I guess) game like Star Sector but with focus on flying one ship and with some story and quests added? I know about Space Zombies and Pirates but was looking for something more focused on exploration not combat? Was checking Beyond Gaya too but its Tittle and being made by Germans and has this danger hair wombyn/Degenerates/Junkies art style everywhere which makes me to suspect it might be SJW themed given that all Germans except Jarl and Jasede went fully SJW.
I've had this:
on my backlog for ages. No idea if it even has a story.

Looks promising, has good reviews and its cheap as dirt will try this one thanks Comrade.

3030 death war is fun as far as I have played it, which is about 8 hours so far.

Other ones I have tried and liked okay:

Defiantly an indie game have only played like 6 hours but would rate 6.5/10 so far, not great, but not awful.

void expanse is on about the same level as star nomad 2, perhaps a tad bit higher quality if I remember right.

Endless sky is free. Similar to Transcendence, perhaps a tad bit better, although have played neither in over a year.

edit: none of them seem as deep or engaging as starsector I might add.

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Patron
I've had this:
on my backlog for ages. No idea if it even has a story.

Also looks cool will DL free part and then think about sponsoring devs by buying the payed DLCs if its suits me.

Then there are a few on my wish list which I have some hopes for, some are on early access although i have tried none of them even though they have high reviews so far:

and then a few more.

there are quite a few I guess. Maybe 1 or 2 will turn out decent. I guess stellar tactics looks the best to me at the moment

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Patron
I must admit its so many of them and most of them looks very similar its really hard to choose something. Stellar Tactics is 3D which is somewhat :decline: but it offers also tactical X-Com or given that you play as Space mercs JA2 like game play which is :incline: for me. Will watch for it and pick that one if its get ever complete, Thank you Comrades and Trannies for your recommendations. :salute:

rezaf

Cipher
Is there a mod that gives pirates at least a hint of balance?
I'm running in the situation AgentFransis described, pirates keep pounding hapless colonies (of basically all factions - at once) with gargantuan fleets.
Most systems have defenses consisting of a couple of capital ships backed up by one or two dozen destroyers and some minor vessels.
And then there's a pirate raid with 4 fleets, each with >10 capital ships, backed up by a gazillion of smaller craft. And two more such fleets hang out in hyperspace for good measure.

This kind of crap really sours me on the game - and it's not even my colonies, just the AI.
AND I've explored distant stars for the pirates until they became neutral and ignore me, so I can loot all the spoils of war generated by these battles.
So I'm profiteering, and it still sucks.

Damned Registrations

I'm running in the situation AgentFransis described, pirates keep pounding hapless colonies (of basically all factions - at once) with gargantuan fleets.
Most systems have defenses consisting of a couple of capital ships backed up by one or two dozen destroyers and some minor vessels.
And then there's a pirate raid with 4 fleets, each with >10 capital ships, backed up by a gazillion of smaller craft. And two more such fleets hang out in hyperspace for good measure.

This kind of crap really sours me on the game - and it's not even my colonies, just the AI.
AND I've explored distant stars for the pirates until they became neutral and ignore me, so I can loot all the spoils of war generated by these battles.
Have you considered maybe fighting the pirates instead of helping them? The colonies do a lot better if you take out the pirate bases that are raiding them.

Honestly pirates are generally pushovers. Their ships are battered to fuck and even in mint condition they'd still be garbage, they have terrible shields and weapons. I don't think I've ever seen one of these massive pirate armadas you guys are talking about. If anything it's the opposite- the pirate factions get fleets of nothing but destroyers and maybe some cruisers and when I go to make some rep off a system bounty there's nothing left to hunt because massive fleets from multiple factions are camping all the warp points.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Pirate invasion fleets in Starsector:

It is a question of trying to chase them all into one spot when you engage so you can fight all of them at once.

Now, if you sell the pirates some blueprints or a pristine nanoforge, then you can make things FUN!

(It is the same thing with colonies. They will get stronger if you help them in certain ways)

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Have you considered maybe fighting the pirates instead of helping them? The colonies do a lot better if you take out the pirate bases that are raiding them.

Honestly pirates are generally pushovers. Their ships are battered to fuck and even in mint condition they'd still be garbage, they have terrible shields and weapons. I don't think I've ever seen one of these massive pirate armadas you guys are talking about. If anything it's the opposite- the pirate factions get fleets of nothing but destroyers and maybe some cruisers and when I go to make some rep off a system bounty there's nothing left to hunt because massive fleets from multiple factions are camping all the warp points.

I've noticed A LOT of pirates as well but as you said, their armadas are garbage that will blow up from a light breeze. It's annoying to play popamole with pirate bases every month though.

Commissar Draco

Patron
Pirate invasion fleets in Starsector:

It is a question of trying to chase them all into one spot when you engage so you can fight all of them at once.

Now, if you sell the pirates some blueprints or a pristine nanoforge, then you can make things FUN!

(It is the same thing with colonies. They will get stronger if you help them in certain ways)

In my play the pirates are like we pop onto the star system and got gang banged by faction fleets and independent bounty hunters but again I never help them out nor do anything to destabilize colonies like doing smuggling. And this is why I geared my fleet for exploration and Surveying its lot more steady income than pirate bounties.

Black

Arcane
So about that much lauded mod scene of the game... you guys do realize that more than half of the "top 10" mods were made by the same guy? Who still hasn't updated dynasector to the latest version, as an example.
As if Codex's games weren't proof enough that one autist is more than enough.

rezaf

Cipher

I have indeed considered that. And I made my case on my fleet meeting. However, the handful of frigate captains and the half a dozen freigher/tanker captains in my fleet asked me to consider if we, maybe, are not in a position to challenge the pirates. But I overruled them! A while later, though, I reloaded and spontaneously decided to heed their advice.

Honestly pirates are generally pushovers. Their ships are battered to fuck and even in mint condition they'd still be garbage, they have terrible shields and weapons. I don't think I've ever seen one of these massive pirate armadas you guys are talking about.

If I don't forget I'll provide screenshots later. And the AI factions definately do not consider them to be pushovers. The pirates rape all their fleets, destroy their battlestations and raid their planets.
Finally, the pirate fleets depart satisfied, but before they're even all out of the system, the next incoming raid is announced.

And I didn't do anything to help the pirates except exploring some distant star systems for them, I am not far enough into the game to have found any useful schematics and even weapons I sell on the open market instead of the black market.

Y'know how they say X is Eve Offline. Astrox literally copies Eve's gameplay and UI. Why though? The actual gameplay is Eve's weakest aspect. It's strength comes from interacting with other players in a reactive world. Take that out and you're left with... well Astrox.

have you played astrox? I have not played any of the games on early access I linked. The game play does look similar to eve from the video I watched.

edit:

one thing I will say in defense of that type of game control and style from just going back and watching the astrox video just now is that the video says you form a fleet of up to 10 mercenary ships, and EVE's sort of hands off control system would allow you to actually manage a small fleet whee as having to worry about the facing and maneuvering and aiming of 10 ships would be impossible.

Also if you think about it, the idea that any advanced space ship would ever really be flown super hands on like a world war 2 fighter plane is really probably not very realistic. A computer would likely do nearly everything with a commander just giving overriding commands like in EVE, but I realize these are games and they are made to be played, so really this is a separate argument about realism and is not that relevant.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

I have indeed considered that. And I made my case on my fleet meeting. However, the handful of frigate captains and the half a dozen freigher/tanker captains in my fleet asked me to consider if we, maybe, are not in a position to challenge the pirates. But I overruled them! A while later, though, I reloaded and spontaneously decided to heed their advice.

Honestly pirates are generally pushovers. Their ships are battered to fuck and even in mint condition they'd still be garbage, they have terrible shields and weapons. I don't think I've ever seen one of these massive pirate armadas you guys are talking about.

If I don't forget I'll provide screenshots later. And the AI factions definately do not consider them to be pushovers. The pirates rape all their fleets, destroy their battlestations and raid their planets.
Finally, the pirate fleets depart satisfied, but before they're even all out of the system, the next incoming raid is announced.

And I didn't do anything to help the pirates except exploring some distant star systems for them, I am not far enough into the game to have found any useful schematics and even weapons I sell on the open market instead of the black market.
If you can find the seed for your game (I'd assume it's in options or something? Never bothered with it before) I'd be interested in trying it out myself. Pirate apocalypse sounds kind of interesting.

Don't give up on fighting them though, all you really need is 2 or 3 decent ships to make a big difference. You don't need to take them head on, just joining a battle (especially at a station where all you need to do is distract a few ships so the station is only fighting like 1 capital and 3 cruisers at once instead of 1 capital and 6 cruisers) can turn the tide. Or if you've got a slower ship not suited for harassment, you can use the station as a safe spot to retreat and vent flux in between firing volleys or even tanking shots for the station depending on what sort of ship you have.
I never help them out nor do anything to destabilize colonies like doing smuggling.
Smuggling is safe, it could theoretically cause a shortage if you bought on the open market and sold on the black but you'd need a massive fleet to do it and it wouldn't be profitable that way. Normal smuggling will cause negligible harm. It's actually attacking smugglers that causes damage to colonies, since it lowers access and causes shortages.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom