Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Skdursh

Savant
Any tips to getting this to run smoothly on an Intel Core i5 4690K 3.9 GHz/GTX 1970-based system without sacrificing much visual quality? It really seems to run like ass no matter what I do. I'd be happy with just 45 FPS (constant) and one guy claimed on Steam he had it running on his i5/GTX 1070 rig with all details maxed and it never dipped below 60 FPS. I realized then that he was clinically insane. The way KCD just chugs and micro-stutters makes me not enthusiastic about playing it. I've got the latest build + all DLCs, and it's running from an SSD.

It runs at 60fps on my laptop on high settings with an i7-7700hq, gtx 1060 and 16GB RAM at 1080p, so I'm not sure what your issue is. My desktop absolutely smashes it on ultra settings with an i7-8700k, gtx 1080, 32GB RAM at 1440p. What settings are you trying to play at? Are you using the high-res textures? Are your drivers relatively up to date? Is the GAME up to date? Steam or GOG? Do you use anti-virus besides Windows Defender? Could be a number of things causing the issue.

thesecret1

Arcane
Monastery is the shittiest part of the game, there is no way I will ever do that quest "proper" way. Vavras' tendency to include mundane realistic details adds its own charm but it's a double edged sword alright. It also ends up wasting your time on boring bullshit, this was true back in Mafia 1 days.
Interesting. I've seen many people describe monastery as one of the game's highest points, where they reach peak immersion as they go through the monks' daily routine. It seems to be a really love it/hate it kind of thing.

Funposter

Arcane
Monastery is the shittiest part of the game, there is no way I will ever do that quest "proper" way. Vavras' tendency to include mundane realistic details adds its own charm but it's a double edged sword alright. It also ends up wasting your time on boring bullshit, this was true back in Mafia 1 days.
Interesting. I've seen many people describe monastery as one of the game's highest points

It is simultaneously the best and worst section of the game.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Drinking with Hans was great. ArsenBalls, in czech Sralboj Balík :D
Slavs make the best drinking scenes.

I got this exact thing planned for this weekend. What negative perks are you running with?

I picked somnambulant (sometimes wakes elsewhere) and headbucket (gets anxiety from closed helmets). No regrets.

It is hilarious though that when I pressed New Game, first I was greeted to like three "You died" screens before it let me choose the perks.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Any tips to getting this to run smoothly on an Intel Core i5 4690K 3.9 GHz/GTX 1970-based system without sacrificing much visual quality? It really seems to run like ass no matter what I do. I'd be happy with just 45 FPS (constant) and one guy claimed on Steam he had it running on his i5/GTX 1070 rig with all details maxed and it never dipped below 60 FPS. I realized then that he was clinically insane. The way KCD just chugs and micro-stutters makes me not enthusiastic about playing it. I've got the latest build + all DLCs, and it's running from an SSD.

It runs at 60fps on my laptop on high settings with an i7-7700hq, gtx 1060 and 16GB RAM at 1080p, so I'm not sure what your issue is. My desktop absolutely smashes it on ultra settings with an i7-8700k, gtx 1080, 32GB RAM at 1440p. What settings are you trying to play at? Are you using the high-res textures? Are your drivers relatively up to date? Is the GAME up to date? Steam or GOG? Do you use anti-virus besides Windows Defender? Could be a number of things causing the issue.
Could be that 4690k is 4 core 4 thread cpu, where as 7700hq is 4 core 8 thread cpu. :M

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
other quests were never this rigid.
giphy.gif

There are some. Playing with the Devil, or The Good Thief, for example. Same designer BTW. No further disclosures.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yo Smejki, out of curiosity, any major changes in the office under the new owner? In work ethic, morale, pay?

A new Warhorse game-as-a-service looter announcement when?

Smejki

Developer
A bunch of new people on board and...
63d1640f8d082ea4547092b538281a62d721126287c2a818279114dfa6681ccf.jpg

Also our marketing guys are now helping with other THQ/DS games. Tobi is now on Iron Harvest, Christian is on Pathfinder: Kingmaker's glorious community aus Deutchsland, JR does god knows what..
That's about it.
And we moved to bigger offices where we finally fucking fit. For now.

iOS port with lootboxes and free to wait bullshit coming in 2039.

Last edited:

Funposter

Arcane
is this just for physical releases or what? because i've owned this game since day one and the steam store still says R18+

Funposter

Arcane
Apparently it was just a mistake

https://au.ign.com/articles/2019/08...ance-we-happy-few-are-not-banned-in-australia

No, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, We Happy Few Are Not Banned in Australia

Contrary to reports earlier this week, Warhorse Studios’ Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Compulsion Games’ We Happy Few do not appear to have been officially refused classification in Australia.IGN has been in contact with the Australian Classification Board and is awaiting more background on the matter but, since yesterday, the automated International Age Rating Coalition (IARC) game classification tool generated RC ratings for Kingdom Come: Deliverance and We Happy Few have both been amended and now reflect the same R18+ ratings that were earlier applied by the Classification Board itself.

It’s worth noting that Kingdom Come: Deliverance and We Happy Few had remained on sale in Australia since their purported July “bans”, and are still available everywhere we looked at the time of writing.

etc. etc.

Paul_cz

Arcane
There are some. Playing with the Devil, or The Good Thief, for example. Same designer BTW. No further disclosures.

I did Hrátky s čertem few hours ago, I tried two approaches - first follow the women, stay far from them, do not interfere - they eventually left, quest failed and I could not talk to Bohuta about it.
Second - follow the women, observe their crazy nonsense, intervene, lockpick horse ass, beat the fuck out of the two idiots. Bohuta chewed me out afterwards, shame I could not persuade him that it was self-defense at least, but the quest did not seem that bad to me.
Did I miss some other solution? How would you design it?
I though the idea for it was pretty interesting and the execution, while maybe not perfect, was good too.

Also, Ryneš from some czech gaming site said on games.cz podcast that someone from "warhorse circuit" told him that Warhorse is switching to Unreal engine. Guldy says it is fake news. Any comment? (it strucks me as utter nonsense given the amount of time and work it took to get Cryengine where it is in KCD - and eventhough I am playing on a great PC - Ryzen 2700X, 16GB, SSD Evo, RTX2080Ti - I am super impressed with how KCD looks).

Smejki

Developer
Since we would have more likely opted for Unreal, were UE4 available back in the day, it is true we were investigating the possibilities of the engine after KCD release.
We also investigated Lumberyard, CryEngine V, and re-investigated Unity.
But that is only natural. Results? Won't tell you, obviously.

But you are right. All the effort we burned on the KCD tech is a big part of the equation.

Quillon

Arcane
I'd like to see cloth-clipping fixed for the sequel tho I don't know if a possible solution to that alone is worth the transition, tho certainly there are/were more considerations.

Undead Labs switched to Unreal from CE between SoD1&2, the sequel didn't improve over the first game as much as I hoped(if there were any improvements at all, gfx or otherwise); whether this was because of the transition; getting used to new engine tools etc or their sheer incompetence I can't say :P

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I did Hrátky s čertem few hours ago, I tried two approaches - first follow the women, stay far from them, do not interfere - they eventually left, quest failed and I could not talk to Bohuta about it.
Second - follow the women, observe their crazy nonsense, intervene, lockpick horse ass, beat the fuck out of the two idiots. Bohuta chewed me out afterwards, shame I could not persuade him that it was self-defense at least, but the quest did not seem that bad to me.
Did I miss some other solution? How would you design it?
I though the idea for it was pretty interesting and the execution, while maybe not perfect, was good too.
It's an entertaining quest, but it sucks for a couple of reasons. For one, it has no good solution. Whatever you do, people will die and everyone will be pissed at you. That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing in itself, but it's annoying since there's a valid non-lethal solution staring you in the face: knock out the attackers with your fists. Too bad that doesn't work, as the quest simply won't progress if the guys are alive. You can't make them flee either, or stall them in order to buy time for the women to escape. No, either the attackers die or the women die, end of story. It's also pretty funny how the game treats the attackers as some innocent "woodcutters" when they're armed with maces and are even labeled as bandits when you examine their lifeless corpses.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Since we would have more likely opted for Unreal, were UE4 available back in the day, it is true we were investigating the possibilities of the engine after KCD release.

But you are right. All the effort we burned on the KCD tech is a big part of the equation.
Well, personally I hope Cryengine stays, because it has a distinct look compared to unreal and I love how KCD looks and feels. Also that physicality of physically opening doors, picking objects, seeing my body, it's great. Now if only it had raytraced water reflection so those screenspace reflections wouldn't disappear when looking down.

It's an entertaining quest, but it sucks for a couple of reasons. For one, it has no good solution. Whatever you do, people will die and everyone will be pissed at you. That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing in itself, but it's annoying since there's a valid non-lethal solution staring you in the face: knock out the attackers with your fists. Too bad that doesn't work, as the quest simply won't progress if the guys are alive. You can't make them flee either, or stall them in order to buy time for the women to escape. No, either the attackers die or the women die, end of story. It's also pretty funny how the game treats the attackers as some innocent "woodcutters" when they're armed with maces and are even labeled as bandits when you examine their lifeless corpses.

Yeah I like that it is a quest that does not have a neat good guy solution, but it could have been executed better.

In other news, I finally found Reeky and he is half dead, I am sad. In beta I remember him being alive but I guess I took too long here (I did find the two mines first before going to the cave).

Yosharian

Arcane

Have you thought about building your own engine?

Curratum

I know I'm a few hundred pages late, but has this been patched to a more stable, less buggy and somewhat better performing state compared to launch week?

I have money floating in a wallet from a refund and it's just about enough to buy the DLC-included version of this. I love freeroaming, I love beautiful landscapes, if the actual game is good, this will be a bonus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom