Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
or if I had the chance to work on a Sacrifice or Legacy of Kain game, that might also be appealing.
The three best RPG games are Spyro the Dragon for aesthetic, Sacrifice for combat and Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain for story
Why are you the way that you are?

No doubt it's yet another boredom-induced sock puppet gimmick account. Setting one's location to Rhodesia is already verging on gimmick territory.

Beastro

Arcane
That's true otherwise, but the number of words isn't accountable of anything. That's just a number. At least not in my book. The whole design was jeopardized over the misconception of the source materials fundom, which sounds especially weird considering the poeple that made it were working on this one too.

We live in a world where people were so butt hurt about the Mercator and other maps making Greenland larger than Africa they made another map that deliberately stretched Africa out to make it larger missing the point that accuracy is what's important in a map and Greenland isn't as as important as Africa, so who gives a damn is it's distorted as fuck especially to Africa's benefit?

Moth

Learned
In the wake of a very unfortunate series of events that involved me breaking up with my girlfriend in the last 48 hours, I considered many drastic measures. Alcoholism, self-harm, wasting my life in Mount and Blade: Warband, becoming a monk, etc.

Ultimately I decided the most masochistic option available was the appropriate response.

Thank you, InXile games, for helping me suffer.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
On a second (or is this my third?) playthrough, I have to admit that the identity of the Specter is one of the better plot twists and plot devices in recent RPG history. It's not like next-level brilliance but it isn't too shabby either.
Just a few more playthroughs to go and you will start considering the game a masterpice. I call this "The Pillars Syndrome".

skaraher

Cipher
The Specter reveal and confrontation sure was underwhelming, you have better build up and payoff confronting the Bloom. Also the last showdown with the First is beyond retarted. She's built up as this heinous figure that will try to destroy you at all cost... and just fold over and do whatever you want without much convincing. Tho it describes any antagonists in this game tbh. Except the Bloom. Gaining its trust during the last chapter and unleashing it against the Sorrow at the end was a cool concept, shame the game around it fails on so many levels.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just a few more playthroughs to go and you will start considering the game a masterpice. I call this "The Pillars Syndrome".

i already consider Weezer a good band. i'm a lost cause, friend.

the best thing I've ever done: I randomly met Rivers Cuomo over a decade ago. when he introduced himself. I said, "what the fuck happened with Maladroit?"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Also the last showdown with the First is beyond retarted. She's built up as this heinous figure that will try to destroy you at all cost... and just fold over and do whatever you want without much convincing.

What do you mean, in the final confrontation her disagreement results in her immediate death.

Or maybe I'm thinking of Matkina. Either way, they were no longer in a position to bargain.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The final showdown in the memovira chambers you skip the fight simply by agreeing with her which gives 0 consequence for what come next, and in the labyrinth she basically does nothing.
What's wrong with that? You had plans, and then plans changed, then she found herself in a place where she's powerless and you're not. :M

Codex Year of the Donut
The final showdown in the memovira chambers you skip the fight simply by agreeing with her which gives 0 consequence for what come next, and in the labyrinth she basically does nothing.
What's wrong with that? You had plans, and then plans changed, then she found herself in a place where she's powerless and you're not. :M
I've watched movies like this before.

skaraher

Cipher

It makes for a boring endgame. Fitting for a boring game.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Is this game any good? Should I play?

It's a walk and talker with very little mandatory combat and people who talk far too much than they really ought to. I liked the story and characters, though many here didn't.

I think most tend to not give Numenera the credit for treating combat largely as "if everything else fails, or something you explicitly WANT to engage in" solution to problems making a good choice for some people who don't like excessive combat in their CRPGs. Where Numenera also sadly fails is by usually spelling out solutions player would probably have way more fun figuring out on their own. I would like to find out on my own that I can use that nearby console to raise a shield and cut off enemies, discouraging them from further combat without the game saying so in my objective tracker, for example.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is this game any good? Should I play?
If you are going to play it, you should ask yourself why.

If you want good writing, read a book instead or play Planescape instead. There are many walls of text in TToN and I didn't find them interesting or too well written.
If you want good combat, then no, just no.
If you want nice graphics, then eh... maybe? It doesn't look bad, IMO.

Now, personally I don't like walls of text much and think that Planescape isn't that interesting, either.
However, I did play through Planescape and wasn't too bored to stop. Yet I had to stop playing TToN out of boredom...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom