Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Cancelled NWN premium module Tyrants of the Moonsea completed and released by Ossian after 13 years

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Beamdog; Luke Scull; Neverwinter Nights; Neverwinter Nights: Tyrants of the Moonsea; Ossian Studios

When Atari cancelled the Neverwinter Nights premium module program back in 2006, there were several modules in development whose creators were forced to change their plans. One of these was Luke "Alazander" Scull's Tyrants of the Moonsea, which was released in an unfinished state on the Neverwinter Vault soon afterwards. Alazander would go on to join Ossian Studios, creators of the similarly cancelled Darkness over Daggerford, where he served as lead designer on Mysteries of Westgate and The Shadow Sun. Last year, an enhanced version of Darkness over Daggerford finally saw release as an official DLC for Beamdog's Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition. It makes sense that Ossian's next move would be to finish and release Tyrants of the Moonsea, but it was still quite a surprise when it suddenly showed up on Steam a few days ago. Here's its description:

Developed by Ossian Studios and based on the original module by Luke Scull, this new, enhanced version of Tyrants of the Moonsea vastly expands this former premium module by adding 70% more story and gameplay, as well as a large amount of new art and audio content.

The harsh frontier land known as the Moonsea is besieged by demons. A mysterious cult has arisen, bent on death and destruction. Amid the chaos, war is imminent between the powerful city-states and their tyrannical rulers. Accompanied by the dwarf merchant Madoc, you approach the town of Voonlar just as the worst snowstorm of the year hits. You soon discover that only you can prevent the total annihilation of the Moonsea at the hands of a legendary and ancient evil...

Explore the treacherous region of the Moonsea, including the infamous Zhentil Keep! Travel by foot and horse through the dark and mysterious lands of Cormanthor and Thar, and by ship across the pirate-infested waters, engaging in ship-to-ship combat. Encounter monstrous foes of unspeakable power in a high-level adventure that will keep you on the edge of your seat. As the old Moonsea battle cry goes: "Dare... and beware!"

Features:
  • An expansion-sized high-level adventure with 20+ hours of gameplay
  • Use the world map to explore 18 areas in the Moonsea region including Zhentil Keep, Cormanthor, Thar, and prominent city-states.
  • Recruit from 5 different companions for your party
  • 5 new monsters to do battle with
  • 14 new character portraits
  • 35 minutes of inspiring new music including exhilarating combat tracks
  • 1,000 lines of new character VO
Buying the enhanced edition of Tyrants of the Moonsea helps to support Ossian Studios' goal of bringing you more Dungeons & Dragons adventures!​

You can grab Tyrants of the Moonsea on Steam for $10, with a 10% discount until next week. As with Darkness over Daggerford, the original unfinished version remains available for download at the Neverwinter Vault.

Luke Scull

Ossian Studios
Developer
Would buy for NWN: Diamond Edition but I dont want to give money to Beamdog.

Why is that?

I dont support developers who cram transsexual characters into a fantasy game devoid of such things just to push their agenda.

I won't comment on the politics of said "agenda," but I will say it is unwise to bite the hand that feeds you and indirectly shame your customer base while disrespecting a classic IP any RPG writer would love to work with. Unfortunately, the individual involved was previously Beamdog's publicist (?!) and acted without sufficient oversight. It happens in a small organization where the leads have a million things on their plates. I'd cut them some slack. Besides, the last two titles have been Ossian-developed, and to quote myself on the topic:

I've little interest in extreme politics and none in inserting them in to the games and novels I write unless they serve the world-building. My focus when writing is to deliver the best story possible and, if applicable, to fully respect the IP with which I've been entrusted. That does not include changing character personalities or inserting hot-button social issues into settings in which they do not make a great deal of sense. So long as I'm writing for Ossian, this will remain the case.

If it hasn't already been mentioned, NWN: Enhanced Edition is currently 75% off in the Steam Daily Deal.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Would buy for NWN: Diamond Edition but I dont want to give money to Beamdog.

Why is that?

I dont support developers who cram transsexual characters into a fantasy game devoid of such things just to push their agenda.

I won't comment on the politics of said "agenda," but I will say it is unwise to bite the hand that feeds you and indirectly shame your customer base while disrespecting a classic IP any RPG writer would love to work with. Unfortunately, the individual involved was previously Beamdog's publicist (?!) and acted without sufficient oversight. It happens in a small organization where the leads have a million things on their plates. I'd cut them some slack. Besides, the last two titles have been Ossian-developed, and to quote myself on the topic:

I've little interest in extreme politics and none in inserting them in to the games and novels I write unless they serve the world-building. My focus when writing is to deliver the best story possible and, if applicable, to fully respect the IP with which I've been entrusted. That does not include changing character personalities or inserting hot-button social issues into settings in which they do not make a great deal of sense. So long as I'm writing for Ossian, this will remain the case.

If it hasn't already been mentioned, NWN: Enhanced Edition is currently 75% off in the Steam Daily Deal.

I remember day 1 buying Mysteries of Westgate despite that limited activation scheme that I hated. I bought it because I liked the work of your studio and wanted to support you, and I always did and I still do hope your company finds a great success.

Now I really hope this is a success for you but I have my principles. I will keep my eye on Beamdog and if I think that they are no longer a company with people set to push certain agenda agenda then I will buy NWNEE and this.

I do wish you best of luck.

Skdursh

Savant
GOG release when? Every update, every new release from Beamdog comes to GOG like 2 weeks to a month later than Steam. Utter bullshit.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
This new expanded version is probably better than 99% of most D&D-based cRPGs released in the last five years, including Pathfinder Kingmaker (which I actually liked a lot before I got burnt out on it). However, I'll probably end up playing swordflight when I get back into NWN modules since people whose opinions & tastes similar to mine keep recommending it. I really liked Mysteries of Westgate. It pushed me to my limits with its two-tier end-boss fight that was satisfying to win but made me truly sweat that it was going to be a three-tier boss attack.

Mortmal

Arcane
Nothing for the original nwn version i guess ? I am not rebuying everything when it still just works fine.

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
I enjoyed Darkness over Daggerford and The Shadow Sun (one of the best mobile RPGs), so I will buy this to support Ossian. Please port The Shadow Sun to PC next.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I enjoyed Darkness over Daggerford and The Shadow Sun (one of the best mobile RPGs), so I will buy this to support Ossian. Please port The Shadow Sun to PC next.
I agree, when is the Shadow Sun sequel guys? Lol.

I was almost worried the studio died out, considering I havent heard anything

Electryon

Savant

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
the individual involved
What a strange way to phrase things. Taking into account all the other incidents involving Beamdog makes it pretty obvious that injecting leftist politics into "their" products is of great importance to them. I sincerely doubt all these instances of dumb agenda pushing were done by rogue employees taking advantage of their superior's distraction.

I feel bad for you because you're obviously passionate about your product and want people to enjoy it, but as long as you are hitched to Beamdog's wagon I refuse to give you any of my money.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I played that Alazander trilogy, was really good but with a very abrupt end, just when it got interesting. Nice to see they've finished it, will try it out.
If Ossian could now also finish Subtlety of Thay...

edit: is there no normal version? Do you really need the Bumdog version of the game?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Debunked by none other than Ed Greenwood, but what the hell would he know, he only invented the fucking setting.

Just like J. K. Rowling now claims that half the characters of her books are gay, its called virtue signalling.

Sure there is magic that can change gender or even turn person into another species, even in the first BG there is a cursed item that changes your gender. This kind of things are can be found in the setting, what is out of place is when you come to a person and ask for its name it immediately tells you its life story that his parents raised her as a boy but she identifiers as a girl. It feels out of place because it is, and the only reason why it is in the game is because certain person wanted to push an agenda.

Luke Scull

Ossian Studios
Developer

A PC port of a 6 year old mobile game? Do you think that would sell? I'm curious. I've considered the idea myself. I think what I'd really like is to develop an isometric RPG in The Shadow Sun setting.

Luke Scull

Ossian Studios
Developer
the individual involved
What a strange way to phrase things. Taking into account all the other incidents involving Beamdog makes it pretty obvious that injecting leftist politics into "their" products is of great importance to them. I sincerely doubt all these instances of dumb agenda pushing were done by rogue employees taking advantage of their superior's distraction.

I feel bad for you because you're obviously passionate about your product and want people to enjoy it, but as long as you are hitched to Beamdog's wagon I refuse to give you any of my money.

Don't feel bad for me because of a videogame. My real life the last few years would make a fine grimdark novel.

What other incidents are you referring to here? The Mizhena/Kotaku interview kerfuffle did a lot of damage to Siege of Dragonspear, but I'm curious what else went down. Every individual (and company) is entitled to a screw-up or two.

Luke Scull

Ossian Studios
Developer
I played that Alazander trilogy, was really good but with a very abrupt end, just when it got interesting. Nice to see they've finished it, will try it out.
If Ossian could now also finish Subtlety of Thay...

edit: is there no normal version? Do you really need the Bumdog version of the game?

Subtletly of Thay is a NWN2 campaign. You'll have to hunt down Dirtywick and poke him.

You need NWN: Enhanced Edition to play the new Tyrants campaign. The old, 1.69 versions of Tyrants (and Daggerford) is still freely available on the Vault.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom