Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TOEE is orgasmic

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Ok thanks I'll try that. I noticed it happens every 7 seconds.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Nonsense. You're just playing the wrong edition(s).

Nonsense? They on 3.5e only have high hit points, an aura and good fort saves. Pathfinded added spells for dragons, but ancient dragons are mostly caster level 15 IMO should be at least 25.

Fairfax

Arcane
Nonsense. You're just playing the wrong edition(s).

Nonsense? They on 3.5e only have high hit points, an aura and good fort saves. Pathfinded added spells for dragons, but ancient dragons are mostly caster level 15 IMO should be at least 25.
As I said, wrong editions. 3.5E and PF have relatively weak dragons against insanely overpowered PCs. And dragons already had spells and caster levels long before PF, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
As I said, wrong editions. 3.5E and PF have relatively weak dragons against insanely overpowered PCs. And dragons already had spells and caster levels long before PF, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Had spells but very few spells. an red dragon needs to be "old" in order to cast 3/day suggestion spell. Ironically an PC playing as an Wyrmling has only +4 level adjustment. He after few levels can outclass in spell casting capabilities most adult dragons who lived much more time... I have heard that 5e made dragons stronger but i an not sure. Knew much little about 5e. 1e had weak dragons too.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Losing interest in this cO8 already. :( I love the higher level combat but even that can feel boring when I don't enjoy the context. I hate Verbobonc, it is all made by someone who loved Hommlet and wanted something that is an even bigger pain in the ass. I picked up a bunch of quests and now I don't know where to go. I stumbled across a few places, killed a little dragon and ganked a couple of bad guys who I was supposed to capture but I couldn't work out now. Now I need to find some lost kids and some other stuff, but this isn't for me.

Would much prefer to play TOEE again but with enemies scaled upwards so I can use a higher level party.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
These current quests... they tried to make them investigation style. You go to one guy to get a quest to kill several people, you go to a town busybody, he says maybe a priest would know more, you go to the priest, he says talk to a soldier.... And each person you ask about has large paragraphs of nerd text to read. For me the whole point of playing TOEE is that once you get past the Hommlet, you can just go battle the temple without all the usual quest crap. I get that I'm low tolerance of this sort of thing but it makes crave JA2 or something else with some tactical combat and minimal chores. Oh well. CO8 seems like it is well made if you like the typical RPG stuff though, I am just not the target audience I guess.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
That's why I enjoy Hickory Branch, and Moathouse Return the most. They are all combat focused parts of Co8. Hickory Branch is a wet dream for people who understand that ToEE is a pure simulation of the 3.5 ruleset. It's a gigantic battle with pure combat after combat.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Hmm thanks, that got me interested again. I think I will slog through these chore quests to get to that!

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Found a walkthrough of co8! That will save my sanity. Dialogue in this mod is baaaad even by RPG standards ;p

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Awesome battle against the slavers. They are much higher level so I should have done it later but I reloaded a few times. Higher level D&D is so much more interesting. One of the enemies used Disintegrate on me. I reloaded and my character avoided death. The guy with a magic flail hit like a truck. My rogue died right away and every time I tried to heal her, she just got insta killed by an AOO when she tried to stand up. So I had to leave her unconscious most of the battle. Even my big spells like fireball and ice storm seem really weak now. They barely scratch these higher level enemies. Cone of Cold is ok but hard to get a good shot. I usually just hit my tank with it, worth taking the hit for it to hit the entire bunch of enemies. Tough fight, fun times. Need to get dodge on my rogue now, can't have her dying so often. Would like to craft her a second dagger but don't like using up exp on my cleric. Phat exp from that battle too, it leveled up all my guys to 12 :)

This is some of the best combat I've seen. High level D&D turn based and will lots of other tactical options. I can deal with the goofy writing for more battles like this :> Walkthrough is a life saver though.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Found a walkthrough of co8! That will save my sanity. Dialogue in this mod is baaaad even by RPG standards ;p

Where? I was walking in circles forever on Co8 and it can help a lot;

ven my big spells like fireball and ice storm seem really weak now

Empowered/Maximized fireball still amazing 90 pts of damage, if you summon fire elementals, let then tank while you bombard enemies... Horrid Wilting will deal 20d6 damage(or 20~120 = 70 on average) and is pretty hard to use without hurting party members

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Walkthough a pain to find but this does the trick:
https://co8.org/community/index.php...eight-modpack-new-content-edition.8742/page-2

There is another one on another site but I think you need to register.

Is Empowered/Maximized fireball better than just using a higher level spell? I only just noticed I did that big battle without even resting so I was missing spells, and I was only level 11 :) At 12 I got a lot of big upgrades. Also I got to loot all the uber gear from those guys. That one battle boosted me a huge amount.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Is Empowered/Maximized fireball better than just using a higher level spell? I only just noticed I did that big battle without even resting so I was missing spells, and I was only level 11 :) At 12 I got a lot of big upgrades. Also I got to loot all the uber gear from those guys. That one battle boosted me a huge amount.

Depends a lot of the situation. I mean, if the enemy is weak against fire and you summoned fire elementals pre battle

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Oh yeah I forgot the slavers, that one is a pretty great fight as well.
War of the Golden skull is another enjoyable combat romp.
Also, the hextorite cell quest is REALLY fun, but you will ruin it for yourself if you cheese it and just kill the hextorites before they can start summoning. The best outcome of the fight is if you let them start summoning, and then you have to deal with a fuckload of extremely high level summoned demons and elementals, it can get really crazy when that happens and is a great situation to make use of your high level abilities in combat. Challenge yourself and see if you can actually win the fight by outlasting them until they run out of summons.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Enjoying this now. But I am stuck on a few things, could use any tips. I have a quest to kill "Kendrew Commonworth" who is supposed to be in the brothel in Nulb, but he isn't there. I killed a guy there earlier but I think it was someone else. Quest is still in progress but I can't find him.

The only other quest I can find is to save some kids from the sewers, but it requires a spell that I don't have. Also I think it requires a very high diplomacy or something, higher than I have. Walkthrough says to cast fear on a guy and question him, but he wont speak. I have max diplo and pretty high intimidate. Neither seem to work :/

Do I have to get these finish to get to the other quests?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Hit a total roadblock because of these quests :( Gonna ask on the co8 forum for advice, it might be a bug but not sure. Quest says to find guy, cast charm person on him, interrogate. Repeat on another guy with Fear. I managed to get the spell I needed with a wand but it seems like the skill checks fail when I talk. Got a maxed diplomacy and intimidate pretty high, but no joy. I could grind out another level and see if that helps but I'd rather not do that in case it makes battles too easy.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
There's another really good battle quest going back to welkwood bog as well, and two different battles with groups of dwarves (unrelated to each other). Then the demons and demigods quest is the final boss battle you could say.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Do you know if there is a way to skip quests or a console command? I hoped to get help from Co8 forum but still waiting for moderators approval -.-

jewboy

Arbiter
I would like to point out for those who have not soloed ToEE yet it is actually great fun and is really not too hard. You do have to play strategically though. Soloing as a mage is probably the most fun. If you really cannot get past a certain battle you can always hire an NPC just for that one fight. With mods you don't have to worry about level caps and you should definitely be playing with both Co8 and Temple+ even for a first playthrough. Note that this means you should be using Windows 10 instead of Windows 7 because Temple+ is more compatible with 10. I've never been able to get Temple+ to work at all with Windows 7. I assume most people are using Windows 10 by now anyway.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Sitra Achara

Are you a mod on https://co8.org ? I need admin to approve account so I can post. If not they will probably do it tomorrow, hopefully.
No.

But to answer your question, you can look up the quest enums in the toee ₣older (I think it was in data/rules/ or data/mes, a file called game_quests.mes or sthg like that). And then do game.quests[#].state = qs_completed

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Sitra Achara

Are you a mod on https://co8.org ? I need admin to approve account so I can post. If not they will probably do it tomorrow, hopefully.
No.

But to answer your question, you can look up the quest enums in the toee ₣older (I think it was in data/rules/ or data/mes, a file called game_quests.mes or sthg like that). And then do game.quests[#].state = qs_completed
Thanks! That saves me a lot of screwing around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom